The Student Room Group

How to stop procrastinating...

Hi Everyone, I'm Laura and I'm a Procrastinator:smile:
Well the clue's in the title really…any tips?
I've got my exams next week and I need to stay focused, but everything just seems waaay more interesting than my study guide, I mean it's gotten to the point where I've started going through old photo albums!
Thanks in advance for the help! xx

Scroll to see replies

I've found this to be an unanswerable problem. :s-smilie: I've also got exams next week. :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by RayApparently
I've found this to be an unanswerable problem. :s-smilie: I've also got exams next week. :wink:

Damn…well I guess we're all a bit buggered then :P
Good luck for yours though! x
Original post by lauraines
Damn…well I guess we're all a bit buggered then :P
Good luck for yours though! x

Haha thanks - you too.
Turn off your Internet or deactivate fb, do your revision session then reward yourself with half an hour free time. If you procrastinate you're going to fail the exam and regret it at a later date. Think of it this way, revise and kiss your leisure life away for a couple of days for a good grade, or procrastinate wasting valuable time - which will make you fail the exam. I hope this helped
Reply 5
Original post by Troytheboy
Turn off your Internet or deactivate fb, do your revision session then reward yourself with half an hour free time. If you procrastinate you're going to fail the exam and regret it at a later date. Think of it this way, revise and kiss your leisure life away for a couple of days for a good grade, or procrastinate wasting valuable time - which will make you fail the exam. I hope this helped

Good idea, thanks :smile:
Good idea, thanks :smile:

Hoped it helped, now get on with revision :wink: good luck for exam
I've got my exams next week and I need to stay focused, but everything just seems waaay more interesting than my study guide, I mean it's gotten to the point where I've started going through old photo albums!

Different things work for different people, but I've found study buddies the best thing. As long as your study buddy is serious about working, and isn't likely to be a liability.

Failing this, I've found that just having accountability to someone other than myself keeps me in line. During crucial working periods in the past (exams, dissertation completion etc) I've had arrangements where I've reported to one of my best friends what I've done work-wise each day. That worked well.
Reply 8
Original post by Troytheboy
Turn off your Internet or deactivate fb, do your revision session then reward yourself with half an hour free time.

I've tried this in the past, had a stopwatch set to 1hour learning, then 30 minutes time-off, only worked for some time.

For me it was going someplace away from all distractions, and keeping all distractions at home (phone, laptop), and I could learn 4 hours non-stop.
Reply 9
For me it was going someplace away from all distractions, and keeping all distractions at home (phone, laptop), and I could learn 4 hours non-stop.

Yeah..I think I might pop to the library tbh..thanks :smile: x
I study away from a computer, using my book only. Usually I give myself 40 minutes revision, and 20 mins slacking off to keep my mind fresh.
Original post by c2uk
I've tried this in the past, had a stopwatch set to 1hour learning, then 30 minutes time-off, only worked for some time.

Yeah that sounds cool, personally what works for me is telling myself I'm going to fail and I'm the reason to blame, but sometimes it just takes for someone else to say it
:lol:

I think if there was an easy answer to this question, so many people wouldn't be on TSR so much.
Reply 13
Original post by lilangel217
:lol:

I think if there was an easy answer to this question, so many people wouldn't be on TSR so much.

Haha very true!
Thanks everyone for your advice, it's all been great, i'll definitely try and pop to the library and find myself a study bud :smile: x

Put yourself in a position where you can't procrastinate.

Get a load of your notes, text books and printed copies of past papers together and go somewhere away from your computer, away from your phone, away from your friends, where you have no distractions.

I would also suggest using a reward system of some kind. Something like setting a timer for 40 minutes, and telling yourself that if you work solidly for those 40 minutes you can take 20 minutes off to do whatever you like. If you do slip up during that time and stop working then reset the clock back to 40. I've always found that I procrastinate when something in my head tells me that I'm never going to get a break if I start working, and by having a clear end point I can work solidly for that time, knowing that after 40 minutes I will get a break and a chance to relax.
the thing that's best for me to stop procrastinating is stayfocusd: it's an extension that i have on my chrome which means i can block certain websites for a certain amount of time- means i can block facebook for an hour so i won't be tempted! and it's free :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by beatriceh
the thing that's best for me to stop procrastinating is stayfocusd: it's an extension that i have on my chrome which means i can block certain websites for a certain amount of time- means i can block facebook for an hour so i won't be tempted! and it's free :smile:

Oh great, what is it?:smile: x
Oh great, what is it?:smile: x

it's called stayfocusd! go on the chrome webstore and search it :smile:
I guess we're in the same boat. :bebored:
Reply 19
Me and my friend go into the library together and every day we change each others Facebook and Twitter passwords. Therefore we can't get access to our own account until the end of the day, and it really helps with procrastination.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending