The Student Room Group

illusionz' ICF blog

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Angry cucumber
Looking good man :biggrin:

You'll reach a stage when you are too small to be in your old size, but not big enough for the size above.. I'm in this area, finding t-shirts etc is a nightmare

Posted from TSR Mobile

wear polos
Original post by Implication
lookin gud bro

Thinking of hopping on ICF when I've finished cutting... would you recommend it? Was gonna do SS or maybe even SL but I'm feeling adventurous atm and the extra work could be fun. Seems like it's giving good results for a fair few people.

Alternatively I'm thinking of risking with my gains and trying to create my own full body routine involving loads and loads of low-rep sets of heavy compounds and nought else. People seem to think high rep sets are important, particularly on the high rep front, but I'm convinced lots of sets with low reps will achieve a good result. Could be fun to test it!

I like ICF and I have had good gains from it but the workouts are fairly long. When I'm doing compounds at the limit of what I can do (squats especially), I really need the 4-5min rests and as a result it takes a long time. Recently I've started supersetting the bicep/tricep accessory work to speed the whole thing up a bit.

My goal is primarily aesthetics with strength a nice bonus, so I wanted a routine with direct arm work which SS/SL both lack. ICF fits the bill, I've gotten a lot stronger and also noticed significant arm gains which is a common complaint with SS/SL.
bench
72.5 5, 5, 4+f. My first failure on a bench. Unspotted. Some guy next to me jumped in when he saw I was massively struggling.
then did DBs 26 3x8. Technically a PB but not special given my BB bench.

rows
for some reason couldn't even get 1 rep of 72.5 even though I've done it before.
70 5x5 alternating overhand and underhand grip

Seem to really be stalling on bench and row, potentially time for a reset.

Legs - still niggle in knee, better than monday but don't want to push it with squats. Tried leg press but got some strange numbness in my right quad which I got on my last set on monday, but this time it came half way through my first warm up set. Sacked it off for single leg split squats. 5x5 60kg each leg.

shrugs, barbell and smith in use so did cable machine. 91kg 3x10. easy.

skullcrushers
ez+22.5

biceps 35kg bar 8 8 6.

abs
Didn't want to go to the gym today as knackered after work and want to go out. But the promise of my mate who works there and his straps for deadlifting was too good to miss.

Knees still a bit niggly so didn't squat. Fresh for dem deadlifts.

60, 100 x5 DOH
140 x3 Mixed
Strapped up.
160x5
170x5 PB
180x1 PB
190x1 PB
195xf Got 95% of the way there but didn't feel I got a full lockout. Am sure I'll hit it soon.

Back was ravaged after those.
OHP 50 2x5
45 3x8

Think tiredness/deadlifts taking a lot out of me meant these weren't as good as I hoped. Accidently dropped the bar at the end of my 2nd set of 5, so dropped to higher rep 40.

Didn't row as back.

Dips BWx9 8 8 8
Inc curls 16s x 8, 5
12s x 8 8 7

Did all the above accessory work with very small rests as in a rush.

Overall a bit of a bro session but very glad I went for dat der huge DL pb.
If we take my upper body and your lower body.. ultimate beginner gainz? :tongue:

Very nice DL :biggrin: Bro session of peace!
Original post by illusionz

170x5 PB
180x1 PB
190x1 PB

Monster! Now get some damned chalk and pull that every session!!!
If we take my upper body and your lower body.. ultimate beginner gainz? :tongue:

Very nice DL :biggrin: Bro session of peace!

ha so true.
Original post by Implication
Monster! Now get some damned chalk and pull that every session!!!

I'm now massively split as to whether to buy chalk or straps. Or just both. I likely won't pull as much with chalk but will train my grip/forearm at least.
Chalk for sure.

You don't want to be reliant on straps!
ha so true.

I'm now massively split as to whether to buy chalk or straps. Or just both. I likely won't pull as much with chalk but will train my grip/forearm at least.
Original post by tehforum
Chalk for sure.

You don't want to be reliant on straps!

At the same time... why have my grip be the limit of what I can lift. I do deadlift for my back/lower body.

Having done some research it seems there's no general consensus. Depends whether I want to train my grip with the deadlift or do other things for it. Will need to think.
Well the first step is to get chalk so you get to carry on making progress

And when your progress stalls then use straps
At the same time... why have my grip be the limit of what I can lift. I do deadlift for my back/lower body.

Having done some research it seems there's no general consensus. Depends whether I want to train my grip with the deadlift or do other things for it. Will need to think.
Dude that is some MONSTROUS deadlift progress. Can't believe you casually pulled the 170*5 after wasting energy on 160*5 then going all the way up to 190*1 and just failing 195....200 at least fresh IMO.

Can't believe you've only been deadlifting 4 months/lifting 8 months in total. You and cucumber both make mad gains lol.
Couldn't train monday due to bank holiday so went this evening before going out. #lashlashlash Was rather rushed so supersetted pretty much everything. Also gym was bare busy (I guess due to monday being bank holiday and so everyone coming today instead). Had to adjust routine a bit depending on what was free to use.

DB split squats 30kgs. 3x8. Easy. Feel this in glutes more than smith squat but less in knees. Will try smith squat again soon as think knees getting better.

DB bench (BB was in use). 26kg x8, 28kg 3x8.

Row (deloaded to 65kg) 5x5. Deloaded because wasn't making progress from 72.5,

Shrugs (actual BB) 80 3x8.

Skulls EZ+22.5 3x8

Straight bar curls 35kg 8,8,6. 12kg inc curls 7,7
Straps and liquid chalk ordered. Path to 5 plate deadlift starts here.
I'm slightly worried about squatting at the moment. Played hockey on wednesday and knees felt not quite right all of thurs and friday. I wonder whether the rumors of smith machine squats being bad for one's knees are true.

Problem is DBs at my gym only go up to 30kg so bulgarian split squats aren't challenging, and leg press up to 160kg also.

Time to turn into a bro (and a deadlifter).

Just realised this isn't the muscle building soceity and there's an OHP competition thread with 28 pages. Man I've been blind.

Moving convo to here :tongue:

Quite possibly the smith machine catching up on you

You have access to a barbell, so you could add weight to stuff doing split squats with it if you are able to rack it on something. If not, you could try doing hack squats as in pic... no idea if they're any good, commandant in the past has done snatch grip deads and said they were good for a quad workout, especially on a deficit.

Moving convo to here :tongue:

Quite possibly the smith machine catching up on you

You have access to a barbell, so you could add weight to stuff doing split squats with it if you are able to rack it on something. If not, you could try doing hack squats as in pic... no idea if they're any good, commandant in the past has done snatch grip deads and said they were good for a quad workout, especially on a deficit.

Indeed. Squatting 5x5 3x a week is a lot of volume.

I have no way to get barbell from floor to back except for clean and press so not really an option. Will look into hack squats and snatch grip deads. Just read an article on t-nation about them, look interesting.

Hack squats could be interesting, I do have a large arse (has been an issue with barbell behind body shrugs). Hope it won't get in the way :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Indeed. Squatting 5x5 3x a week is a lot of volume.

I have no way to get barbell from floor to back except for clean and press so not really an option. Will look into hack squats and snatch grip deads. Just read an article on t-nation about them, look interesting.

Hack squats could be interesting, I do have a large arse (has been an issue with barbell behind body shrugs). Hope it won't get in the way :biggrin:

I tried hack squats for a bit and couldn't get them right at all. Bar would always bang into my hams on the way up then I'd **** up the back of my calves on the way down lol. The ROM is also a lot less than back squats unless you do them at a deficit I should think.

SGDLs are good but will murder your upper back too (and aren't exactly easy on flexibility when done from a deficit). I really think the purists and rippetoe fanboys are right when they say there is no squat substitute.. squat cleans, front squats and deadlift variations probably are the next best thing if the Smith machine is ****ing with you and there's no rack.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
The 200kg deadlift has been tamed. Full update to follow.
Gym today. Was going to be workout A but the guy with straps was there. I got tempted despite knowing my own ones are on their way. Nonetheless arrived and barbell in use.

Did DB bench 3x8 on 28kg first
Then barbell was free.

Deadlifts

DOH
60x5
100x3

Mixed
140x3

Straps
170x2
200x1
170x2
170x2
170x2

Could have probably done 3x3 of the 170s but back was feeling it after the 200 and didn't want to push it too much.

Then back into the proper workout.

Shrugs
85kg 8x3

Rows (deloaded)
67.5 5x5

EZ bar in use so couldn't do skullcrushers, did dips instead.

Dips
BW+8kg 8,7,6
BW 7,6

Bar curls
35kg 8,6

Incline curls
14kg 8,6
12kg 5

I've been getting a bit crap with my routine last few weeks. Combination of stalling bench/rows, back/knee issues with squats and the excitement of straps for deadlifting have messed things about a bit. Have deloaded rows and going to deload barball bench (will still do DB if can't get on the barbell though). Hopefully liquid chalk will have arrived by my next DL session so will go for 5 rep LP with chalk (will likely only use straps for heavy singles/doubles).

Still undecided as to what to do re squats. Will try hack squats soon.
How strict are you doing your rows?

From a dead hang with no drive whatsoever?

Also, congrats on the 200kg, mad.
Original post by tehforum
How strict are you doing your rows?

From a dead hang with no drive whatsoever?

Also, congrats on the 200kg, mad.

Yates style, palms underneath bar. To my knowledge I don't use my legs/hips at all.

Quick Reply

Latest