The Student Room Group

warwick or oxbridge?

if i was to be given the opportunity of going to either (unlikely but just curious) for economics would employers prefer warwick as its top in economics or oxbridge because its more prestigious? Providing i wanted to do an economics degree.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by James1389
if i was to be given the opportunity of going to either (unlikely but just curious) for economics would employers prefer warwick as its top in economics or oxbridge because its more prestigious? Providing i wanted to do an economics degree.

Definitely Oxbridge. Some rankings put Warwick on top of the ladder since there are different factors taken in account: research, proximity with employers, accommodation (in some cases)... But you shouldn't fool yourself, Oxford and Cambridge are clearly above. If you want my small personal ranking, it would be for economics:
-Oxbridge-LSE
-UCL
-Warwick
-Durham

Hope it will help :smile:
Reply 2
Similar to post above, although I'd rank:
1) Cambridge
2) Oxford/LSE
3) Warwick
4) UCL
For economics? I'd say

Oxford/LSE
Warwick
UCL
Cambridge

Anyways they are all top departments, so you will be fine wherever you decide to go!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by polscistudent88
For economics? I'd say

Oxford/LSE
Warwick
UCL
Cambridge

Anyways they are all top departments, so you will be fine wherever you decide to go!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cambridge is by far the most respected and difficult course in undergraduate Economics. Although Oxford Economics & Management is really competitive, it is not as mathematically focussed as Cambridge, LSE, Warwick. E&M is not as respected for postgraduate Economics either, compared to pure Economics in top universities.

Cambridge
LSE
Warwick
Oxford
UCL

If you're looking at employment opportunities rather than the best course, then it's

Oxbridge/LSE
Warwick
UCL
Reply 5
For economics? I'd say

Oxford/LSE
Warwick
UCL
Cambridge

Posted from TSR Mobile

Certainly not for undergrad. For research perhaps, but in terms of the competitiveness, rigour and reputation of the undergraduate course Cambridge has to be first, followed by Oxford and LSE.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by zxh800
Certainly not for undergrad. For research perhaps, but in terms of the competitiveness, rigour and reputation of the undergraduate course Cambridge has to be first, followed by Oxford and LSE.

I was mainly considering research, so that is why. Then, I also considered the "London advantage" for LSE and UCL... But at the end, I doubt one would have a hard time finding a job after any of those programs (provided good results, obviously) and in every case one would receive a top education. Anyways yes, much depends on the single factors one considers and the specializations one is interested in.
Reply 7
I was mainly considering research, so that is why. Then, I also considered the "London advantage" for LSE and UCL... But at the end, I doubt one would have a hard time finding a job after any of those programs (provided good results, obviously) and in every case one would receive a top education. Anyways yes, much depends on the single factors one considers and the specializations one is interested in.

I have no problems agreeing with that. All are fantastic courses.

But, what I will say for the benefit of the OP, given the chance the economics course at Cambridge should not be passed upon given the chance. Certainly not for any domestic course, unless there are personal factors for wanting to stay in London. The supervision system is unparalleled (Oxford excluded), no where else allows you the opportunity to learn in groups as small as 2-3 with an expert in the field (PhD candidates at the very least).

As for employers, check any ranking you want, even the ones which put Cambridge at 5th and click on the rank by employment and you'll see Cambridge either first or second. Rather than closing doors, going to Oxbridge probably opens doors. An Oxbridge degree will likely be advantageous if you're looking to get into Consultancy or Banking. All the employers come up here anyway if you're worried about that.

On all rankings, if rank by entry standards and Cambridge is first. You'll be studying with the best. Although, that doesn't necessarily Cambridge doesn't have a monopoly on the best students, there will be brilliant guys at LSE etc... but you know what I mean.

So, yea do the research and take into context why those league tables are the way they are. Also, Oxbridge isn't for the faint hearted. It's difficult to balance study with looking for internships etc... You'll have an easier time at one of the other unis doing this. The marginal benefit is of course being at Oxbridge, but if you do well at other places you can get a great job too so bear that in mind.
Original post by Revision Notes
Cambridge is by far the most respected and difficult course in undergraduate Economics. Although Oxford Economics & Management is really competitive, it is not as mathematically focussed as Cambridge, LSE, Warwick. E&M is not as respected for postgraduate Economics either, compared to pure Economics in top universities.

Cambridge
LSE
Warwick
Oxford
UCL

If you're looking at employment opportunities rather than the best course, then it's

Oxbridge/LSE
Warwick
UCL

There are always subjective and methodological issues in ranking departments. And as I said they are all world-leading departments, so we are talking about differences in excellence. However, just to show that rankings vary:

The Economics Depts Ranking computed by Tilburg and based on research outputs from 2008 to 2012 (for UK institutions):
1. LSE
2. Oxford
3. UCL
4. Warwick
5. Cambridge

IDEAS ranks UK institutions as:
1. Oxford
2. UCL
3. Warwick
4. LSE
5. Cambridge

Lubrano et al. (2003):
1. LSE
2. Oxford
3. Cambridge
4. Warwick
5. UCL

Last RAE:
1. LSE
2. UCL
3. Warwick=Oxford=Essex
6. Bristol=Nottingham=QM
9. Cambridge=Manchester

And for graduate prospects (but I really hate this indicator) it would be (as CUG ranks at least):
1.Warwick=LSE=Cambridge
[...]
6. UCL
[...]
8. Oxford

This is why I ranked them the way I did... I tend to give much, much, much relevance to research output. Certainly the collegiate and tutorage system at Oxbridge must be considered... But I took for granted that OP was aware of the differences in terms of undergrad teaching "styles" at those institutions. Anyways I agree with most of what you say!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Thank you guys, you have all been very informative.
I don't think I would have much chance at Oxbridge (especially as I don't do further maths) so I guess my top aim would be Warwick
Reply 10
You'd be mad to turn Oxbridge down for Warwick (I'm a Warwick student). It's 2 of the oldest uni's in history that look like Hogwarts and offer more career opportunities (Mgmt consulting) compared to a great uni with great career prospects but it's kinda **** socially and looks like something out the 1960's.
Reply 11
i think i am going to put warwick as my first choice simply becuase i dont feel im a strong enough candidate for oxbridge, but as your a warwick student please could i ask you some questions?

What is the nightlife like there?
and What course are you studying?
and would you recommend as a uni?
Reply 12
Bump, just so others in a similar predicament see this:

http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2014/jun/03/university-guide-2015-league-table-for-economics

From 10th to 2nd, with LSE down in 6th behind Queen Mary. Honestly, the Guardian tables are the last thing anyone should be using to decide which uni to go to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending