The Student Room Group

AS Music OCR Revision help?!?!

The exam, as those doing music as is on Monday, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on revision?
I'm so unmotivated to revise and I have no clue how the exam is going to look!
I've looked on the OCR website and all the set works are out of date!
Help would be much appreciated!!

Many thanks,
Charlie

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, same here I'm finding it so hard to be bothered to revise aha, what set works are you doing? Should be the handel Mozart and Beethoven plus the jazz set works, so hotter than that, ko-ko and boplicity? That's what I'm doing anyways, I've got a study guide which is pretty useful so if you're stuck on stuff I can try (and probs fail) to help? 👍
Reply 2
Same!!!! I'm finding it really hard to memorise key details of the orchestral works. To your knowledge, are we supposed to know specific bar numbers for key aspects and ornaments etc?
Reply 3
I dont think so?? But actually I kinda got the impression from my teachers that for the essay sections it helps to have some reference points, so you can say for example like 'he uses syncopation eg bars 10-11' or something like that but i dont really know.. not very helpful sorry!! Have you had any info/practice on the section B part of the paper? I literally have no clue what to expect :dontknow:
Reply 4
Yeah, same! Dreading the exam so much, and the thought of revision is so boring.

I've got the revision guide and that's it, other than bits of info my teacher has given me.

No clue what to expect in the section B. and I'm finding it impossible to memorise and focus!!!!!! At least it's not just me!

The essay is the worst thing for me!
Reply 5
That's the exact same with me aha I haven't really revised any of it I just can't get into it, and yeah the essay is so hard!! I just can't write under timed conditions at all!
cant believe the exam is tomorrow !!!!
:frown:
I have just been told to learn the context or the essay but only seem to manage to get10/20 ay tipsss??
for sectin b we were told to just memorise what could come up rather then specifics and for the longer questions just to write in bull it points if we are struggling
I just hate the notating part in section a

sooo scaarredddda
This conversation has been so helpful! Glad everyone is struggling with the same parts as i am!! I do Music on my own so i can't really ask anyone what they are finding hard.

I have been writing short basic titles for the essays like "Instrumetation - Boplicity/Koko" and writing 10 comparison points - hoping to high heaven that i will get 2 marks for the comparisons! SOMETHING THAT SEEMS TO CROP UP ALOT is RECORDING TECHNOLOGY! i have made extensive notes on this and there are some good resources on TES about this!

My teacher has given me - during the year as we tackled each piece - a printed sheet with the basics of each piece on, they were from TES - like a teachers resource thing and IT REALLY REALLY REALLY HELPS!!!!!!!!!!! Type in "music as ocr" and it should come up, it has like pictures of the composers on.

And also, can anyone help with transpositions?
for transpositions if it is in say e flat, if a c Is written on the score it sounds an e flat -so to work out the other notes you look at how many semitones you have moved by and apply it everything else
Original post by Mytchett216
for transpositions if it is in say e flat, if a c Is written on the score it sounds an e flat -so to work out the other notes you look at how many semitones you have moved by and apply it everything else

Thank you!!!! Good luck for tomorrow :smile:
Reply 10
I've got this tomorrow too! I find Section A to be the easiest section. The essay is a killer!!
Original post by secfrancis
Thank you!!!! Good luck for tomorrow :smile:

your welcome thanks you too :smile:
any help with what you comment on in the 8 makr questions -(instrumentation or texture)
Original post by Knowing
I've got this tomorrow too! I find Section A to be the easiest section. The essay is a killer!!

agreed ,hope all goes well for you good luck :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by secfrancis
And also, can anyone help with transpositions?

My method for Eb horn is that you go up a minor 3rd from what's written and then put it down an octave, so say if it was written at middle C, it would actually sound as an Eb below middle C... Sounds totally confusing but once you get the hang of it it works!! Alternatively you can just go down a major 6th, I find that a bit harder but that might just be me.. For Bb clarinet it just sounds a tone lower than what's written. Good luck for tomorrow!! Sounds like you're really prepared for the essay, i think I'm just gonna have to hope for a nice question and kinda blag it a bit if I'm honest!! How specific/exact do we have to be in the references that we make for the essay?
Reply 15
Original post by Mytchett216
any help with what you comment on in the 8 makr questions -(instrumentation or texture)

Ermm are they the ones where you have to compare the two recordings? In the papers I looked at they give you four bullet points for you to refer to so I would just make two points around each of those, but looking at the mark schemes what they really want is bar numbers!! We have to be super precise I think, ughh it's such a nightmare!
Original post by maismoo
Ermm are they the ones where you have to compare the two recordings? In the papers I looked at they give you four bullet points for you to refer to so I would just make two points around each of those, but looking at the mark schemes what they really want is bar numbers!! We have to be super precise I think, ughh it's such a nightmare!

oh okay thank you great , I know isn't it just
Reply 17
Do they ever expect you to cite bar numbers from the set works scores outside of the extracts they give you? :s-smilie:
Reply 18
Original post by Knowing
Do they ever expect you to cite bar numbers from the set works scores outside of the extracts they give you? :s-smilie:

I don't think so, I just noticed from reading the examiners reports and the mark schemes that for section A and B for pretty much every answer you give, so if like describing the harmony or the melody line, it's good to be as specific as possible and give bar numbers cos you can get more marks if you do!! Also I know it's pretty last minute but if any of you are pretty much just trying to madly cram everything now (like me :tongue:), I found looking at the examiners reports really useful as it kinda gives some direction of the things they really want to see, so it helps if your feeling stressed in kinda giving your revision some kind of aim, if that makes any sense :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by maismoo
I don't think so, I just noticed from reading the examiners reports and the mark schemes that for section A and B for pretty much every answer you give, so if like describing the harmony or the melody line, it's good to be as specific as possible and give bar numbers cos you can get more marks if you do!! Also I know it's pretty last minute but if any of you are pretty much just trying to madly cram everything now (like me :tongue:), I found looking at the examiners reports really useful as it kinda gives some direction of the things they really want to see, so it helps if your feeling stressed in kinda giving your revision some kind of aim, if that makes any sense :smile:

Cool, I'll do that, thanks :biggrin:

How did everyone else do in the other stuff, i.e. composing, performing, etc.? :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest