The Student Room Group

Is Biology a science?

do you consider biology a science? because i have been told that biology is basically all chemistry...
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Obviously. :facepalm:

Chemistry is basically all physics, does this make it less of a science? Of course not.

Maybe you need to rethink what "science" means.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes. :rolleyes:
:facepalm:
The word "science" comes from the latin "scientia" which literally means knowledge - so you could argue that any learning is science :smile:
It's a liberal art :colonhash:

/jk, it's by no means my favourite but it's still a branch of science.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Whitemouse
The word "science" comes from the latin "scientia" which literally means knowledge - so you could argue that any learning is science :smile:

No you couldn't. Don't be silly. The origin the word "science" (which is actually scire, not scientia -that came later-) is not the same as "science", they have different definitions.
On a serious note, although it is easier conceptually than Physics, seeing as all Medical knowledge stems from biological science, to not call it science would be a little erroneous to say the least
I've always thought Biology has been considered less of a science than the other two.

Chemistry by some, is considered in the same way, some people think it is less of a science when compared to Physics.

But here is the best answer I found online:

The Australian philosopher Colin Leslie dean points out that biology is not a science
A science needs a system of classification through which it identifies the objects of its study

Without a system of classification a science cannot come into existence
Now biology is the "science of life" but
1) biology cannot tell us what life is It can tell us what life does but it cant tell us what it is that makes an organism alive ie the life force

Going by this, Biology cannot be considered a science, but chemistry is.

My opinion is that Biology is not a science, don't flame me, just pointing it out. I also believe Physics is superior to Chemistry, but both are "real" sciences in my opinion

Another online Quote

Defining science:
Science is the study of the real things through the scientific method.

The scientific method steps are:
Observation
Hypothesis
Experiment
Collect data
Conclusion
Law

So in order to a science be considered as such should follow all these steps with no exception.

Another characteristic of the sciences is that they do not contradict, but complement.

Biology doesn't build law, nor objective definitions.
And doesn't follow all the steps of the scientific method.
Another thing is that the "parts" believed to belong to biology that follow scientific method actually are parts of the chemistry, like biochemistry that tries about the process and synthesis of proteins. (advanced organic chemistry)

[e] It seems many people don't share my opinion but oh well
(edited 9 years ago)
Nah, biology's a topic in maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alow
Obviously. :facepalm:

Chemistry is basically all physics, does this make it less of a science? Of course not.

Maybe you need to rethink what "science" means.

there's real science and then there's 'biological science'. no one in their right mind would argue differently.
Original post by Mubariz
I've always thought Biology has been considered less of a science than the other two.

Chemistry by some, is considered in the same way, some people think it is less of a science when compared to Physics.

But here is the best answer I found online:

Going by this, Biology cannot be considered a science, but chemistry is.

My opinion is that Biology is not a science, don't flame me, just pointing it out. I also believe Physics is superior to Chemistry, but both are "real" sciences in my opinion

Another online Quote

[e] It seems many people don't share my opinion but oh well

see this is why i brought this topic up, biochemistry, is a branch of chemistry, which according to what you have presented is a science but if you try take chemistry away from biology, all you are left with is conservation and watching animal interaction and behaviors,
Its a Science...
Its like saying History isn't a Humanties subject or Geometry isn't Maths....
Original post by majmuh24
It's a liberal art :colonhash:

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

but chemistry can explain nearly everything in biology, it is why a good chemist can easily become a biologist but a biologist can never become a chemist
Original post by TheGameOfScience
but chemistry can explain nearly everything in biology, it is why a good chemist can easily become a biologist but a biologist can never become a chemist

I agree with this...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zhang-liao
Its a Science...
Its like saying History isn't a Humanties subject or Geometry isn't Maths....

funnily enough all of the subjects you bring up are ambiguous in their origin. it could be argued that geometry has its roots in the arts (painting etc.). Is the golden ratio mathematical or is it artistical? The answer really isn't that clear-cut.
Original post by TheGameOfScience

Actually usually the only reason the latter is inhibited is most biologists (and some biochemists) aren't very good at dealing with numbers or at least don't like to. The chemistry of biology is a lot more complicated, which doesn't make the transition easy. Most well trained biochemists probably could work in a very organic chemistry way, even if others aren't so good. Whilst they may even enjoy entry into biophysics. It's not really as rigid as you make it seem and depends on capacity
Original post by bertstare
On a serious note, although it is easier conceptually than Physics, seeing as all Medical knowledge stems from biological science, to not call it science would be a little erroneous to say the least

I don't disagree, but I think there is more to Medical Knowledge than just science. There is a lot of ethics and rules of interaction with the patient as well.
Original post by 1drowssap
I don't disagree, but I think there is more to Medical Knowledge than just science. There is a lot of ethics and rules of interaction with the patient as well.

Of course the medical field is a very applied version of Biology, and making a diagnosis involves far more than just the academic knowledge - but all the academic knowledge doctors do learn is basically just different facets of human biology. Even though Chem is mandatory for going into Med there is virtually zero chemistry content in the course whatsoever

Quick Reply

Latest