The Student Room Group

AQA Geography A Tuesday 13th May

How are you feeling about the physical paper fellow AQA geographers? Do you reckon it will be harder than in previous years?

Scroll to see replies

I feel okay about the exam. I've got a pretty good knowledge of all the case studies, I just hope I'm able to explain all of the geographical processes to the detail that the examiners require.

I'm aiming for an A* and got 59/60 in my coursework.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
I am not ready at all im so terrified im doing the restless earth. water on the land and coastal zone I just feel like I don't know enough:eek::s-smilie:
Reply 3
Original post by JamesGibson
I'm feel okay about the exam. I've got a pretty good knowledge of all the case studies, I just hope I'm able to explain all of the geographical processes to the detail that the examiners require.

I'm aiming for an A* and got 59/60 in my coursework.

Well done! Yeah I think I need to revise my case studies in more depth :/ what topics are you doing?
Restless Earth, Water on the Land, The Coastal Zone
Reply 5
Got an A in coursework and I'm working at a B/A what will my coursework bring it up to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello :biggrin: Ive done loads of end of topic tests and mock exams and ive been getting around 62/75 , is that enough for an A*?
Reply 7
Restless Earth, Water on the Land, The Coastal Zone

I'm doing Restless Earth and Coastal Zone too (which I HATE)
Reply 8
Original post by rend
I am not ready at all im so terrified im doing the restless earth. water on the land and coastal zone I just feel like I don't know enough:eek::s-smilie:

same here :frown:
Original post by Marcusroye98
Hello :biggrin: Ive done loads of end of topic tests and mock exams and ive been getting around 62/75 , is that enough for an A*?

62 would be 85%. So, if you could get 62 marks in both your physical and human tests and then get 52+ marks in your coursework - you'd almost certainly get an A*.

The grade boundary for an A* in AQA Geography is usually between 80-85%.

Good luck!
Reply 10

It's enough for an A* on the physical paper! not on the human one.
62 would be 85%. So, if you could get 62 marks in both your physical and human tests and then get 52+ marks in your coursework - you'd almost certainly get an A*.

The grade boundary for an A* in AQA Geography is usually between 80-85%.

Good luck!

I got 53 on the coursework, I want an A*! (
Original post by Dave8991
It's enough for an A* on the physical paper! not on the human one.

How many marks do you need on human? oh!! i forgot about the spelling and grammar xD
I should mention that there are an extra 9 marks on the human paper for spelling and grammar. So to get that A*, you'd also need to have well written answers - but if you're working at an A* anyway, I wouldn't think that would be too much of an issue.
I should mention that there are an extra 9 marks on the human paper for spelling and grammar. So to get that A*, you'd also need to have well written answers - but if you're working at an A* anyway, I wouldn't think that would be too much of an issue.

on the restless earth; i think earthquakes are going to come up and a volcanic eruption will be the case study :biggrin:
on the restless earth; i think earthquakes are going to come up and a volcanic eruption will be the case study :biggrin:

Well, it's unlikely that they are going to ask about the same case study in a short few year period - so you might very well be right.

2013's 8 mark question was on a Tsunami case study.
2012's 8 mark question was on ocean trenches and fold mountains.
2011's 8 mark question was on a fold mountain case study (the Alps).

So, just by the process of deduction, there's a limited number of options that could come up.I'm thinking either a volcanic eruption like you said, or a question on a single earthquake in either an LEDC or an MEDC.
Well, it's unlikely that they are going to ask about the same case study in a short few year period - so you might very well be right.

2013's 8 mark question was on a Tsunami case study.
2012's 8 mark question was on ocean trenches and fold mountains.
2011's 8 mark question was on a fold mountain case study (the Alps).

So, just by the process of deduction, there's a limited number of options that could come up.I'm thinking either a volcanic eruption like you said, or a question on a single earthquake in either an LEDC or an MEDC.

Questions about volcanoes have come up so i think we will get questions about how an earthquake occus. There may be one about the mercalli scale or rhicter scale :smile:
I dont have a clue for water on the land!
I was wondering, for the case studies. Is it best to make 3 points in detail or like 6 points in not much detail?
You don't need 80-85% to get an A*. Last year it was mid 70s.
Original post by lawrencefrape1
You don't need 80-85% to get an A*. Last year it was mid 70s.

Thanks :smile: I thoght 85 % seemed a bit high! it may be because a lot of schools took the physical paper in year 10...

Quick Reply

Latest