The Student Room Group

SteveKeith New car Thread

Looking at buying my first car soon. I'll be 18, male, and with a budget of about £5,000, not inc insurance. I'd like something a bit sporty, so a bit speedy and good looking. Boot space isn't that important, but need enough for a decent size subwoofer. It will only be used for college and social things, like lifts and cruising (in a driving sense). I've been looking at a mk6.5 Fiesta ZS, or maybe a BMW 116 or 118 at a push. Any others ideas, tips, or suggestions would be very greatly appreciated.
(edited 9 years ago)
Bmw 3 series, audi a3, mercedes c class, volvo c30, ford fiesta st, toyota corolla t180, mitsubishi colt czt, Mazda 3 Sport. There are loads
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply, not so sure on a saloon like a C class or 3 series. I think I may need to tone down the engine size a bit though, insurance budget I dont think could be more than £3k, possibly ruling out anything bigger than a 1.6 or 1.8.
Get some quotes you may be surprised, 3k for insurance is a lot. A 2.0+ would not be out of the question if you pick the right car.
Reply 4
I managed to get 2.2k for insurance on a 1.6 Audi A3. I dont know if I would rather a good looking car with a smaller engine, I think over 2.0 may be a bit fast for a first car, Im not sure though. What cars would you suggest Luke>
If your budget is £5k try looking for a 1.4 Honda Civic, they're rarer than the 1.8 petrol or 2.2 diesel but because of the lower performance it will be cheaper on insurance and most likely cheaper to buy as they are a bit underpowered and subsequently not as desired as the 1.8 but for a first car you can't want everything or you will have nothing to look forward to from future cars :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Robbo-92
If your budget is £5k try looking for a 1.4 Honda Civic, they're rarer than the 1.8 petrol or 2.2 diesel but because of the lower performance it will be cheaper on insurance and most likely cheaper to buy as they are a bit underpowered and subsequently not as desired as the 1.8 but for a first car you can't want everything or you will have nothing to look forward to from future cars :smile:

I didnt think about that, good point. There is something I like about Civics, classic boy racer feel, and the gear stick is awesome. I'll have a look for some now.
Original post by SteveKeith
I didnt think about that, good point. There is something I like about Civics, classic boy racer feel, and the gear stick is awesome. I'll have a look for some now.

We'll I just literally picked up my new car earlier, which was an 2007 Civic, 1.8 for me though as I have 2 years no claims :smile: so I may be a bit biased to civics but for some reason I've always wanted one since I started learning to drive and now I finally have one :smile:
Reply 8
do you mind me asking how much you paid, and was there anything wrong with it, like advisories or something?
do you mind me asking how much you paid, and was there anything wrong with it, like advisories or something?

Not at all :smile:

I paid a straight £5000 for it, it's only done 50k as well :smile: I test drove it and it had zero squeaks from the suspension, it idled perfectly and pulled superb in each gear. It has a couple of months tax left so that will be need soon but the company I bought it from put it through its mot with no advisories and it's only done a couple of thousand miles since it's last service.

Personally I felt like a got a great deal, plus it's red which is my favourite colour for a car :smile:
Reply 10
That sounds really good, great deal and car, do you like the gearstick placement?
That sounds really good, great deal and car, do you like the gearstick placement?

Yes, only very minor problem is that it has 6 forward gears so I'm struggling to find 6th at speed at the moment but I will get used to it :smile:
Reply 12
See what you mean. Atm my 3 favourites are probably Audi A3, Bmw 116i, and Fiesta ZS, and maybe a civic 4th
Reply 13
Does anyone know some good insurers? Quinn direct and Hastings seem to be very cheap, but their reviews are far from great
Does anyone know some good insurers? Quinn direct and Hastings seem to be very cheap, but their reviews are far from great

One thing you have to bear in mind about reviews are that for the most part it's only the people who are unsatisfied with the service provided that actually take to Internet forums to complain about the company. So for every bad review there will most likely be a lot of people who have had positive service from the company. The only companies I wouldn't go with are ones when you google them the first forum result is about them cancelling your insurance for no apparent reason, which ain't great.
Car suggestions :- For a first car your biggest concern will be whether or not the insurance would be affordable on anything sporty. Also more than likely if it is a sporty bodystyle most likely then it would be something with the smallest engine size so it won't be the most exciting to drive. If it is a coupe or 3 door bodystyle car you are after look for an Opel Tigra or a Ford Puma. Otherwise could always get a MINI or a Alfa Romeo MiTo.

Insurance, check out Tesco insurance it does have some good deals and you could also get a black box type insurance through them where the rates are quite good especially if it isn't your usual crap-box car.
Reply 16
I think I'd prefer something quite sporty to drive and fun in corners. A black box is out of the question sorry, firstly because I don't want to have where I go monitored, sounds quite orwellian to me, and also because, take an empty motorway for example, at night in good conditions, I'm sure not an awful lot of people would stick dead on 70, I wouldn't want to be penalised for that. Does anyone have any experiences with Quinn Direct or Hastings?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending