The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Choo.choo
Scotland does not vote Tory because we don't agree with their policies.

Do we not?

Thatcher got more votes in 79 than Salmond has ever revived in any other election.

Voting patterns change.
Where are you getting that from? We did not vote for the Tories. We never have done. Yes, some people voted for them, but in your opinion that means Scotland should be ruled by them regardless of the number of votes. The SNP won the election. Are you not right in the head or something? You consistently argue this point even when people tell you you are wrong.

Look up the numbers for yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Where are you getting that from? We did not vote for the Tories. We never have done. Yes, some people voted for them, but in your opinion that means Scotland should be ruled by them regardless of the number of votes. The SNP won the election. Are you not right in the head or something? You consistently argue this point even when people tell you you are wrong.

Thatcher received 916k votes in 79.

The most Salmond has received is in the most recent Holyrood elections 902k
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_in_Scotland#/search

You may want to brush up on your political history . There's been quite a few times when the Torys have been the dominant party in Scotland.

The amazing thing is, you're using this line of argument as if you're a bitter labour supporter, but you're actually an SNP supporter.

Even labour knows that the SNPs argument are bonkers.
Do we need Scotland for our economic wellbeing? No. We're an advanced economy, we don't need oil and gas to be strong economically. Besides, both England and Wales could have shale gas, so who gives a **** about North Sea reserves.

I say let them go, they say they "built the Empire" but neglect to mention England had a large empire long before the Act of Union....
Original post by 1tartanarmy
I forgot about them, LIB comes across a biased to me

No ****, Sherlock.

he has links to the armed forces and is kinda tainted by that

My short stint in the university OTC has 'tainted' me? Why's that? Perhaps my brain got slightly addled by the £1 pints.

Where are you getting that from? We did not vote for the Tories. We never have done.

I didn't realise that someone could speak so much about Scottish politics and be so ignorant of it at the same time.

The Tories have been the most electorally successful party in Scotland's history. They are the only party to ever win a general election in Scotland under universal suffrage with more than 50% of the popular vote - and that was well within my parents' lifetimes, not long ago.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by carlisomes
Do we need Scotland for our economic wellbeing? No. We're an advanced economy, we don't need oil and gas to be strong economically. Besides, both England and Wales could have shale gas, so who gives a **** about North Sea reserves.

I say let them go, they say they "built the Empire" but neglect to mention England had a large empire long before the Act of Union....

You did not have an empire before the act of of union...

"Let them go"

You do realise we voted for a party that promised this referendum, and they are now delivering it....we haven't voted yet so "letting us go" is a bit of an odd thing to say....furthermore....what does that even mean? You don't have a say on whether Scotland can leave or not....only Scotland does. The edinburgh agreement was made but that was made in the principles of democracy.

"Let them go"

You do realise we voted for a party that promised this referendum, and they are now delivering it....we haven't voted yet so "letting us go" is a bit of an odd thing to say....furthermore....what does that even mean? You don't have a say on whether Scotland can leave or not....only Scotland does. The edinburgh agreement was made but that was made in the principles of democracy.

Little Scotlander versus little Englander .

UKIP versus the SNP.

How long till they realise that they're cut from the same cloth?
Original post by MatureStudent36
Little Scotlander versus little Englander .

UKIP versus the SNP.

How long till they realise that they're cut from the same cloth?

So I'm a little Englander because I don't care if the Scots get independence? or that England can survive well without them? or that the "value" they brought to the Union is overstated? Oh, and they invented stuff, but yeah Dr. Jenner was Scottish, right? Smith invented economics, but we use an Englishman's (Marshall) theories, not Smith's since they've been long discredited.
Original post by carlisomes
So I'm a little Englander because I don't care if the Scots get independence? or that England can survive well without them? or that the "value" they brought to the Union is overstated? Oh, and they invented stuff, but yeah Dr. Jenner was Scottish, right? Smith invented economics, but we use an Englishman's (Marshall) theories, not Smith's since they've been long discredited.

RUK will manage quite fine without Scotland, that much is true.

However, Yes voters take note: your condescending and insulting remarks about RUK over the last few years are creating these kinds of sentiments elsewhere.
Original post by ch0llima
Being Scottish born and bred and having moved to England for a job recently I'm beginning to at least entertain the independence angle and hear it out, whereas before I was steadfastly against it. I still think it would be a monumentally bad idea long term, but I can at least see why people might be taken in.

England really is a whole different world, and it's become apparent that most of the English saying Scotland should go independent are jealous of some of the nice little perks Holyrood have introduced while their local Borough/County Council and/or expenses cheating MP ignores them. This is a case of cutting off the nose to spite the face and it comes from the same people bleating on about getting a proper English Parliament and turning the House of Commons into some kind of much smaller institution dealing with all issues that affect the entire UK e.g. defence.

Oh well, I won't get a vote anyway unless I move back up north. It probably will happen but not before 2014 and the referendum.
\

Envious? no lol...

I'm not a pensioner and have paid off student debts, I don't care what they do...
Reply 9690
[video="youtube;x-ZMwp1elXw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-ZMwp1elXw[/video]

UKOK?

I think not!
Original post by Boab
Sure you are. Your hatred of Scots will see you stay in an Independent Scotland? I think not!

I will stay as long as it takes to finish my PhD. I don't hate anybody, but I do disagree with anglophobic sentiments.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9692
bmk93hzcmaaujur.jpg

Oh no?

You don't have a say on whether Scotland can leave or not....only Scotland does. The edinburgh agreement was made but that was made in the principles of democracy.

Actually, in accordance with democratic principles, she does. It is her elected representatives, in Parliament, who will decide - that is true of all MPs, from any part of the UK.

The Edinburgh Agreement is only morally binding against the present government, not parliament. So she does have a say, because this is a democracy.

... sometimes you have to think "more's the pity", though.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10818256/UK-economy-tops-its-pre-crash-high-point-says-NIESR.html

If you don't want a part of it, go ahead and vote Yes. Feel free to keep blaming Westminster though.
Reply 9695
Original post by Midlander
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10818256/UK-economy-tops-its-pre-crash-high-point-says-NIESR.html

If you don't want a part of it, go ahead and vote Yes. Feel free to keep blaming Westminster though.

And herein lies the problem. You cite an article that the UK economy is doing well, and that it may well be, but it sure as hell isn't helping those that need it the most!

So again...

bmk93hzcmaaujur.jpg
Original post by Boab
And herein lies the problem. You cite an article that the UK economy is doing well, and that it may well be, but it sure as hell isn't helping those that need it the most!

So again...

bmk93hzcmaaujur.jpg

Really? So increasing the tax free allowance to £10k and committing hundreds of millions to job creation doesn't qualify for that in your eyes?
Really? So increasing the tax free allowance to £10k and committing hundreds of millions to job creation doesn't qualify for that in your eyes?

Thats just tinkering...massive change is needed. Here is more on what is really happening under this economic progress you claim of.

The True Cost of Austerity - Dennis Curran: http://youtu.be/sIiq86KbYmo
Thats just tinkering...massive change is needed. Here is more on what is really happening under this economic progress you claim of.

The True Cost of Austerity - Dennis Curran: http://youtu.be/sIiq86KbYmo

So it's just tinkering to give people thousands of pounds extra year? I know I could sure have used that when half my wages were going on rent a few years ago.

As for austerity-it is a harsh necessity of restoring the economy to strength.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9699
So it's just tinkering to give people thousands of pounds extra year? I know I could sure have used that when half my wages were going on rent a few years ago.

As for austerity-it is a harsh necessity of restoring the economy to strength.

Bingo again! And who is it benefiting? The rich, not the poor!

You are quite happy to be a part of a country where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, but count me out.

Latest

Trending

Trending