The Student Room Group

Don't want the typical prestigious universities

I'm so sick of hearing Oxbridge and UoL that even with the right grades I don't want to study there. Not only that but the London is ridiculously expensive and Oxbridge's combined short terms and high workload make it seem impossible to to do play a University level sport and have a social life.

I'm wondering where to apply for mechanical engineering. I want a University experience that isn't just about academia. Where can I look?
The league tables seem to point to places like Southampton, Sheffield and Loughborough. Are they good cities to live in?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BAWUS
I'm so sick of hearing Oxbridge and UoL that even with the right grades I don't want to study there. Not only that but the London is ridiculously expensive and Oxbridge's combined short terms and high workload make it seem impossible to to do play a University level sport and have a social life.

I'm wondering where to apply for mechanical engineering. I want a University experience that isn't just about academia. Where can I look?
The league tables seem to point to places like Southampton, Sheffield and Loughborough. Are they good cities to live in?

Newcastle?
Original post by BAWUS

While I don't do Mechanical Engineering, I do go to Uni of Sheffield, and I can honestly say it's a brilliant uni. While the city's nowhere near as big as London or Manchester say, it's definitely got a lot going on, as well as a good reputation. It's got very high levels of student satisfaction and from what I've heard from my own experience and that of my friends, I can definitely say lecturers are very good and willing to help. It's also a very cheap city comparatively.

If you have any more questions about Sheffield, let me know :smile:
Reply 3
You may want to check out Warwick. Its a great university and Coventry is a nice place too. You can look into Durham as well and see if you like.
Reply 4
Original post by Mr...
If thou actually did some deep research that doing sport and having a social life is possible with TIME MANAGEMENT. A treat that probably all uni students need regardless of the ranking. Do a little bit more research before completely rolling them off :smile:

I've done lots of research. I have 3 elder siblings each have studied at Oxbridge now and the eldest a Blues rower... they all said that you chose 2 of the 4 Ss study, sports, social and sleep.
Original post by Joinedup
Newcastle?

Good shout for city life but not sure on engineering programme. Will check it out though.
Reply 5
I applied to Bristol, Bath, Southampton, Leeds and Newcastle
I only wanted to go to Leeds or Bristol though!
This is for mechanical engineering btw
I went to Loughborough and was really impressed, obviously its super sporty, very similar to Bath actually. Loughborough is not a great place for social life unless you go into the neighbouring cities and Bath is amazing to look at but I wouldn't want to spend four years there either.
Southampton, I didn't even go to see...
I went with Bristol and Leeds because they are biggish cities with good music scenes and obviously Bristol is the best place to be for a mechanical engineering student due to the concentration of companies operating in the South West.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BAWUS

Not like Edinburgh, Bath and Cardiff are.
Loughborough
Bath
Durham

?
Reply 8
Original post by super_kawaii
While I don't do Mechanical Engineering, I do go to Uni of Sheffield, and I can honestly say it's a brilliant uni. While the city's nowhere near as big as London or Manchester say, it's definitely got a lot going on, as well as a good reputation. It's got very high levels of student satisfaction and from what I've heard from my own experience and that of my friends, I can definitely say lecturers are very good and willing to help. It's also a very cheap city comparatively.

If you have any more questions about Sheffield, let me know :smile:

I appreciate your answer and will most definitely pop you a PM later if that's alright. Thank you :smile:
Original post by bluemax
You may want to check out Warwick. Its a great university and Coventry is a nice place too. You can look into Durham as well and see if you like.

Warwick and Durham are campus based right? They sound like they're in the middle of nowhere tbh. I think a city is probably more what I'm looking for but will go travel to each during the summer and see. Thanks :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by cambio wechsel
Not like Edinburgh, Bath and Cardiff are.

Bath sounds brilliant, actually. Good shout!
Reply 10
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Loughborough
Bath
Durham

?

Why do people keep saying Durham? Isn't it extremely isolated?
Original post by tmorrall
I applied to Bristol, Bath, Southampton, Leeds and Newcastle
I only wanted to go to Leeds or Bristol though!
This is for mechanical engineering btw
I went to Loughborough and was really impressed, obviously its super sporty, very similar to Bath actually. Loughborough is not a great place for social life unless you go into the neighbouring cities and Bath is amazing to look at but I wouldn't want to spend four years there either.
Southampton, I didn't even go to see...
I went with Bristol and Leeds because they are biggish cities with good music scenes and obviously Bristol is the best place to be for a mechanical engineering student due to the concentration of companies operating in the South West.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Loughborough gave me the same impression, actually. Being from the south, I have no idea what Leeds is like. Is it good?
Original post by BAWUS

Loughborough gave me the same impression, actually. Being from the south, I have no idea what Leeds is like. Is it good?

Hmmmm... But it's very sports oriented.

Cardiff is a good shout. I actually live there so it's a great city, good uni, mecheng is good :yy:
Reply 12
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Hmmmm... But it's very sports oriented.

Cardiff is a good shout. I actually live there so it's a great city, good uni, mecheng is good :yy:

It's also not called Rah City because of it's high proportion of paganism. Kind of makes me weary.

I hope for your sake that you're not an avid footy fan :tongue:
Original post by BAWUS

Warwick and Durham are campus based right? They sound like they're in the middle of nowhere tbh. I think a city is probably more what I'm looking for but will go travel to each during the summer and see. Thanks :smile:

Durham is not a self contained campus but is in the middle of what's nominally a city but is more like a market town.

'Warwick' is an exercise in clever branding. It is essentially the University of Coventry and stands in relation to that city as does the York to York or Bath to Bath (i.e. a greenfields site on the outskirts of the city).
Reply 14
Original post by Hormonal
I am but a UoL peasant, but I have high recommendations for Exeter, Bristol and Sheffield - I have visited them all, as well as having friends at those universities who are having fantastic times. They all looked brilliant too (dare I say it, better looking than the university I attend).

Don't get me wrong, London is a great city and they have amazing Universities but it just depends on what you're looking for!
Bristol is looking like a strong contender :biggrin:
Original post by cambio wechsel
Durham is not a self contained campus but is in the middle of what's nominally a city but is more like a market town.

'Warwick' is an exercise in clever branding. It is essentially the University of Coventry and stands in relation to that city as does the York to York or Bath to Bath (i.e. a greenfields site on the outskirts of the city).

That's actually quite interesting. Warwick certainly is more appealing than Coventry!
I agree, I think the London universities are a poor choice for STEM unless you want to be a banker. STEM people in industry don't seem to care about Oxbridge either, some even seeing it as a mild negative.

Loughborough, Southampton, etc. are all perfectly good and more liveable.
Reply 16
Original post by Observatory
I agree, I think the London universities are a poor choice for STEM unless you want to be a banker. STEM people in industry don't seem to care about Oxbridge either, some even seeing it as a mild negative.

Loughborough, Southampton, etc. are all perfectly good and more liveable.

why do you say that? I just want to try and make what at the moment is just conjecture a bit more concrete :smile:
Original post by BAWUS
why do you say that? I just want to try and make what at the moment is just conjecture a bit more concrete :smile:

Assuming you want a job in engineering or in academia, university brand name doesn't seem to count for much. Engineering firms care about internships and on the job performance (go somewhere with a good sandwich year scheme basically) while academia just cares about grades and research experience.

So why would you pay London property prices, when you're getting little or nothing relevant to your career for your money?

Not necessarily the case if you want to work in financial services, journalism, or politics.
Reply 18
Original post by BAWUS

Don't get me wrong if I was pro/semipro I would be there.
Usual complaint from a southerner for Leeds is that its too cold although some guys I spoke to the other week were discussing how Loughborough was "too far north" and again "too cold"
Leeds put on the best show for me out of any university. Well organised open and applicant days, fresh buildings for mech eng anyway, in house careers service, great opportunities abroad. The city is a riot at night, the university was the most balanced out of all of them for me. I firmed Bristol though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Observatory
Assuming you want a job in engineering or in academia, university brand name doesn't seem to count for much. Engineering firms care about internships and on the job performance (go somewhere with a good sandwich year scheme basically) while academia just cares about grades and research experience.

So why would you pay London property prices, when you're getting little or nothing relevant to your career for your money?

Not necessarily the case if you want to work in financial services, journalism, or politics.

One thing that does spring to mind to the contrary is Oxford's ties with Rolls Royce, formula 1 and similar connections :smile:
Otherwise, I do like your argument

Quick Reply

Latest