The Student Room Group

Cramming French Vocab- anybody with me?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AwesomeLizzie
That's very true. Vocabulary should be acquired over a period of time; this can be then further consolidated by using the vocabulary in one's work.

Although, for GCSE and even A-level, vocabulary cramming is somewhat effective when the exam is in the succeeding days.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is, but if people studied consistently throughout the year and built up a repertoire of vocab progressively then cramming wouldn't be needed. I learnt Mot a Mot cover to cover for A-Level French.
Original post by AwesomeLizzie
I've not actually not literally sat down and learnt vocabulary from a list; I just learnt it as I went through the course when doing practice reading and listening? Is it only me who did this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, of course I learnt as I went along xD I'm just making sure I know absolutely everything.

Original post by TheBigJosh
Cramming is just daft for language learning, will serve no benefit in the long run, and just lull you into a false sense of ability if you do fluke an A*
University level language soon pick out and pick away those that aren't true linguists.

Obviously I'm not starting from scratch- by cramming I mean I'm going through vocab lists picking out words I don't know. I have learnt a lot of words over the two years I've been doing French.
It is, but if people studied consistently throughout the year and built up a repertoire of vocab progressively then cramming wouldn't be needed. I learnt Mot a Mot cover to cover for A-Level French.

I guess you didn't understand what I meant by cramming. I have studied vocabulary consistently throughout the year, I'm 'cramming' to make sure I know all of the words on the lists, many of then which I do. Just hoped that cleared it up for you :h:
Reply 43
Original post by lawrencefrape1
cie igcse.

Same, how'd you find the French reading/writing?
Original post by thechemistress
I guess you didn't understand what I meant by cramming. I have studied vocabulary consistently throughout the year, I'm 'cramming' to make sure I know all of the words on the lists, many of then which I do. Just hoped that cleared it up for you :h:

Again, my point stands. And please don't patronise me.
Again, my point stands. And please don't patronise me.

How does your point still stand? I could go into that exam tomorrow and know most of the words due to having had built up the vocabulary over the year. But, a part of me wants to make sure I know it all. Therefore I am going over vocabulary lists to make sure I know every single word on them. Perhaps I should use a better word since cramming doesn't seem to be appropriate here. But no, your point does not stand. You implied that I was learning all vocab from scratch at the last moment, which clearly I am not.
And no, I wasn't being patronising, I was just trying to be friendly. Everything is interpreted negatively on TSR :rolleyes:
How does your point still stand? I could go into that exam tomorrow and know most of the words due to having had built up the vocabulary over the year. But, a part of me wants to make sure I know it all. Therefore I am going over vocabulary lists to make sure I know every single word on them. Perhaps I should use a better word since cramming doesn't seem to be appropriate here. But no, your point does not stand. You implied that I was learning all vocab from scratch at the last moment, which clearly I am not.
And no, I wasn't being patronising, I was just trying to be friendly. Everything is interpreted negatively on TSR :rolleyes:

The problem then lies in that you don't understand the definition of the word 'cramming'.
Perhaps work on this, then work on your French?
The problem then lies in that you don't understand the definition of the word 'cramming'.
Perhaps work on this, then work on your French?

Surely cramming is going over something at the last minute? Is that not what I'm doing? At least that's what I've always interpreted it to mean.
That was wholly unnecessary and I would appreicate it if you left my thread since you have nothing better to do than randomly insult me. Thanks.
Surely cramming is going over something at the last minute? Is that not what I'm doing? At least that's what I've always interpreted it to mean.
That was wholly unnecessary and I would appreicate it if you left my thread since you have nothing better to do than randomly insult me. Thanks.

God - ''Everything is interpreted negatively on TSR :rolleyes:''

You just said you weren't cramming, all you're doing is reviewing any last minute vocabulary. The meaning of cram is to learn at last minute so..
God - ''Everything is interpreted negatively on TSR :rolleyes:''

You just said you weren't cramming, all you're doing is reviewing any last minute vocabulary. The meaning of cram is to learn at last minute so..

So..? Do you have anything useful to add yet?
So..? Do you have anything useful to add yet?

I said my point before you acted like a tool.
Good luck with the exam.
I said my point before you acted like a tool.
Good luck with the exam.

I acted like a tool? Nice one.
Thanks
french is sorta wierd for me. im also doing aqa gcse french on monday
i got high A/Low A* in all my controlled assessments
on the exams - reading i get B's and listening i get C's
In my mock i got a B overall so ill be happy to get a B but i dont know why i find french so hard
Original post by KingKumar
Same, how'd you find the French reading/writing?

Easy. You?
i'll be doing foundation french, since i suck at french and its compulsory at my school, anyone else doing it? not going to bother to revise its really easy :wink:
Reply 55
Original post by lawrencefrape1
Easy. You?

Same, there was very little knowledge of French actually needed. I think I made two mistakes: forgot what a dining room was and my third point in the small essay didn't really adhere to what was asked.

I think the listening is the only hard one.
i'm doing the same but for spanish lol :smile:
OMG i hope the grade boundaries are really low : I HATE FRENCH its sooooooooo hard
Anyone like me do quite well in the reading paper, yet gets almost 2 grades lower on the listening? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Original post by kelly_kelly
Anyone like me do quite well in the reading paper, yet gets almost 2 grades lower on the listening? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes! it happens to me too, listening is my weakness and i'm so afraid it'll pull my grade down

Quick Reply

Latest