The Student Room Group

Best 'Cramming' success story you know..

Scroll to see replies

I forgot about my physics separate science GSCE - how is this even possible? - until 7pm the night before. Revised three topics that night, one the next morning and came out with 100UMS :biggrin:.

Not a risk I want to take again..
97/100 on GCSE Statistics exam, and spent all night playing cod 4.

Why did I halve the binomial?! I could have got 100 :/
Reply 82
Original post by Top Queen
What is the best result you've heard someone achieve in their A-Level results with a month or under revision.

Personally, mine is my brother. He started his Maths revision 16 days before the exam and got an A* in the A-Level.

Didn't cram then?
Reply 83
I know a guy who got a D in an end of year physics mock, the teacher told him he had to retake in 3 days and he got a strong A (~90-95% UMS). According to him he did 57 hours revision in 3 days, it was madness!
I got a strong B at AS level English language with a full 20 minutes revision (looking up something like personal pronouns) could probably done better had I not finished an hour early and drawn pictures :tongue:
Original post by P357
Did you by any chance focus on just knowing the content really well?I know one girl in my year who did this-that is to say she practically knew every topic by heart-and came out with a B and C ..

I'd say,be thoroughly argumentative in your essays. Honestly you don't even need to know the entire content that your teacher gives you.
I went into those exams with MASSIVE gaps in my knowledge('cause let's face it,there's only so many pages you can cover within 6/7 hours).
The thing to do is to get acquainted with the general argument for each topic so that you can produce a logical solidly-argued essay.

Basically essay-writing skills trumps knowledge when it comes to achieving the higher grade in the exam itself. So my main advice to anyone actually doing philosophy would probably be to practice writing argumentative-type essays-i.e. focus 30% of your revision on studying the content and the other 70% on reproducing it into actual essays,ones that are argumentative and analytic and not just descriptive(so don't just say what one scholar said and then just juxtapose him to someone else,actually ANALYSE which is stronger etc etc etc )

My A's weren't super high to be perfectly honest because I lost marks in the first section(the 15 markers,where actual content knowledge is assessed),but I got really high scores on the 30 markers with minimal revision purely because i focused on building a solid argument that answered the question.

I know the content sooo well but had no idea how to answer the question!!!

Okay, so what structure would you advise?

I wish I got an A. I worked my arse off!

Are you on AQA?
Reply 86
My entire GCSE History grade was based on cramming and last minute things-
We had 6-weeks to plan our South Africa coursework and gather our sources, etc. I did nothing for the 6-weeks, then on the night before writing my coursework essay, I found sources: I got 49/50 (lost 1 mark because of some spelling mistakes). Some of my classmates spent weeks of planning and drafting their coursework, and they ended up with marks like 30/50...

Then for my 2 exams, did no revision (too busy TRYING to revise AS maths) until the night before and the morning of both exams and ended up getting an A for both.
I wish I had revised more though, I could've gotten an A*
Plus, I suppose it didn't help the fact that I finished my first History paper with 25 minutes to spare, so I took a light, but much deserved, nap.
Maths A level, did no revision and got very close to 100%.
Anyone who crams is just taking an unnecessary gamble. Just revise.
Original post by Top Queen
What is the best result you've heard someone achieve in their A-Level results with a month or under revision.

Personally, mine is my brother. He started his Maths revision 16 days before the exam and got an A* in the A-Level.

4 days of revision for half of my Physics A-level without attending classes throughout the year. Achieved 118/120 in the module revised for. Did about 2 weeks for the other module and got 120/120.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 90
Because I was so focused on getting good grades in Maths and Chemistry AS, I left studying my Biology AS until about a week before. I crammed hard for about 5 or 6 days and walked out with nearly full UMS. Never been so stressed out in my life though, so certainly don't want to be doing that again! :wink:
Reply 91
A new book (A memory of light) came out 2 days before my maths GCSE so i spent two days solely reading that book, ended up only having 2 hours to revise and managed to get a A*.:biggrin:
Original post by mandem2k11
Was expelled (very unfairly) from school in March Year 13. Was on BBC with my final exam session in june coming up.

Started cramming one exam 24 hours before (about 40 pages of notes)

Got 100% in 4 exams, 95%+ in my other 3 ...ended up getting A*A*A overall with no teaching all self taught

just learn the mark schemes and your notes by writing them out over and over, thats what i did. Had about 2hrs sleep over 3 days.

Anything is possible , believe me!

I have three weeks to cram in units I have not been taught! I feel like I am SOOO SCREWED.

English, History and Philo. Nothings going into my head. HOW DO I DO IT?
Original post by Changing Skies
Started properly revising the day before for AS level History and English Literature. Got As.

I did the same for Biology but got a B, so now I'm having to resit a unit :colonhash:

Not cramming quite as badly this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm calling bull****.
Original post by jjmichaeljadson
I'm calling bull****.

Not at all, I'm not sad enough to make that up, nor am I proud of my work ethic.
(edited 9 years ago)
I was quite ill over my A levels and missed huge chunks of school so my revision was actually having to learn from scratch. I started two days before the exams and got A* in Chemistry, and A's in Maths and Biology.
I nearly had a heart attack with the amount of stress and red bull.
Not at all, I'm not sad enough to make that up, nor am I proud of my work ethic.

Well did you revise the topics as you learnt them for history? And for English you must have done wider reading (I presume you did AQA)
Well did you revise the topics as you learnt them for history? And for English you must have done wider reading (I presume you did AQA)

Nope, for one exam I just revised a few topics rather than the whole book, the ones I revised didn't come up. Luckily I had wrote essays on the ones that did come up so could just about pluck some information from the back of my mind. The second history I barely revised any topics because I only needed my own knowledge for the second source question; the topic I revised most thankfully came up. I was SO lucky as it was an unusual choice of question.

English, nope, but I did do AQA. I honestly, and I mean honestly, just wrote about one page of notes. The boundaries were 47/84 for an A so it wasn't much of a problem.
Nope, for one exam I just revised a few topics rather than the whole book, the ones I revised didn't come up. Luckily I had wrote essays on the ones that did come up so could just about pluck some information from the back of my mind. The second history I barely revised any topics because I only needed my own knowledge for the second source question; the topic I revised most thankfully came up. I was SO lucky as it was an unusual choice of question.

English, nope, but I did do AQA. I honestly, and I mean honestly, just wrote about one page of notes. The boundaries were 47/84 for an A so it wasn't much of a problem.

Okay, I apologise, that's understandable/believable. And our English exam is out of 90 and the grade boundaries are really high :/ that sucks. Were you doing the Victorian era or a different topic?
Okay, I apologise, that's understandable/believable. And our English exam is out of 90 and the grade boundaries are really high :/ that sucks. Were you doing the Victorian era or a different topic?

It's okay :smile: ouch, what exam are you doing? I did Aspects of Narrative (The Great Gatsby, The Kite Runner, Rime of the Ancient Mariner and poems by Keats) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest