The Student Room Group

Cambridge MPhil Real Estate Finance 2014

Scroll to see replies

Hey mansoor, no nothing yet for me.
Everyone seemed to be hearing about their offers outcome after mid May last year.
By the way, can I ask you your opinion about the MSc you're doing at UCL? Because I am currently hesitating between UCL or Cass for Real Estate so what would you recommend?
Cheers.
Hi guys,

I have received a conditional offer approx. 3 weeks ago (submitted my application in October).. but I'm still waiting for the college membership.
Original post by NoName321
Hi guys,

I have received a conditional offer approx. 3 weeks ago (submitted my application in October).. but I'm still waiting for the college membership.

Congrats! Do you mind sharing the entry requirements that they asked ?
cheers
Thanks!
I guess I have standard entry conditions:
I have to submit an original or certified copy of my Bachelor's Degree Transcript and have to upload a Financial Undertaking Form. In addition, my offer is subject to College membership and formal acceptance of the offer.
However, I have completed my Bachelor degree in 2011, so my final grades were already known when deciding on my application.

Is Cambridge your first choice? I’ve heard that the MSc in Reading is pretty good as well.
Thanks!
I guess I have standard entry conditions:
I have to submit an original or certified copy of my Bachelor's Degree Transcript and have to upload a Financial Undertaking Form. In addition, my offer is subject to College membership and formal acceptance of the offer.
However, I have completed my Bachelor degree in 2011, so my final grades were already known when deciding on my application.

Is Cambridge your first choice? I’ve heard that the MSc in Reading is pretty good as well.

Yes it is, so far I have applied to Reading, UCL, Cass and LSE all in Real Estate courses.
I heard Reading is really good for Real Estate, but as I'm French I need a Uni that is a bit famous outside the UK. Got rejected from LSE but got the three others so I think I'm gonna go for Cass since I believe it is the one that provides the best career options, but maybe I'm wrong I'm not a 100% sure yet.
Did you get a first overall or a 2:1 ? And which college did you apply to ?
Reply 25
Original post by Frenchyplm
Hey mansoor, no nothing yet for me.
Everyone seemed to be hearing about their offers outcome after mid May last year.
By the way, can I ask you your opinion about the MSc you're doing at UCL? Because I am currently hesitating between UCL or Cass for Real Estate so what would you recommend?
Cheers.

IMO, UCL is very academic driven and CASS is business driven--more like a mixture of MBA and class.
Yes it is, so far I have applied to Reading, UCL, Cass and LSE all in Real Estate courses.
I heard Reading is really good for Real Estate, but as I'm French I need a Uni that is a bit famous outside the UK. Got rejected from LSE but got the three others so I think I'm gonna go for Cass since I believe it is the one that provides the best career options, but maybe I'm wrong I'm not a 100% sure yet.
Did you get a first overall or a 2:1 ? And which college did you apply to ?

Yes, I know the problem (I’m from Germany). Honestly, I have some difficulties to convert my grades into the British system. I guess that I have an upper 2:1. I have submitted an open application.. so I have no clue which college currently considers my application…:/
You have to decide whether to accept the offer within one month, right?
Yes, I know the problem (I’m from Germany). Honestly, I have some difficulties to convert my grades into the British system. I guess that I have an upper 2:1. I have submitted an open application.. so I have no clue which college currently considers my application…:/
You have to decide whether to accept the offer within one month, right?

Yes unfortunately you have one month to accept the offer and pay the deposit which is non refundable...
Reply 28
Anyone happens to know about how long it takes to figure out which college grants the membership? It's been two weeks for me to stay on "seeking college membership"
Reply 29
Mine is still "under consideration by department".

Quite pessimistic here :'(
Original post by Xaipe
Anyone happens to know about how long it takes to figure out which college grants the membership? It's been two weeks for me to stay on "seeking college membership"

I am on "seeking college membership" for four weeks now. I read somewhere that it takes on average three weeks to receive an offer for college membership...
Reply 31
Received offer on Monday! Seeking college membership though...
Reply 32
I am on "seeking college membership" for four weeks now. I read somewhere that it takes on average three weeks to receive an offer for college membership...

Hey thanks for sharing. But will the system update if we get rejected by the 1st or 2nd choice? I read somewhere that the status will change as "Unsuccessful at Trinity; seeking membership" etc. so that you know what's going on....or they won't tell you anything until one college notifies?
Original post by Xaipe
Hey thanks for sharing. But will the system update if we get rejected by the 1st or 2nd choice? I read somewhere that the status will change as "Unsuccessful at Trinity; seeking membership" etc. so that you know what's going on....or they won't tell you anything until one college notifies?

I wasn't informed of any change so far. However, I have submitted an open application (maybe it is different if you didn’t)
I’m still waiting…
Reply 34
I wasn't informed of any change so far. However, I have submitted an open application (maybe it is different if you didn’t)
I’m still waiting…

Yea like what i said mine status just switched to unsuccessful at St.john's.....

Damn lol
Original post by tonno
Mine is still "under consideration by department".

Quite pessimistic here :'(

Are you still under consideration ? I called both the Graduate Admissions and the Department yesterday. They said that we should find out in a few weeks but most importantly that since it is quite late if the department says yes you move directly to the last stage of the application process. Hope that helps and best of luck !
Hi guys,
is anyone else currently busy with organizing everything to go to Cambridge? I would like to book flights soon (before they get more expensive), however, I am not quite sure when we have to be present at university. Do you know whether the term dates (http://www.cam.ac.uk/about-the-university/term-dates-and-calendars) mean that we don't have to be present e.g. from Sat 6 Dec to Mon 12 Jan? This time period seems quite long to me.
Hi, I spoke with a student who did his undergrad at Cambridge in Land Economy and currently doing the the Mphil in Real Estate Finance. According to him, real estate companies are always on campus recruiting. They really provide good opportunities and most of them are attracted by the Uni reputation.
Land economy has quite a terrible reputation at Cambridge but the Mphil is supposed to be really good. It is definitely not the best course you can do at there but if you look at other courses available in the UK, it is surely the best for Real Estate.

Hope that helps,

Paul

this is true. There are a lot of real estate companies that target only MPhil REF students, and professors are constantly forwarding emails about job/intern opportunities.

also it is true that land economy is generally not the best, but REF is okay. the course is quite applied, whereas other camb mphils are very theoretical/research orientated

source: mphil finance grad, with lots of friends from mphil REF
Hi Guys
I was wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation. So I failed to achieve the academic conditions attached to my offer, and sent in my transcript roughly a month ago. The document was received and it has been awaiting departmental review for some time. Has anyone experienced something similar ?
Hi All,
This is my first post. I found this forum in my research regarding the MPhil in Real Estate Finance. I am not familiar with UK's system and thought to ask a question here and gain a perspective of everyone in this forum.
Background: I attended City University of New York, B.S. in Aviation Management and graduated with 3.8 CGPA. Currently doing Management Internship from past 8 months in Properties and Commercial Development (Don't feel like naming the organization). I received some major academic awards and aviation finance related scholarships.
What are the chances of getting accepted? How my application is viewed being from US. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending