The Student Room Group

The 'middle class' label

Scroll to see replies

Its definitely an insult on here. There's the whole reverse snobbery for those who go to private schools or those who come from wealthy families.
I've noticed a lot of right-wing people on here accusing anyone who doesn't hate immigrants of being middle class...
It's funny if 'middle class' is being taken as an insult, because more and more British people like to claim they are middle class when asked in surveys.

I was brought up in the middle class and so (unless I was filled with guilt and self-loathing - both sometimes identified with the MC!) I won't say it's an insult.

Actually (classic middle class sentence starter) I think there are good things about the MCs.

Upsides

* They value learning and culture and make a point of supporting both.

* Middles often yearn for things to be better and want to build a better society.

* They can be very funny - some of our best comedians are of the middling sort. I love people like David Mitchell, Miles Jupp, Ian Hislop and Tom Hollander, all solid MC figures with huge humour quotients.

* Middle class people often do very socially useful things, like being doctors, teachers, university academics, theatre producers and tax accountants.

* They spread good taste and common decency.

Downsides

* Can be reserved, stuffy and cool.

* Have a tendency to be hypocritical, especially about the morals of the other classes.

* Make a fuss about things that don't matter (designer food, the right sort of wallpaper, what's fashionable to wear at Crufts) and ignore things that do matter. (Poverty, oppression of low paid workers who clean their homes, wash their hair, empty their bins.)

* Confused as to who they are. Many working class people wrongly claim to be middle class. So do some upper class/very wealthy people. Some middle class people 'move up' and forget how it was to be in the humble middle.

* Arrogant about their position and yet whingy about it as well. Quite a few solid middles are very well off and they act superior about that, but they still moan about all the iniquities of their situations.

* Tend to vote Tory a lot. Annoyingly. Although a segment of the middles that used to vote Tory has switched to LibDem and Labour.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Old_Simon
Middle class ? And dyslexic too. Oh my aren't you the lucky one.

What are you trying to say? :colonhash:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I don't know. It could be Brighton rock.

hmmm your are Havana good day :wink:
Original post by elpistolero7
Its definitely an insult on here. There's the whole reverse snobbery for those who go to private schools or those who come from wealthy families.

This. It's pathetic. I'm middle class , and there's nothing wrong with it.
It's funny if 'middle class' is being taken as an insult, because more and more British people like to claim they are middle class when asked in surveys.

I was brought up in the middle class and so (unless I was filled with guilt and self-loathing - both sometimes identified with the MC!) I won't say it's an insult.

Actually (classic middle class sentence starter) I think there are good things about the MCs.

Upsides

* They value learning and culture and make a point of supporting both.

* Middles often yearn for things to be better and want to build a better society.

* They can be very funny - some of our best comedians are of the middling sort. I love people like David Mitchell, Miles Jupp, Ian Hislop and Tom Hollander, all solid MC figures with huge humour quotients.

* Middle class people often do very socially useful things, like being doctors, teachers, university academics, theatre producers and tax accountants.

* They spread good taste and common decency.

Downsides

* Can be reserved, stuffy and cool.

* Have a tendency to be hypocritical, especially about the morals of the other classes.

* Make a fuss about things that don't matter (designer food, the right sort of wallpaper, what's fashionable to wear at Crufts) and ignore things that do matter. (Poverty, oppression of low paid workers who clean their homes, wash their hair, empty their bins.)

* Confused as to who they are. Many working class people wrongly claim to be middle class. So do some upper class/very wealthy people. Some middle class people 'move up' and forget how it was to be in the humble middle.

* Arrogant about their position and yet whingy about it as well. Quite a few solid middles are very well off and they act superior about that, but they still moan about all the iniquities of their situations.

* Tend to vote Tory a lot. Annoyingly. Although a segment of the middles that used to vote Tory has switched to LibDem and Labour.

This is actually a good summary :lol:
Original post by bertstare
What is the cut off point (salary or net worth or whatever) between middle and upper?

It's not usually based on salary but occupation:
http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/guide-method/classifications/current-standard-classifications/soc2010/soc2010-volume-3-ns-sec--rebased-on-soc2010--user-manual/index.html

There are other methods which look at economic capital and cultural capital but generally occupation is the main signifier of social class.
Original post by Georgie_M
It's not usually based on salary but occupation:
http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/guide-method/classifications/current-standard-classifications/soc2010/soc2010-volume-3-ns-sec--rebased-on-soc2010--user-manual/index.html

There are other methods which look at economic capital and cultural capital but generally occupation is the main signifier of social class.

I'd disagree with that, surely it's a combination? Loads of rich kids do jobs they enjoy rather than anything particularly high powered but they don't suddenly become working class...
Original post by JamesGibson
The very existence of the middle class is disgusting - it's a group of people that start life with more opportunities, better education and a better chance to earn more money.

Nah, some people work pretty hard to get up there and you can't really fault that. I think you might be talking about upper-middle class but even then.
Original post by ChickenMadness
cus you got so much expensive stuff lmao.

Three story house. Two cars. Horses lol

Haha what?

My in laws are the most working class people you are ever likely to meet. They have a large period house in a village, hence they need two cars to get to work (no public transport) and they have horses because my mother in law works with horses.

(They can afford a large house because they live in north Lincolnshire)
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
I'd disagree with that, surely it's a combination? Loads of rich kids do jobs they enjoy rather than anything particularly high powered but they don't suddenly become working class...

Yeah as I said there are other methods which I think are more reliable too but traditionally it was done on occupation and that's how the government still look at it.

This seems more appropriate (although I doubt any method could be all encompassing).

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22007058
Original post by PsychadelicScarf
See, why is it upper class? You'd be surprised by the amount of people own horses.

We don't all walk around in jodphurs, talking about a spiffing day at the races. It's hard work, daily. So why is it a middle class thing?

I agree, tons of people own horses and they aren't rich at all.
Plenty of people living in villages own horses because they enjoy horse-riding, but it's not a "rich" practice.
This is actually a good summary :lol:

Gosh. Thanks awfully, actually that's incredibly sweet of you. It's quite hard to put one's self out there actually.
Haha what?

My in laws are the most working class people you are ever likely to meet. They have a large period house in a village, hence they need two cars to get to work (no public transport) and they have horses because my mother in law works with horses.

(They can afford a large house because they live in north Lincolnshire)

Out of interest, what sort of job(s) do they do? I think the economic demographers would probably classify them as middle class, even though they retain their working class identity.

The same thing can be true the other way - some middle class people end up living as working class people, doing 'working class jobs', but still 'feeling' middle class.
Yeah as I said there are other methods which I think are more reliable too but traditionally it was done on occupation and that's how the government still look at it.

This seems more appropriate (although I doubt any method could be all encompassing).

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22007058

Yeah that method seems better. I mean, I know some very rich people who work as retail assistants and office workers just cause they like it
Original post by the bear
hmmm your are Havana good day :wink:

Your wit makes me greene with envy.
Your wit makes me greene with envy.

you are getting to the heart of the matter

:rofl:
Original post by elpistolero7

Look I'm middle class but, really?

Boohoohoo, it's so tough being subject to reverse snobbery, our lives our so hard, all these inequalities...
Yeah that method seems better. I mean, I know some very rich people who work as retail assistants and office workers just cause they like it

Yeah but I'd think you'd agree it's not about wealth but attitudes and beliefs. In that sense it's probably cultural and social capital that tends to be the most important.

Quick Reply

Latest