The Student Room Group

Should I do BTEC L3 IT Extended or A-Level computing?

So I've been debating this for a long time, I am sort of leaning towards the BTEC side, mainly because that I heard that btec is much easier than computing a-level and it's equivalent to 3 alevels (not sure). However many people say that my chances of getting into a good university will be much slimmer if I choose BTEC. What do you guys think?
(BTEC L3 IT Extended & A-Level computing are generally the same thing, programming languages, etc?)
Reply 1
A-levels are the dominating qualification, almost always regarded as the better qualification due to its rigorous academic nature. What this means is that you have to smash your BTEC qualification in order to get into a good university, I'm talking DDD-D*D*D*. On the contrary, some universities may ask for lower grades on their entry requirement web page, although the range I mentioned, is the range you should be aiming for in order to be competitive to receive an offer. Further to this, you must remember that no two DDD BTEC students are at the same 'academic' platform. With a BTEC qualification, YOU control how much you learn, attaining the grades are by no means difficult if you have the right mind set and determination to do so.

Now to answer your question, the BTEC L3 is great if you're a coursework person, but if you find yourself more of an exams person, the suited route into university is through A-levels (IMO!!!). Through the BTEC L3 it is possible, but be prepared for it to be viewed as the lesser qualification. (I'm being realistic here as I'm in the position of completing my first year on a L3 course).
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply. I'm not very good at exams, but I could possibly handle them.
I'd like to hear more opinions regarding this.
Reply 3
Many uni's accept Btecs and not just 'shabby ones' which most TSR members seem to think.

For computer science, many places such as Bath accept them.

I would say if you have the opportunity to do an A level alongside your Btec extended diploma, you have 90% of uni's open to you.
Reply 4
Original post by Jkizer
Many uni's accept Btecs and not just 'shabby ones' which most TSR members seem to think.

For computer science, many places such as Bath accept them.

I would say if you have the opportunity to do an A level alongside your Btec extended diploma, you have 90% of uni's open to you.

Interesting... Which A-Level do you suggest I should do with the btec?
Reply 5
Original post by zcosmin
Interesting... Which A-Level do you suggest I should do with the btec?

If you did Maths a level with your Btec if you can, there will be a lot of confidence from the university's perspective that you can handle all the logical thinking / parts of computer science. I'm sure many RG's and other great universities will see your Btec + Maths combo and will favour you more than the standard Btec student. Even AS maths can go a long way.

Good thing about Maths is that it isnt so much a time consuming subject. Basically after you learn the core principles behind it, its just about practicing some questions.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
I see, thanks for the advice bro :biggrin:
I dont know where youre aiming but the top top unis (think oxbridge etc as well as most RGs although by no means all) tend to prefer a-levels. And you sort of said it- if you think the btec is much easier then it is unlikely to be viewed as equivalent to 3 a levels by univerisities. Personally I would stay clear of btecs and coursework makes up about 25% of a computing a level anyway but do what suits you best and what you think will give you the best prospects!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by somegirlcalledea
I dont know where youre aiming but the top top unis (think oxbridge etc as well as most RGs although by no means all) tend to prefer a-levels. And you sort of said it- if you think the btec is much easier then it is unlikely to be viewed as equivalent to 3 a levels by univerisities. Personally I would stay clear of btecs and coursework makes up about 25% of a computing a level anyway but do what suits you best and what you think will give you the best prospects!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright, I'll have to think about it :s
Reply 9
Original post by zcosmin
So I've been debating this for a long time, I am sort of leaning towards the BTEC side, mainly because that I heard that btec is much easier than computing a-level and it's equivalent to 3 alevels (not sure). However many people say that my chances of getting into a good university will be much slimmer if I choose BTEC. What do you guys think?
(BTEC L3 IT Extended & A-Level computing are generally the same thing, programming languages, etc?)

It completely depends on what units that your college chooses to teach you, in my IT BTEC we cover very similar content to A level Computing so everyone from my class who is going to university will be studying either Computer Science or Computing.

in terms of your university options you will pretty much be able to get in anywhere with DDD (distinctions) although generally universities in the top 10 will ask for Maths at A level, I have an offer for Computer Science at Royal Holloway and other people in my class got into: Southampton, Manchester, Kings college London, Surrey, Bath, Reading, Cardiff & Bournemouth with the BTEC alone (Apart from one who is taking Maths aswell)
Reply 10
It also might be worth checking if your college does any of the following units in the course as they will give you a solid foundation for a degree in Computing or Comp Sci, your college probably wont cover all of these but a few should be good enough:

Unit 19 - Computer systems architecture
Unit 14 - Event driven programming
Unit 15 - Object oriented programming
Unit 16 - Procedural Programming
Unit 9 - Computer Networks
Unit 26 - Maths for IT practitioners
Unit 6 - Software design and development
Unit 11 - Systems analysis & design
Unit 21 - Data Analysis & design
Unit 23 - HCI
Reply 11
Here are some of the units which the college im planning on going are doing,
Hammersmith College:
Application Development Pathway will include units on Software Design & Development, Developing Computer Games, Object Oriented Programming, Event Driven Programming.

City and Islington College:

Communication and Employability Skills for IT. This unit will enable you todevelop the relevant interpersonal and teamworking skills required in the workplace.

Computer Systems.This unit will help you to understand, specify, and justify the key components that make a modern personal computer system.

Information Systems. Through this unit you will understand and evaluate the role of IT systems in providing relevant and useful data and information to key people and functions in businesses and organisations.

Software Design and Development. During this unit, you will apply techniques and methods to create program solutions.

Spreadsheet Modelling. In this unit, you will analyse a complex problem, and design and implement a multi-worksheet solution using advanced features of Excel.

Website Authoring. During this unit, you will plan, design, create and evaluate a sophisticated website.

Organisational Systems Security. In this unit, you will evaluate the systems and procedures used to implement effective data security.

Mathematics for IT. This unit will enable you to apply mathematical techniques to solve business and IT-related problems.

Event Driven Programming. This unit will cover using a visual programming environment to build a visual program that responds to user events.

Year 2:

Object Oriented Development. In this unit, you will design and develop programmes using attributes and methods using Microsoft C#.

Client Side Customisation of Web Pages. In this unit, you will use HTML5, CSS and Javascript to customise the design and layout of a website.

Event Driven Programming. In this unit, you will use Apple`s XCode and Microsoft C# to build programmes with a user interface.

Systems Analysis. This unit will teach you how to produce the technical documentati

What college would you guys pick?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by zcosmin
Here are some of the units which the college im planning on going are doing,
Hammersmith College:
Application Development Pathway will include units on Software Design & Development, Developing Computer Games, Object Oriented Programming, Event Driven Programming.

City and Islington College:

Communication and Employability Skills for IT. This unit will enable you todevelop the relevant interpersonal and teamworking skills required in the workplace.

Computer Systems.This unit will help you to understand, specify, and justify the key components that make a modern personal computer system.

Information Systems. Through this unit you will understand and evaluate the role of IT systems in providing relevant and useful data and information to key people and functions in businesses and organisations.

Software Design and Development. During this unit, you will apply techniques and methods to create program solutions.

Spreadsheet Modelling. In this unit, you will analyse a complex problem, and design and implement a multi-worksheet solution using advanced features of Excel.

Website Authoring. During this unit, you will plan, design, create and evaluate a sophisticated website.

Organisational Systems Security. In this unit, you will evaluate the systems and procedures used to implement effective data security.

Mathematics for IT. This unit will enable you to apply mathematical techniques to solve business and IT-related problems.

Event Driven Programming. This unit will cover using a visual programming environment to build a visual program that responds to user events.

Year 2:

Object Oriented Development. In this unit, you will design and develop programmes using attributes and methods using Microsoft C#.

Client Side Customisation of Web Pages. In this unit, you will use HTML5, CSS and Javascript to customise the design and layout of a website.

Event Driven Programming. In this unit, you will use Apple`s XCode and Microsoft C# to build programmes with a user interface.

Systems Analysis. This unit will teach you how to produce the technical documentati

What college would you guys pick?

I would say City & Islington, the IT(Software Development) would be preferred by universities for Computing or Comp Sci, I just did the general IT one but covered most of the units in the City & Islington course, it looks like a good selection of units, i really wish i could have done the OOP unit as that's what most universities will teach, although they are only listing 13 units on the website so you will have to do another 5 on top of that as the extended diploma requires 18 units, they might give you the option to choose 5 from the course bank when you get there or they might have 5 that they already plan on doing.
Reply 13
Original post by yt7777
I would say City & Islington, the IT(Software Development) would be preferred by universities for Computing or Comp Sci, I just did the general IT one but covered most of the units in the City & Islington course, it looks like a good selection of units, i really wish i could have done the OOP unit as that's what most universities will teach, although they are only listing 13 units on the website so you will have to do another 5 on top of that as the extended diploma requires 18 units, they might give you the option to choose 5 from the course bank when you get there or they might have 5 that they already plan on doing.

Thanks a lot, I will probably will apply for city.
Reply 14
Original post by zcosmin
Thanks a lot, I will probably will apply for city.

Nice one, good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest