The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature AS Victorian and Tennyson

Hi,
I'm going over my wider reading in relation to the Victorian section on the syllabus, but I was just wondering if anyone has any predictions on the themes which could come up on both the Victorian and Tennyson part? Also how are you revising and is it effective?
I'm stressing out about this exam haha. :s-smilie:
Original post by Hogwartianwand14
Hi,
I'm going over my wider reading in relation to the Victorian section on the syllabus, but I was just wondering if anyone has any predictions on the themes which could come up on both the Victorian and Tennyson part? Also how are you revising and is it effective?
I'm stressing out about this exam haha. :s-smilie:

For the Victorian Section 1, I think that it with either be class and women, or science vs religion, I've made a list of the previous section one questions for both january and the summer exams, which are;
2013- Industrialisation & Empire and women
2012- Women & Empire
2011- Science vs Religion & social problems in culure
2010- working class and the position of women

For the Tennyson, i have no idea as this is only the second year he's appeared! Although i highly doubt it will be loss and longing as that was last years! As for revision, this is a retake for me so i haven't been studying too hard for this particular exam, but i have complied a list of quotes for each of the topics that may come up; ideas of progress (industrialization & empire), evolving attitudes (culture , religion and science), social problems (urban poverty and the working class) and the position of women! It seems like a lot, and i guess it kinda is, but once you break it down you will find some of the same texts emerging for each topic so it isn't too awful! Past papers also helps a lot too!
Good luck!
Shauna
PS, i'm assuming that you mean AQA English lit spec A here!
Hi, I am doing John Clare so can't help you with the Tennyson. But I have a really bad gut feeling that religion vs science will come up, either that or urban poverty based on what has come up in previous years. Still, it's best to revise every topic area as I highly doubt AQA will keep the extract restricted to just one topic area which is evident in the past papers.
Original post by ShaunaLaurenRose
For the Victorian Section 1, I think that it with either be class and women, or science vs religion, I've made a list of the previous section one questions for both january and the summer exams, which are;
2013- Industrialisation & Empire and women
2012- Women & Empire
2011- Science vs Religion & social problems in culure
2010- working class and the position of women

For the Tennyson, i have no idea as this is only the second year he's appeared! Although i highly doubt it will be loss and longing as that was last years! As for revision, this is a retake for me so i haven't been studying too hard for this particular exam, but i have complied a list of quotes for each of the topics that may come up; ideas of progress (industrialization & empire), evolving attitudes (culture , religion and science), social problems (urban poverty and the working class) and the position of women! It seems like a lot, and i guess it kinda is, but once you break it down you will find some of the same texts emerging for each topic so it isn't too awful! Past papers also helps a lot too!
Good luck!
Shauna
PS, i'm assuming that you mean AQA English lit spec A here!

I've just seen your reply, sorry! And yeah it was spec a haha. Thank you! How did you find the exam? :smile:
Original post by jjmichaeljadson
Hi, I am doing John Clare so can't help you with the Tennyson. But I have a really bad gut feeling that religion vs science will come up, either that or urban poverty based on what has come up in previous years. Still, it's best to revise every topic area as I highly doubt AQA will keep the extract restricted to just one topic area which is evident in the past papers.

I was dreading the fact that science vs religion would come up so luckily it didn't! The extract was odd though :/ how did you find the exam? :smile:
Original post by Hogwartianwand14
I was dreading the fact that science vs religion would come up so luckily it didn't! The extract was odd though :/ how did you find the exam? :smile:

Ahh I was very gutted it didn't come up :frown:. BUT it could have been a lot worse if urban poverty came up! I found the contextual linking fairly okay but I cut in to the poetry time by 15 mins because one of the questions that came up on John Clare, followed the same structure as an essay I had already completed for extra essay practice. Although, I don't feel I did my best on the poetry. Oh well, it's over now, just going to focus on my next exams. I found a lot of opportunities to make links in the extract so it wasn't all bad aha. How about you?

Quick Reply

Latest