The Student Room Group

Conchita is not a "she"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maid Marian
I just don't know why he/she/it had a beard :beard:

Conchita Wurst is the drag persona of Thomas Neuwirth. When as Conchita, she prefers female pronouns but admits to being 'between genders' . Bear in mind this is only when Conchita, when Thomas it's 'he'.

It kinda goes like that for drag personas anyway, Dame Edna or Lily Savage anyone? [[Although they're more comic drag personas, it would probably be more accurate to use the term transvestite since drag queen carries the more comic flamboyance]]
Original post by bertstare
Newsflash: You're female

Have you checked? :colonhash:

Also, why would you even pretend to know someone's gender better than they do? It doesn't affect you what I am.
Original post by Aivicore

Also, why would you even pretend to know someone's gender better than they do? It doesn't affect you what I am.

If your parts down there are female, you're female
Original post by Aivicore

Imagine if people were as aggressive about politics as they were about genders. "You're TORY, admit it, you're totally Tory, why are you saying you're Labour when you're wearing that blue shirt"
(edited 9 years ago)

Biologically speaking you would be correct, and that would be the information you give medics and health professionals because it's important.

But then there's gender.
Reply 105
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
Imagine if people was as aggressive about politics as they were about genders. "You're TORY, admit it, you're totally Tory, why are you saying you're Labour when you're wearing that blue shirt"

Might get things done too

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't know what I have in my pants or what any stranger has in their pants until you've looked, which you can't do for everyone.

...So why not just go off what they tell you they are? You lose nothing.

As Ruthless Dutchman pointed out, you'd use your biological sex in medical scenarios and stuff, but psychological gender =/= biological sex. It's really not that confusing or that much hard work to call someone by what they prefer.

Imagine if people were as aggressive about politics as they were about genders. "You're TORY, admit it, you're totally Tory, why are you saying you're Labour when you're wearing that blue shirt"

Ahaha, I like that comparison. :tongue:

I do find it really odd that people are so bothered about actively pointing out their perceived version of other peoples' genders.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ggmu!
Might get things done too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would cause more harm than good if it's at the same level.

Kids being bullied at school because of who their parents are voting for, some guy getting stabbed for having a different political view...

Actually we're not far from that :s-smilie:
Biologically speaking you would be correct, and that would be the information you give medics and health professionals because it's important.

But then there's gender.

If you are a female who wishes to have a sex change, then you are a female who wishes to have a sex change. It doesn't make you male, in any regard, until you actually change your biology accordingly. Gender studies is just about the most laughable development of recent times. You just cannot randomly decide to identify as the opposite gender, or some insane mix of genders, or another race, or an animal, or whatever other nonsense the latest failed scientists who "research" this **** have "discovered"
People need to remember that gender and sex are two different things. Gender is between the ears and sex is between the legs. Gender is not binary it is fluid hence the term gender fluid and is sex really is not binary either, since there are intersex people. Also, when Tom is in the persona of Conchita 'he' is then referred to as 'she' just like Dame Edna or Ja'mie (who is played by Criss Lilley). You refer to Ja'mie as 'she' and Chris as 'he'. Simple.
ITT: people use definitions which only fit their preconceptions, ignoring entire fields of study in sociology and psychology, and miss the entire point of drag. It's like insisting on calling pantomime Peter Pan "she" because he's played by a girl, or calling Mrs Brown "he" because rawr penis. Conchita Wurst is a character - issues of gender aren't even relevant.

On a wider note, I honestly don't understand how some people on this forum just can't possibly comprehend that there's a difference between gender and sex. The analogies to race and species fail because it fundamentally fails to understand what gender is. Race and species are physical and genetic characteristics of a human and organism, respectively. Gender identity, unlike sex, is a sociocultural and psychological issue. What underlying biology that person has is not relevant to the discussion.
(edited 9 years ago)

Sex =/= Gender. It's not a hard concept.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
ITT: mu15 only uses definitions which fit his preconceptions, ignoring entire fields of study in sociology and psychology, and misses the entire point of drag. It's like insisting on calling pantomime Peter Pan "she" because he's played by a girl, or calling Mrs Brown "he" because rawr penis. Conchita Wurst is a character - issues of gender aren't even relevant.

On a wider note, I honestly don't understand how some people on this forum just can't possibly comprehend that there's a difference between gender and sex. The analogies to race and species fail because it fundamentally fails to understand what gender is. Race and species are physical and genetic characteristics of a human and organism, respectively. Gender identity, unlike sex, is a sociocultural and psychological issue. What underlying biology that person has is not relevant to the discussion.

PRSOM.
Original post by White Dress
So mu15 has an opinion Mad Vlad disagrees with. Mad Vlad just bans him.

If that were the case, you'd be banned too for daring to defy my ultimate powahhh!

Spoiler

Original post by Mad Vlad
Sex =/= Gender. It's not a hard concept.

oki ive decided as of the last 2 minutes that i am a female, so can i use the womens changing room at my gym

pls respond
If you are a female who wishes to have a sex change, then you are a female who wishes to have a sex change. It doesn't make you male, in any regard, until you actually change your biology accordingly. Gender studies is just about the most laughable development of recent times. You just cannot randomly decide to identify as the opposite gender, or some insane mix of genders, or another race, or an animal, or whatever other nonsense the latest failed scientists who "research" this **** have "discovered"

Gender's a head thing, it's a state of mind and it's not 'one or the other'.

I'll admit it took me a bit of time to get used to a friend wanting to be called 'him' instead of 'her, especially because I've known them for a while. But it's just an identifier, like a name. They're still the same person.

Race is based on geographical, cultural, social, religious, and other parameters so not particularly the colour of skin [[Especially now that the planet's becoming more of a cultural cocktail]]. I'm european white because I was born in the Netherlands, but considering I've been living two thirds of my life in the UK I could well be british white, but I could well be a combination of both. [[I've been made aware I'm probably describing ethnicity here, whoops]]

Animal kinship I'll admit is an odd one for me, but that's most likely because I don't hear of it often, so the thought seems novel [[As would being a man in a womans body be for other people]]

Question, do you like things when they remain stable?
(edited 9 years ago)
oki ive decided as of the last 2 minutes that i am a female, so can i use the womens changing room at my gym

pls respond

It doesn't quite work like that. By all means, try it, but you'll probably end up in a police cell.
Reply 118
'Wurst'.
Reply 119
Lol at mu15 being banned

Quick Reply

Latest