The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rosie786
I did not anywhere said 'ALL'.

I still fail to understand why you're asking this question and this still seems like a mild fetishisation. You can't qualify a generalisation by insisting it doesn't apply to everyone you're stereotyping.

Original post by Infinity_4652
that really isn't necessary :biggrin:

Aha, well, we both went to celebrate said mutual friend's birthday and he found out I was gay after I left. Afterwards, he kept sending me Facebook messages asking for sex on more-or-less a daily basis and called me a prude or, ironically, a slut when I declined, until a very muscular and protective friend stepped in and persuaded him to stop with some well-chosen words.
Reply 41
There might be not saying there aren't. but the gay guys who I have happen to come across have been hot. So just stating my opinion.

But of course you'd usually come across attractive homosexual men. What are the chances you'd often talk to unattractive homosexual men? [[Bonus: What are the chances a homosexual man would tell you they're homosexual anyway?]]
Reply 42
Original post by Asariond
I still fail to understand why you're asking this question and this still seems like a mild fetishisation. You can't qualify a generalisation by insisting it doesn't apply to everyone you're stereotyping.

What is wrong with asking this question. People post nonsense on TSR but no one bats an eyelid. but if I did then I am the bad one?

I AM NOT STEREOTYPING. you might have come across ugly gay men. but I have not. so what is so hard for you to digest here.
Reply 43
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
But of course you'd usually come across attractive homosexual men. What are the chances you'd often talk to unattractive homosexual men? [[Bonus: What are the chances a homosexual man would tell you they're homosexual anyway?]]

Erm the ones who i have come across have been hot and also telling me that they are gay?
What is wrong with asking this question. People post nonsense on TSR but no one bats an eyelid. but if I did then I am the bad one?

I AM NOT STEREOTYPING. you might have come across ugly gay men. but I have not. so what is so hard for you to digest here.

Saying 'gay guys are hot' is stereotyping. If you do not realise that then you do not understand the definition of stereotyping. The reason it's wrong to ask this question is because it's fetishising gay men just because they're gay. Which is bad, in case you hadn't noticed. If you really need empirical proof that unattractive gay guys exist, Google Perez Hilton.
Reply 45
Saying 'gay guys are hot' is stereotyping. If you do not realise that then you do not understand the definition of stereotyping. The reason it's wrong to ask this question is because it's fetishising gay men just because they're gay. Which is bad, in case you hadn't noticed. If you really need empirical proof that unattractive gay guys exist, Google Perez Hilton.

Well that is my opinion I would not change it in the same way you have yours and you would not change them.

If someone posted a thread 'Straights girls are hot'. I would be happy. why are you being so defensive for? does not make sense.
Reply 46
Erm the ones who i have come across have been hot and also telling me that they are gay?

Hmm sounds a little odd to me for someone to just simply tell someone they're gay, I mean, I don't tell everyone I'm straight [[I've often been mistaken to be gay though, whoops]].

Do you talk to guys who aren't particularly attractive or nothing special in terms of looks?
Original post by Blackshadow
They don't have to deal with stress caused by females and hence look more attractive and do not have stress lines.

Same goes for gay women. :wink: No stress caused by males.
Reply 48
Hmm sounds a little odd to me for someone to just simply tell someone they're gay, I mean, I don't tell everyone I'm straight [[I've often been mistaken to be gay though, whoops]].

Do you talk to guys who aren't particularly attractive or nothing special in terms of looks?

I talk to everyone :biggrin:
Reply 49
I talk to everyone :biggrin:

Fair enough! :smile: What are the chances some of them are gay and they haven't told you yet? :P
Well that is my opinion I would not change it in the same way you have yours and you would not change them.

If someone posted a thread 'Straights girls are hot'. I would be happy. why are you being so defensive for? does not make sense.

If you have an opinion that will not be changed by reason and evidence to the contrary then you are a fanatic. To be a fanatic about something as trivial about this is idiotic.

I am 'defensive' because I object to being fetishised by someone because of my sexuality. I am 'defensive' because I object to the stereotype that all gay guys are good-looking, because it damages the self-esteem of many average-looking gays who think they will never be good enough. I am 'defensive' because people who learn I'm gay stop thinking of me as a person who loves history, philosophy, literature, and art, and they just think 'oh look well-proportioned piece of meat to go shopping with and ogle at.'
Reply 51
If you have an opinion that will not be changed by reason and evidence to the contrary then you are a fanatic. To be a fanatic about something as trivial about this is idiotic.

I am 'defensive' because I object to being fetishised by someone because of my sexuality. I am 'defensive' because I object to the stereotype that all gay guys are good-looking, because it damages the self-esteem of many average-looking gays who think they will never be good enough. I am 'defensive' because people who learn I'm gay stop thinking of me as a person who loves history, philosophy, literature, and art, and they just think 'oh look well-proportioned piece of meat to go shopping with and ogle at.'

I have gay friends and they do not find what I say to be so offensive like you are. same as if someone says 'straight men are hot'. Would you still still be so defensive?. People might but I don't. I know a gay guy who is more brilliant in academics than I am. What is the point of being so offended when all I am doing is praising gay men?
Why don't you just shve your head and wear a tight bra then at least you'll get anal off them.
Reply 53

The point they're trying to make is that it sounds as if you're saying gay guys are hot because they're gay, I don't think that's what you're trying to imply but it was just your choice of wording that makes it sound like that.

It is a bit nitpicky though, I can understand the initial backlash but your question becomes more clear by your second post (comment #4)
but any gay guy I have encountered are very hot.

Hence why I asked if "why do the majority of guys I find attractive turn out to be gay" is a better question :smile:
I have gay friends and they do not find what I say to be so offensive like you are. same as if someone says 'straight men are hot'. Would you still still be so defensive?. People might but I don't. I know a gay guy who is more brilliant in academics than I am. What is the point of being so offended when all I am doing is praising gay men?

You do that amongst your friends, you know them, they know you, it's a laugh, it's fine. But to put that out in public is to further a dangerous stereotype which isn't praising gay men, but giving them an unnecessary standard to adhere to, which many gay people simply can't because they aren't conventionally attractive. Stereotypes are always bad, even if they are innocuous.
The only time I've heard someone say 'straight people are attractive' are gay men saying it ironically because straight men won't be interested in them. You know, because most people recognise there is a diaspora of levels of attractiveness in people that is not affected by sexual orientation.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 55

I think you are going a little overboard. Even though OP did generalise, it was a positive and flattering generalisation. I really doubt that an 'ugly' gay would be deeply damaged by this post. It was just a light hearted, innocent post based on OPs experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I always say the same thing but in reverse. But to be fair I fall in love with 10 straight breeds a day.
Because they want to attract other men who are mainly looks driven (most men in general), harsh but it's the reality

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
The point they're trying to make is that it sounds as if you're saying gay guys are hot because they're gay, I don't think that's what you're trying to imply but it was just your choice of wording that makes it sound like that.

It is a bit nitpicky though, I can understand the initial backlash but your question becomes more clear by your second post (comment #4)

Hence why I asked if "why do the majority of guys I find attractive turn out to be gay" is a better question :smile:

I don't know why I am being ganged up on. It was a very innocent question without making anyone feel superior or inferior.
Original post by 2710
I think you are going a little overboard. Even though OP did generalise, it was a positive and flattering generalisation. I really doubt that an 'ugly' gay would be deeply damaged by this post. It was just a light hearted, innocent post based on OPs experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I suppose you're right, and I do get carried away. I think I've been told that I need to go shopping with someone sometime or be someone's GBF enough times to make me too sensitive to this sort of thing. I still completely don't agree with it, but if I've gone too far, my apologies, OP.

Latest