The Student Room Group

Scared:(

I did 4 GCSE exams last year in year 10 but this year in year 11 I am doing 16 exams over 3 weeks. Last year before I went into my exams I was crying and shaking so much I couldn't start for at least 10 minutes and now I am scared this will happen again this year. For my science mocks this year I was the same shaking and crying and they were only mocks I can't control myself or stop this from happening no matter how hard I try. I have also tried other things like sitting down, not revising just before the exam, staying away from other people,making deep breaths etc and nothing seems to work. I still passed my GCSES last year but this year I am hoping for more than a pass as I have worked extremely hard this year and have taken my GCSES more seriously. I am predicted B's, A's and A*'s in everything and if I don't get them I wouldn't have just let myself down but my teachers too. Has any one got any tips to help me stay calm before the exams as I can't go through this process before every exam.
Original post by Charlblackburn
I did 4 GCSE exams last year in year 10 but this year in year 11 I am doing 16 exams over 3 weeks. Last year before I went into my exams I was crying and shaking so much I couldn't start for at least 10 minutes and now I am scared this will happen again this year. For my science mocks this year I was the same shaking and crying and they were only mocks I can't control myself or stop this from happening no matter how hard I try. I have also tried other things like sitting down, not revising just before the exam, staying away from other people,making deep breaths etc and nothing seems to work. I still passed my GCSES last year but this year I am hoping for more than a pass as I have worked extremely hard this year and have taken my GCSES more seriously. I am predicted B's, A's and A*'s in everything and if I don't get them I wouldn't have just let myself down but my teachers too. Has any one got any tips to help me stay calm before the exams as I can't go through this process before every exam.

Remind yourself that panic only makes this worse... gcses are just papers on everything you have learnt... thats all
Reply 2
Original post by Charlblackburn

For me, prevention is the best way to deal with panic/anxiety before an exam. Make sure you know the content inside out, then what's the worst that can happen?

How far are you down the register? I'm L, so just over half way, so I usually have about 7 minutes before the exam to sit in silence. Use this time to calm down. Have a few sips of water, take some deep breaths and get your pen/pencil/ruler/calculator/whatever you'll need for the exam out and have it ready. Make sure you're well prepared with plenty of back-up pens and pencils. Read the front of the paper to get your mind focused on something.

Good luck!
Download "How to Relax" from www.keweipress.com

It was written for students and it is totally free. There is other stuff there that might help you too.

Good luck and stay cool!
Reply 4
Original post by Angelo12231
Remind yourself that panic only makes this worse... gcses are just papers on everything you have learnt... thats all

I have tried this and have also had many people say this to me but whenever I hear don't panic or they're only exams all I hear is panic and they're exams and I don't know how to keep myself from thinking this
Reply 5
Original post by kjl234
For me, prevention is the best way to deal with panic/anxiety before an exam. Make sure you know the content inside out, then what's the worst that can happen?

How far are you down the register? I'm L, so just over half way, so I usually have about 7 minutes before the exam to sit in silence. Use this time to calm down. Have a few sips of water, take some deep breaths and get your pen/pencil/ruler/calculator/whatever you'll need for the exam out and have it ready. Make sure you're well prepared with plenty of back-up pens and pencils. Read the front of the paper to get your mind focused on something.

Good luck!

I am B but we don't sit in alphabetical order we sit in our classes in the rows in the exam hall I usually have around that time whilst they give out the exam papers and run through the front telling us how long we have and to make sure to have all the equipment needed and if we don't to go and collect them from the front. Once the exam has started I am fine it's just getting into the exam I can't do very well.

Thank you!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by kevinbarry
Download "How to Relax" from www.keweipress.com

It was written for students and it is totally free. There is other stuff there that might help you too.

Good luck and stay cool!

Thanks!
I find playing some song lyrics in my head to be an excellent distraction. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest