The Student Room Group

Bad grades but lots of experience do I have a chance?

//
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
mhm..Why would you even want to transfer? I'm curious.
Original post by kaylaurend
Ok, so I have just finished my first year of media production at Northampton Uni, but I want to transfer, I have a few choices, Southampton Solent, Herts, UWE Bristol, Portsmouth and Brighton.

Brighton offered me in clearing last year but I declined it for a different but similar course to what I am applying for now. I have 200 UCAS points most of these courses want something ranging from (240 at the least one of them can't remember which one) 240-300

I'm applying for media production/film production type degrees. I have one year of experience in first year, I had a B in A2 film studies, I've done work experience at a film sales company for summit entertainment cofounder, i've got lots of paid film work for northampton uni and northampton uni students union, i'm a freelance photographer, done a bit of club photography. I've written about all this in my personal statement does anyone think I stand a chance getting in? (take into consideration I got into Northampton through clearing not normal application, but their tariff was 300 UCAS points - I've failed two modules though) oh and one of my kind of lecturer and also employer of a few jobs at the university is giving me a good reference.

Do you think I have a chance at getting in to any of these universities? Partically UWE, which has 280 points tariff. Thanks for listening :smile:
EDIT: I'm applying for year 1 entry btw.

You definitely have a shot, some unis automatically cut off at their lowest level others are more flexible.

The amount of work experience is not that important but more what you got out of your work experience so it totally depends how you presented it in your PS.

I'm a current UWE student, and they often accept lower points so fingers crossed, good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by Georgie_M
You definitely have a shot, some unis automatically cut off at their lowest level others are more flexible.

The amount of work experience is not that important but more what you got out of your work experience so it totally depends how you presented it in your PS.

I'm a current UWE student, and they often accept lower points so fingers crossed, good luck!

Thanks! :smile: Hopefully I'll be seeing you next year.

Also I want to transfer because I don't like the course and I don't like the town. It's a hit and miss there are some fantastic lecturers there but also some rubbish ones but it is a great place to study but not for me.
Worth a try but be prepared for rejection - doing that badly at A level is one thing, failing some modules on your chosen course is another. They might not want to give you another chance. But also you could always check Clearing again if they do reject you as they will most likely be more lenient then :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by infairverona
Worth a try but be prepared for rejection - doing that badly at A level is one thing, failing some modules on your chosen course is another. They might not want to give you another chance. But also you could always check Clearing again if they do reject you as they will most likely be more lenient then :smile:

Thanks for the advice :smile: I'm applying for first year not second and their hasn't been any area to put about modules I've done this year. I've got all Bs and Cs in everything apart from the one module where I didn't hand in one evaluation so I've probably failed and the other module where I didn't hand in one essay out of 4 which means probably failed that one too, not even entirely sure if I have but should have. In my personal statement I wrote about how the course not right for me because I don't like the live television aspect and the module is that one for one of them so hopefully that makes it a tiny bit not as bad

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm guessing OP wants to transfer into second year, so Clearing isn't really relevant.

I agree that failing modules on your current course could be a real sticking point and may put universities off, more so than poor A-levels. Although your extra-curicular experience is great, they may perhaps worry you have taken too much on, and not been as dedicated to your studies.
Reply 7
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
I'm guessing OP wants to transfer into second year, so Clearing isn't really relevant.

I agree that failing modules on your current course could be a real sticking point and may put universities off, more so than poor A-levels. Although your extra-curicular experience is great, they may perhaps worry you have taken too much on, and not been as dedicated to your studies.

No I want to join first year as I understand I haven't received 120 credits this year, I have a good sized showreel and portfolio from
The last year and prior to that as well, thanks for the advice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No I want to join first year as I understand I haven't received 120 credits this year, I have a good sized showreel and portfolio from
The last year and prior to that as well, thanks for the advice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh, I see. If you want to go into first year, and haven't sent your application off, are you planning to apply via clearing, or do you want to drop out and reapply next year?

If you are reapplying for first year, then your experience and portfolio may well count in your favour, but it is very likely that universities will want you to meet or at least be close to their points requirements. Could you take any qualifications independently next year to improve your grades?

If you are going through clearing, sometimes universities will be lenient with grades- however, they will have less time to consider your portfolio etc, so things could go either way. And of course it's not guarenteed that any course will have places available via clearing.
Reply 9
Ahh, I see. If you want to go into first year, and haven't sent your application off, are you planning to apply via clearing, or do you want to drop out and reapply next year?

If you are reapplying for first year, then your experience and portfolio may well count in your favour, but it is very likely that universities will want you to meet or at least be close to their points requirements. Could you take any qualifications independently next year to improve your grades?

If you are going through clearing, sometimes universities will be lenient with grades- however, they will have less time to consider your portfolio etc, so things could go either way. And of course it's not guarenteed that any course will have places available via clearing.

Yeah hopefully at least the 240 points one will accept me though! Also taking a year out isn't an option for me, if these universities don't accept me I shall continue at Northampton because although I'm looking for somewhere better it's still not that bad there, so it's between these universities accepting me or just going into 2nd year like normal and redoing those 2 modules at some point in the next 2/3 years :smile: (which is an option at northampton)

Edit: oh and I'm applying the usual way for those 5 unis and then at clearing I may apply for some more worse case scenario such as Nottingham Trent and Coventry (Coventry accepted me in clearing last year before a lot of my relevant experience) both of which I would of put on Ucas if there were more options :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah hopefully at least the 240 points one will accept me though! Also taking a year out isn't an option for me, if these universities don't accept me I shall continue at Northampton because although I'm looking for somewhere better it's still not that bad there, so it's between these universities accepting me or just going into 2nd year like normal and redoing those 2 modules at some point in the next 2/3 years :smile: (which is an option at northampton)

Edit: oh and I'm applying the usual way for those 5 unis and then at clearing I may apply for some more worse case scenario such as Nottingham Trent and Coventry (Coventry accepted me in clearing last year before a lot of my relevant experience) both of which I would of put on Ucas if there were more options :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just wondering, have you gone to look at all of these unis? Because that's an awful lot of choice and from the sounds of things you maybe didn't do as much research into Northampton as you could have...if you can, it'd be worth going to see as many as possible to choose one you'll be happier at. It'd be a shame if you do get accepted somewhere and end up in a similar predicament next time
Reply 11
Just wondering, have you gone to look at all of these unis? Because that's an awful lot of choice and from the sounds of things you maybe didn't do as much research into Northampton as you could have...if you can, it'd be worth going to see as many as possible to choose one you'll be happier at. It'd be a shame if you do get accepted somewhere and end up in a similar predicament next time

Yeah definitely I'm not making the same mistake twice, I still haven't sent off the application but I have been doing a lot of research and already know a lot about a couple of them, visited herts a few times too as I don't live too far from it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah definitely I'm not making the same mistake twice, I still haven't sent off the application but I have been doing a lot of research and already know a lot about a couple of them, visited herts a few times too as I don't live too far from it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough :smile: I go to Southampton so can't speak for Solent but the city is really nice, great nightlife and the Solent campus looks pretty nice

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you spoken to the universities about your application? If you're applying for 2014 entry, it's likely some/all of the courses you are interested in will already be filled.
In addition, there is the issue of the reference to be considered.
Reply 15
Have you spoken to the universities about your application? If you're applying for 2014 entry, it's likely some/all of the courses you are interested in will already be filled.

I haven't but i checked out what's on Ucas extra checker or something like that and my chosen courses were still available :smile: I don't think media ones are as high in demand unless you're in Westminster, ravensbourne or Bournemouth.

Thanks for the info about Southampton I just love the cute seaside towns! Like Brighton and Hastings :smile: oh yeah visited Brighton lots of times and Portsmouth once a few years ago as for Southampton and Bristol they're the only two I haven't visited but I have heard very good things about them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by carnationlilyrose
In addition, there is the issue of the reference to be considered.

I have a reference and he's a nice guy who said he'd give me a good one and include how I filmed for Uni and him (he works at the Uni and semi teaches some of my lectures) and also how I helped other students with their own paid work etc :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a reference and he's a nice guy who said he'd give me a good one and include how I filmed for Uni and him (he works at the Uni and semi teaches some of my lectures) and also how I helped other students with their own paid work etc :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good.
I haven't but i checked out what's on Ucas extra checker or something like that and my chosen courses were still available :smile: I don't think media ones are as high in demand unless you're in Westminster, ravensbourne or Bournemouth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately, some universities are really lasy about taking filled courses out of Extra, so it might be worth contacting the univesities directly and confirming they have places available still.

Good luck with your application though.
Reply 19
Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated. Included a link my show-reel and photography portfolio in the personal statement and it's been sent so all I can do is hope for the best now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending