smartcookie97
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
:confused: any ideas on what could be in the unit 1 AS geography exam on monday? :cool:
gcole19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have no idea :/
I was hoping someone would have had an idea but I guess not.

What are you doing for last minute revision?
rainbow321
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey guys, I really want to know what might come up tomorrow, what patterns show etc, because the exam is in 24 hours and I am so not prepared and there is too much to do and memorise before then - I need to know the predicted 15 marks particularly, I am doing rivers, coasts, population and health. thank you very much, nay help will be appreciated!!
angharadcgazx
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey guys! I was sent this by my teacher. This is the Geography departments predictions at my college.
Hope this Helps & Good luck for tomorrow

AS Geog 1

Rivers
· Factors affecting river discharge: the storm hydrograph - Last on Jan 10 and Jan11
· Valley profiles: long profile and changing cross profile downstream, graded profile, potential and kinetic energy – No short answer questions only tested recently in June 2013 (with 15 mark question Physical factors are more important than human factors in affecting river discharge. Discuss this view.)
· Physical and human causes of flooding – location of areas of high risk in a more developed and a less developed country case study, magnitude, frequency (risk) analysis frequently tested but not on the last 3 papers.
· Process and impact of rejuvenation – knick points, waterfalls, river terraces and incised meanders – only tested once in Jun 2012 (only a 2 mark Q) possibly the sample question or similar- Describe and explain the formation of landforms resulting from rejuvenation. 15
Coasts
· Landforms of deposition – beaches and associated features: berms, runnels and cusps, spits, bars, dunes and salt marshes - Last in June 09 (beaches) and Jan 11 (salt marshes)
· The theory of coastal protection objectives and management strategies – hard engineering: sea walls, revetments, rip rap, gabions, groynes and barrages. Soft engineering: beach nourishment, dune regeneration, marsh creation, land use/activity management. - Jan 10 June 11 (15 mark questions on soft (June 10) hard (June 11) soft (Jan 13) but these required case studies.

Population
· Population change: the demographic transition model (5 stages), its validity and applicability in countries at different stages of development.- Last in June 10 June 11 and Jan 12
· The way population change and migration affects the character of rural and urban areas. Only tested in Jan 11. “For better and for worse?” Discuss how population change can affect the character of rural and urban areas. 15 marks
· The implications of the above (Settlement case studies – comparing two (or more) of the following areas – an inner city area, a suburban area, an area of rural/urban fringe and an area of rural settlement. To include reference to characteristics such as: housing, ethnicity, age structure, wealth and employment and the provision of services) for social welfare. Only tested in June 11- For two areas of settlement that you have studied, describe how the provision of services is different. 5marks.
Health
· Food and health – malnutrition, periodic famine, obesity. Contrasting health care approaches in countries at different stages of development. Only tested in Jan 12 by essay –no short answer questions
· A local case study on the implications of the above for the provision of health care systems .June 12 only and 5 mark Q.
angharadcgazx
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Rejuvination is also one of the massive predictions for Rivers ( maybe even a 15 marker)
smartcookie97
Rep:
?
any idea for cold environments and energy?!
angharadcgazx
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by smartcookie97)
any idea for cold environments and energy?!
Unfortunately not as i do coasts and Health sorry!!
smartcookie97
Rep:
?
(Original post by angharadcgazx)
Unfortunately not as i do coasts and Health sorry!!
thats alright, youve been really helpful for the other sections though, thankyou soooo much!!!
rainbow321
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by angharadcgazx)
Hey guys! I was sent this by my teacher. This is the Geography departments predictions at my college.
Hope this Helps & Good luck for tomorrow

AS Geog 1

Rivers
· Factors affecting river discharge: the storm hydrograph - Last on Jan 10 and Jan11
· Valley profiles: long profile and changing cross profile downstream, graded profile, potential and kinetic energy – No short answer questions only tested recently in June 2013 (with 15 mark question Physical factors are more important than human factors in affecting river discharge. Discuss this view.)
· Physical and human causes of flooding – location of areas of high risk in a more developed and a less developed country case study, magnitude, frequency (risk) analysis frequently tested but not on the last 3 papers.
· Process and impact of rejuvenation – knick points, waterfalls, river terraces and incised meanders – only tested once in Jun 2012 (only a 2 mark Q) possibly the sample question or similar- Describe and explain the formation of landforms resulting from rejuvenation. 15
Coasts
· Landforms of deposition – beaches and associated features: berms, runnels and cusps, spits, bars, dunes and salt marshes - Last in June 09 (beaches) and Jan 11 (salt marshes)
· The theory of coastal protection objectives and management strategies – hard engineering: sea walls, revetments, rip rap, gabions, groynes and barrages. Soft engineering: beach nourishment, dune regeneration, marsh creation, land use/activity management. - Jan 10 June 11 (15 mark questions on soft (June 10) hard (June 11) soft (Jan 13) but these required case studies.

Population
· Population change: the demographic transition model (5 stages), its validity and applicability in countries at different stages of development.- Last in June 10 June 11 and Jan 12
· The way population change and migration affects the character of rural and urban areas. Only tested in Jan 11. “For better and for worse?” Discuss how population change can affect the character of rural and urban areas. 15 marks
· The implications of the above (Settlement case studies – comparing two (or more) of the following areas – an inner city area, a suburban area, an area of rural/urban fringe and an area of rural settlement. To include reference to characteristics such as: housing, ethnicity, age structure, wealth and employment and the provision of services) for social welfare. Only tested in June 11- For two areas of settlement that you have studied, describe how the provision of services is different. 5marks.
Health
· Food and health – malnutrition, periodic famine, obesity. Contrasting health care approaches in countries at different stages of development. Only tested in Jan 12 by essay –no short answer questions
· A local case study on the implications of the above for the provision of health care systems .June 12 only and 5 mark Q.
haha, thanks so much for that, by the look of it, im happily leaving with a U. x_x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (274)
60.89%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.89%
No- I want it (120)
26.67%
No- I don't want it (34)
7.56%

Watched Threads