The Student Room Group

Let's talk about King Lear

I decided to start a thread on King Lear because I'm studying it (OCR) and I love talking about it.

So if anyone has any ideas to share or questions to ask...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you think the use of blank verse for nobility/people of a higher social status, and prose for characters of less social significance or perhaps to indicate madness is implemented in King Lear? Can you think of examples?
Reply 2
Original post by Raffa1
I decided to start a thread on King Lear because I'm studying it (OCR) and I love talking about it.

So if anyone has any ideas to share or questions to ask...

Posted from TSR Mobile

i'm studying it on AQA B but how are you revising it. my exam involves analysing an extract from Lear so i might be doing different things to you
Reply 3
Original post by tgwktm
i'm studying it on AQA B but how are you revising it. my exam involves analysing an extract from Lear so i might be doing different things to you

Yeah that's a bit different, ours is closed text. I asked my teacher about this and she gave me a really useful guide she made.
She suggested using the themes set by the exam board - or themes you've found yourself - e.g. religion, kingship and power, order and chaos etc. and creating a topic guide (or making up exam questions that could come up based on that theme then making plans) by picking out the key quotes or scenes you would use for it. Then do the same for the characters in the play.

With an extract (and closed text) I recommend just becoming really familiar with the play so you would know exactly where the extract fits in. It's likely they'd pick one that's got a lot for you to talk about. My teacher always said the extract isn't there to scare you, it's there to help you. This is what we did at gcse when we studied Animal Farm and Of Mice and Men anyway.
Hope that helps a bit! And good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Raffa1
Yeah that's a bit different, ours is closed text. I asked my teacher about this and she gave me a really useful guide she made.
She suggested using the themes set by the exam board - or themes you've found yourself - e.g. religion, kingship and power, order and chaos etc. and creating a topic guide (or making up exam questions that could come up based on that theme then making plans) by picking out the key quotes or scenes you would use for it. Then do the same for the characters in the play.

With an extract (and closed text) I recommend just becoming really familiar with the play so you would know exactly where the extract fits in. It's likely they'd pick one that's got a lot for you to talk about. My teacher always said the extract isn't there to scare you, it's there to help you. This is what we did at gcse when we studied Animal Farm and Of Mice and Men anyway.
Hope that helps a bit! And good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

my exam is about spoken language so we have to focus on discourse features a lot. the question is always about dramatic effects so also that. i have a guide to what to include in a answer, but as revision goes i am just re reading the play and making notes on plot, themes, characters and language features for each scene. it seems to be working but english is a subject which is hard to know if you have revised enough. its about practice really.
ours is closed book but its not so bad cause i don't need to remember quotes cause of the extract. my friend who does lit says she has to remember quotes for her exam
Reply 5
Original post by tgwktm
my exam is about spoken language so we have to focus on discourse features a lot. the question is always about dramatic effects so also that. i have a guide to what to include in a answer, but as revision goes i am just re reading the play and making notes on plot, themes, characters and language features for each scene. it seems to be working but english is a subject which is hard to know if you have revised enough. its about practice really.
ours is closed book but its not so bad cause i don't need to remember quotes cause of the extract. my friend who does lit says she has to remember quotes for her exam

Yeah it's difficult to revise for english. Notes and practice essays are the best way really. We haven't done much on form and discourse yet, we've done language analysis, context and interpretations so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Raffa1
Yeah it's difficult to revise for english. Notes and practice essays are the best way really. We haven't done much on form and discourse yet, we've done language analysis, context and interpretations so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile

our whole A2 is focused around spoken language so we have done quite a bit of discourse features etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending