The Student Room Group

English LITB1 The Great Gatsby - What Question?

Hey guys!!!

Anyone have any predictions of what chapter could come up in the exam next week?

Previous years have been 1, 5, 7, and then 2 and 8 both twice!

Our class thinks it could be 3 or 4 but our teacher thinks 9!

Any ideas? Have you been told anything different?

Help a sister ouuuut

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Chapter 6 is the only one that hasn't come up and my class and teacher have a strong feeling that it could be chapter 6!

We can never be too sure though. Last year they thought it would be chapter 6 but it wasn't.. Some of us think it may not be this year because the exam board have made it really obvious that it could be chapter 6. However they do only have 2 more chances to put chapter 6 on before the specification changes so.. we don't really know

whatever it is prepare for the other chapters but have a good chapter 6 essay up your sleeve!

What texts are you doing for section B?
Reply 2
Original post by Lilyghz
Chapter 6 is the only one that hasn't come up and my class and teacher have a strong feeling that it could be chapter 6!

We can never be too sure though. Last year they thought it would be chapter 6 but it wasn't.. Some of us think it may not be this year because the exam board have made it really obvious that it could be chapter 6. However they do only have 2 more chances to put chapter 6 on before the specification changes so.. we don't really know

whatever it is prepare for the other chapters but have a good chapter 6 essay up your sleeve!

What texts are you doing for section B?

Yeah my gut feeling is chapter 6 too! We're doing Enduring Love and Rosetti and Frost's poems! You? Xx
Reply 3
Original post by JessGrimmel
Yeah my gut feeling is chapter 6 too! We're doing Enduring Love and Rosetti and Frost's poems! You? Xx

Browning, Tennyson and Kite Runner xx
Reply 4
Original post by Lilyghz
Browning, Tennyson and Kite Runner xx

Well Good Luck on Friday!!!! Let's hope section B is full of some lovely questions! Xx
Reply 5
HI GUYS!! My teacher is one of the examiners for this year's Lit B1 paper for a centre different to mine and she had her examiner training today and she sent my class some pearls of wisdom specifically about what the examiners are looking for this year.. I don't feel completely comfortable posting the entire thing here but if you would like it please ask me through PM and I will share it with you xx
Are we allowed to bring in clean books for this exam? I'm taking the exam as a private candidate so only have an examinations officer to consult about this, who has not replied to my inquiry about this yet. :s-smilie: I've been told I can bring in clean poems, but nothing about the books yet.

Having to sort every single event and quote and into each chapter in the book from absolute memory would be very testing.

I also have a question about your exam methods: Have your schools advised you on which question to pick and have they focused their teaching on that particular text? I have no idea which question I will do section A on. Do you think it's a good idea to pick a particular text to focus my revision on and decide to do that for the Section A question?
Reply 7
Original post by privatestudent
Are we allowed to bring in clean books for this exam? I'm taking the exam as a private candidate so only have an examinations officer to consult about this, who has not replied to my inquiry about this yet. :s-smilie: I've been told I can bring in clean poems, but nothing about the books yet.

Having to sort every single event and quote and into each chapter in the book from absolute memory would be very testing.

I also have a question about your exam methods: Have your schools advised you on which question to pick and have they focused their teaching on that particular text? I have no idea which question I will do section A on. Do you think it's a good idea to pick a particular text to focus my revision on and decide to do that for the Section A question?

Yeah you are allowed clean copies of all texts ☺️

Also, we were told to focus our revision on the Great Gatsby and do this for section a if that helps! Definitley a good idea to pick your strongest text here xx
Reply 8
Original post by Lilyghz
HI GUYS!! My teacher is one of the examiners for this year's Lit B1 paper for a centre different to mine and she had her examiner training today and she sent my class some pearls of wisdom specifically about what the examiners are looking for this year.. I don't feel completely comfortable posting the entire thing here but if you would like it please ask me through PM and I will share it with you xx

Thanks xx
Reply 9
Hey guys, I thought it would be a good idea to share with you something worth knowing and preparing for but I can't guarantee how true this is..

Throughout this week a handful of my friends sat the AQA geography, history and accounting exams and apparently the exam paper contents were all very unexpected as they had changed the question styles of the bigger mark questions and thus they found it difficult to answer them (so I've been told by my friends who took the papers). Even the A grade students said it was unexpected and for the first time they think they won't be scoring A's..Though I'm curious as to why AQA have done this I wonder if we are to expect similar things for our paper this Friday? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Hoping Gatsby is an easy chapter! I was hoping for 7 but my teacher said she had a feeling about 6 since it hasn't been up yet
Still unsure about which text I'm going to pick for Section A (I'm doing Browning, The Kite Runner, Auden as well), I was advised to pick a poem (probably Browning since I'm a bit weak with him) so I could go to town with Gatsby, especially for AO3 and AO4
For section A part b for gatsby, does anyone know if a large scape of specific quotes are mandatory?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest