The Student Room Group

Changing courses

Does anyone know whether its possible to change to course shortly after starting the first year or whether I would have to apply again through UCAS?

By the way I would be going from classics to law.
Thanks
You might be able to negotiate it, but I wouldn't recommend trying immediately after starting. Start with the course, but do some law somehow as well, to demonstrate interest and ability. Proceed with it, then broach the subject. I think they would look askance at changing right away because what you choose affects your chances of getting it, so they may see it as a bait and switch.
Reply 2
Original post by PodgyBoy
Does anyone know whether its possible to change to course shortly after starting the first year or whether I would have to apply again through UCAS?

By the way I would be going from classics to law.
Thanks

It has become much harder to upgrade from a less competitive entry degree course in recent years, however if you score very highly at A2 it may be possible. I would consider speaking to the college now so that they are aware of you if somebody fails to make their offer for law.They may want to do a "law" interview.
The easiest way to change course is after scoring a first (or a high 2:1) in your first year Part one exams. You would stand a good chance of being allowed to swap to Part 2 law for the next 2 years which would still give you enough law to qualify. . If you want to do law as a career its also possible to do the classics degree then do a two year GDL "conversion course". If you get a training contract with a big firm the employer will often pay for part or all of this.

I'm assuming you are holding an offer for the three year classics degree not the four year?
Reply 3
Original post by Colmans
It has become much harder to upgrade from a less competitive entry degree course in recent years, however if you score very highly at A2 it may be possible. I would consider speaking to the college now so that they are aware of you if somebody fails to make their offer for law.They may want to do a "law" interview.
The easiest way to change course is after scoring a first (or a high 2:1) in your first year Part one exams. You would stand a good chance of being allowed to swap to Part 2 law for the next 2 years which would still give you enough law to qualify. . If you want to do law as a career its also possible to do the classics degree then do a two year GDL "conversion course". If you get a training contract with a big firm the employer will often pay for part or all of this.

I'm assuming you are holding an offer for the three year classics degree not the four year?

This is very reassuring. Would it be much easier to go from Classics to Law than from say Classics to Economics? Yes I've got an offer to do the 3 year course.

I don't really want to tell the college now because they're paying for my Greek tuition prior to the course, I'd much rather ask anonymously whether what youre saying is feasible. Can you really skip the GDL if youve done Law for just 2 years? I'd be very happy to do the GDL if I can secure a place at a law firm beforehand because my only issue with doing the GDL would be the significantly diminished chance of getting a job at a magic circle law firm. Would that even be possible with a Classics degree or do I definitely need to do some Law during my 3 years?
Reply 4
Original post by PodgyBoy
This is very reassuring. Would it be much easier to go from Classics to Law than from say Classics to Economics? Yes I've got an offer to do the 3 year course.

I don't really want to tell the college now because they're paying for my Greek tuition prior to the course, I'd much rather ask anonymously whether what youre saying is feasible. Can you really skip the GDL if you've done Law for just 2 years? I'd be very happy to do the GDL if I can secure a place at a law firm beforehand because my only issue with doing the GDL would be the significantly diminished chance of getting a job at a magic circle law firm. Would that even be possible with a Classics degree or do I definitely need to do some Law during my 3 years?

You have to do a 2yr GDL if you haven't done a law degree. My understanding is that 2 yrs of the Cambridge course is enough but no doubt you can email Cambridge law dept to check that (Or somewhere like BPP in London).
I had a friend who did a NatSci degree and subsequently got a contract after the first year of GDL, they then reimbursed her the previous year and paid for the second. Another friend got a GDL paid for from the beginning from a Geography degree. .Both of them are top ten London firms, the NatSci one is magic circle. The Law degree is not highly vocational and I don't think it is significantly preferred by London firms over any other Cambridge degree. I have to admit they both got firsts but I suspect this is pretty helpful even if its a law degree.

Economics you need high Maths & FM (above 95%) UMS. It is more competitive at entry than Law but I would have thought requires somewhat different interests and appeals to those who have a science base more than Law (as a generalisation).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Im doing FM and I got a 94
Original post by Colmans
You have to do a 2yr GDL if you haven't done a law degree. My understanding is that 2 yrs of the Cambridge course is enough but no doubt you can email Cambridge law dept to check that (Or somewhere like BPP in London).
I had a friend who did a NatSci degree and subsequently got a contract after the first year of GDL, they then reimbursed her the previous year and paid for the second. Another friend got a GDL paid for from the beginning from a Geography degree. .Both of them are top ten London firms, the NatSci one is magic circle. The Law degree is not highly vocational and I don't think it is significantly preferred by London firms over any other Cambridge degree. I have to admit they both got firsts but I suspect this is pretty helpful even if its a law degree.

Economics you need high Maths & FM (above 95%) UMS. It is more competitive at entry than Law but I would have thought requires somewhat different interests and appeals to those who have a science base more than Law (as a generalisation).

Im doing FM and I got 93/94 UMS for AS level. If I work hard for the 95% what else would I have to fulfill to meet the Economics requirements? Ill ask the Law Dept and BPP to see what they see.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending