The Student Room Group

Would it annoy you if someone misspelt your name?

Scroll to see replies

Happens regularly, even places like the bank that should have the correct spelling on file.
My name is almost never spelt correctly.
Reply 22
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Happens regularly, even places like the bank that should have the correct spelling on file.

Original post by Autistic Merit
My name is almost never spelt correctly.

How do you correct it/them?
Original post by kka25
Well, not really misspelt it, just using another variation of it such as Elisabeth/Elizabeth or Susanna/Susannah, Margo/Margot, Mae/May?

It can bit irritating. And it can be tiresome to keep correcting people.
I have that issue with my last name. But i just spell it for them as soon as ive said it if i need to.
I don't mind if they've never seen my name written out, my name has a few different spellings so that's understandable BUT I get realllly annoyed when my name is right there and they still spell it wrong! So many teachers will write a comment on a test I've done and spell my name wrong and it just looks so bad, like they're not paying any attention at all to what they're doing.
People always spell my surname wrong :sigh:

But first name, no.
I remember one of my housemates at uni was called Dale, and when she phoned up to order some concert tickets they addressed her as Stale on the envelope.

I think its a bit annoying when people get a name wrong on purpose as a way of showing lack of respect. My ex girlfriend was called Joanna, and my Mum (who never really thought much of her) always called her Joanne. Literally always, I would have to correct her on it two or three times a day and she just carried on. Always annoyed me more than Joanna, because I knew the undercurrent was just to get her name wrong to show she didn't really care about who she was.
Original post by ILovePancakes
I'm Natalia but people always call me Natalie:frown:

Pretty name :smile:

People always put a "h" in my name, but I don't mind too much because that's the French spelling of my name.

My middle name is Mae, but I rarely have to use it, so it doesnt really matter. If I have to tell somebody my whole name, I just say "Mae with an 'e'"
Original post by thenewone61
No. My name's Sofia and people tend to spell it as Sophia. I'm called Sophie all the time.

That just reminds of the programme my baby sister watches...Sofia the First...I'm forced to watch it during my revision...
Reply 29
Countless times lol. I dunno why but I`ve never corrected anyone on it...
Reply 30
Original post by dieschülerin
I don't mind if they've never seen my name written out, my name has a few different spellings so that's understandable BUT I get realllly annoyed when my name is right there and they still spell it wrong! So many teachers will write a comment on a test I've done and spell my name wrong and it just looks so bad, like they're not paying any attention at all to what they're doing.

Yeah, that can be slightly ironic right? :wink:

Original post by MagicNMedicine
I remember one of my housemates at uni was called Dale, and when she phoned up to order some concert tickets they addressed her as Stale on the envelope.

Honestly, I'd just :teehee: reading that.

Sorry :colondollar:

I think its a bit annoying when people get a name wrong on purpose as a way of showing lack of respect. My ex girlfriend was called Joanna, and my Mum (who never really thought much of her) always called her Joanne. Literally always, I would have to correct her on it two or three times a day and she just carried on. Always annoyed me more than Joanna, because I knew the undercurrent was just to get her name wrong to show she didn't really care about who she was.

Hurm... that can be annoying : /
People, including those who know me, sometimes misspell and often even mispronounce it. But how hard is Kent, for god's sake?
No. They never spell it right. But my surnames foreign
Reply 33
Original post by cambio wechsel
People, including those who know me, sometimes misspell and often even mispronounce it. But how hard is Kent, for god's sake?

I hardly find 'Kent' to be a difficult name to pronounce or spell. :confused:

How did they spell or pronounce it?
Original post by PsychadelicScarf
Pretty name :smile:

People always put a "h" in my name, but I don't mind too much because that's the French spelling of my name.

My middle name is Mae, but I rarely have to use it, so it doesnt really matter. If I have to tell somebody my whole name, I just say "Mae with an 'e'"

Mae is pretty too. I actually prefer Mae with an e instead of a y :tongue:.
Original post by thenewone61
Damn it, man! I just YT'd it and now I'm watching this for no reason lol. Why do the videos have so many dislikes?!

I don't know, its on the Telly, Disney Junior. My baby sister can't stop watching it...
Original post by kka25
Well, not really misspelt it, just using another variation of it such as Elisabeth/Elizabeth or Susanna/Susannah, Margo/Margot, Mae/May?

Nope
If you get offended then you get offended skrrr

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Rick isn't that difficult to spell although I've seen some spell it as Rik.

It's more common for people to assume my name is a shortened version and they call me RIchard or for me to mistake a rhyming word for my name.. It's a bit unfortunate.

I'm reminded of this
Yeah... I get so mad if someone makes a mistake.
I don't really mind, people sometimes spell it leanne as opposed to lianne but I don't mind, I'd be a bit cheesed if you'd known me for ages but that's only really apparent at Christmas time :unimpressed:
My surname on the other hand .... :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest