The Student Room Group

How should my mum prove she's separated?

Hello! So me and my mum are in a bit of a pickle with student finance...

She is separated from my dad, and has been for several years now. But they've never gone through the process of divorce, so we can't send any of the papers student finance have asked for.
We rang them up, and they suggested showing that she's the only adult in her house - but she isn't, because I'm 20.
Then they suggested going to a solicitor to somehow prove that they're separated, even though they've never seen a solicitor before and we'd probably have to pay a lot of money just for proof?

I'm just wondering if anybody knows of and could advise us of any simpler options? Surely we could send council tax bills, showing our different addresses?

Thank you in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by Enchanting_ELK
Hello! So me and my mum are in a bit of a pickle with student finance...

She is separated from my dad, and has been for several years now. But they've never gone through the process of divorce, so we can't send any of the papers student finance have asked for.
We rang them up, and they suggested showing that she's the only adult in her house - but she isn't, because I'm 20.
Then they suggested going to a solicitor to somehow prove that they're separated, even though they've never seen a solicitor before and we'd probably have to pay a lot of money just for proof?

I'm just wondering if anybody knows of and could advise us of any simpler options? Surely we could send council tax bills, showing our different addresses?

Thank you in advance!

If you live in a council house. I am aware that if your mum is a single parent she will be given a single persons discount which proves that or you could got to a solicitor. I doubt that it matters whether or not your parents have visited one before. A letter confirming they are solicitor and they say your mum is a single parent will be enough.
Original post by Ümmm
If you live in a council house. I am aware that if your mum is a single parent she will be given a single persons discount which proves that

Not if there are other adults in the house, which I think is the problem - the OP is counted for council tax benefits, therefore, their mum isn't entitled to the discount.
Original post by OU Student
Not if there are other adults in the house, which I think is the problem - the OP is counted for council tax benefits, therefore, their mum isn't entitled to the discount.

Yes, this is the problem! :frown:
I'm not sure how long trying to book an appointment with a solicitor will take, either. I don't want my payments to be delayed because of this D:
But surely, if it's just you and your mum, that should be enough?
Well it's me and my mum who're classed as adults, and we live with my younger sister and brother. But no yeah mum said she still can't get that single adult thing because of just me :c I get you though, seeing as I'm the one applying for uni o.O

I feel like trying to send something like proof of different addresses, and just see what they say? Or somehow look more into the single adult thing?

Thanks to both of you for your input so far btw!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm going through the exact same thing! And now they've given me a deadline, I have about 2 weeks left to do it. We've decided to go to a solicitor to get it written but the solicitor we went to said that we could type it out ourselves using a template found online and that would greatly reduce the fees. It's worth a try in my opinion and I'll be searching for a template tomorrow. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NothingToSeeHere
I'm going through the exact same thing! And now they've given me a deadline, I have about 2 weeks left to do it. We've decided to go to a solicitor to get it written but the solicitor we went to said that we could type it out ourselves using a template found online and that would greatly reduce the fees. It's worth a try in my opinion and I'll be searching for a template tomorrow. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh gosh D: it's so annoying!
Oh really? o: Please let me know if you find it!
I'm going to see if any of my tutors can help me this week too, so if I figure anything out I'll update this topic c:
Hello! Here's my update;
We rang up again about it and asked if a letter from social services with my parent's different addresses on it would count as proof, and they said it would.
We sent it a few weeks ago and it seems they have accepted it! c:
It was a council letter as it had the logo on it etc. So yeah! This is what has worked for us!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Glad you got it sorted. :smile:
One of my friends had this issue, they asked the council for a letter stating who was living in their house and did the same for her father who lived at a different address and they accpeted that. For me, my mum got a solicitor letter stating that me and my sister live with her at our address and that our father lived at another address and were separated.

Hope you get it sorted! It is quite stressful
Original post by Chocip
One of my friends had this issue, they asked the council for a letter stating who was living in their house and did the same for her father who lived at a different address and they accpeted that. For me, my mum got a solicitor letter stating that me and my sister live with her at our address and that our father lived at another address and were separated.

Hope you get it sorted! It is quite stressful

Oh thank you! That's helpful to know! c:
Yeah, it turns out that they didn't accept the letter from the social workers :c took them ages to tell us!
I think my mum is going to do what you said worked for you? My dad's going to give us his proof to prove he lives without us, and my mum's going to send her proof too. Because she doesn't receive the 20% benefit or whatever, as she has it 100% for her disabilities?
Gosh I don't even know if that makes sense :'D but I shall report back with an update!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending