The Student Room Group

Studying a beginners' language at university

So I plan on studying French and Spanish at Swansea University in September and I will be studying Spanish from a complete beginner's level. I wanted to know from anyone here who has taken a beginner's course at uni, how intense is it at first? And also anyone who has studied/is studying French and beginner's Spanish, do you find Spanish easy-ish to learn because it is similar to French?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Spanish is really easy. It's spelt how it sounds and the grammar is really straightforward.
Reply 2
Sammy, I shall be starting French and Spanish at Bangor, I find french quite difficult because of the pronunciation when it comes to listening but had a quick look at Spanish and it seems to follow a similar structure apart from they use more tenses which is the hard part in Spanish but as Ribena said it sounds as it is spelt which isn't the case with French.

I will be in the same boat as you :smile:

Keep me updated and I will do the same.
Reply 3
Original post by RibenaRockstar
Spanish is really easy. It's spelt how it sounds and the grammar is really straightforward.

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
my Japanese course was really intense in the beginning, but if you keep studying every day, you have nothing to worry about. Consistency is key. You will improve very fast
Reply 5
Original post by nerdini
my Japanese course was really intense in the beginning, but if you keep studying every day, you have nothing to worry about. Consistency is key. You will improve very fast

Thanks! How far into it are you and how fluent would you say you are now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by sammyruse
Thanks! How far into it are you and how fluent would you say you are now?

After 3 years I was somehow fluent (every day conversation was ok, but expressing thoughts and reading books was still difficult), then I went to Japan for a year and it got much better (reading books, articles etc. without problem) - I think I got fairly good basic knowledge in school.
Probably you can reach a much higher level of fluency in a shorter time because Spanish is similar to your mother tongue (more than Japanese) : )
Reply 7
Original post by nerdini
After 3 years I was somehow fluent (every day conversation was ok, but expressing thoughts and reading books was still difficult), then I went to Japan for a year and it got much better (reading books, articles etc. without problem) - I think I got fairly good basic knowledge in school.
Probably you can reach a much higher level of fluency in a shorter time because Spanish is similar to your mother tongue (more than Japanese) : )

I know that spending time in the country is a great help, I guess I'm also lucky in the sense that Spain is a lot closer to home and it's a lot more easier to visit than Japan. Thank you for your advice though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending