The Student Room Group

Am I aiming too high?

I applied to 5 universities and received 5 offers but I feel like I'm aiming too high with my firm choice: Exeter AAA. Those are my predicted grades, but it's very unlikely, almost impossible in fact, that I'm going to get an A in art, because of the anxiety and depression I was affected with last year that damaged my performance. I got a B overall at AS and my A2 coursework comes in at a B. I'm on track for an A in English literature and Classical Civilisation, and there's even an opportunity for A*s in both, considering I'm retaking both AS exams and have achieved an A in the English coursework re-take (I decided at the end of last year to re-take everything). But the main problem is art. I don't think Exeter will be very lenient if I don't get AAA but I wonder if they would let me in if I somehow miraculously got A*A*B since the A*s would be in both subjects relevant to the course (English literature with Classical studies). I just wanted a second opinion on whether I should go for the A*s or settle for my insurance choice: ABB.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I recall Exeter sending me and a year mate a mail merged email about those sort of situation. They said something like they would accept equivalent grades. So for my course, it was AAA but they said they will accept students who offer A*AB / A*A*C etc.

You'll be fine.
Original post by rebeccapally
I applied to 5 universities and received 5 offers but I feel like I'm aiming too high with my firm choice: Exeter AAA. Those are my predicted grades, but it's very unlikely, almost impossible in fact, that I'm going to get an A in art, because of the anxiety and depression I was affected with last year that damaged my performance. I got a B overall at AS and my A2 coursework comes in at a B. I'm on track for an A in English literature and Classical Civilisation, and there's even an opportunity for A*s in both, considering I'm retaking both AS exams and have achieved an A in the English coursework re-take (I decided at the end of last year to re-take everything). But the main problem is art. I don't think Exeter will be very lenient if I don't get AAA but I wonder if they would let me in if I somehow miraculously got A*A*B since the A*s would be in both subjects relevant to the course (English literature with Classical studies). I just wanted a second opinion on whether I should go for the A*s or settle for my insurance choice: ABB.

Yes they would be lenient, it's Exeter, trust me. If you got A*A*B they would take you instead of AAA BUT getting two A*s is not easy.. At all.
If you have anxiety and depression then you should be able to get a doctors note which might be accepted as an 'excuse' for you slipping one grade in Art.
Oh thank god. I did think I'd come across an 'equivalent grades' section on their horribly confusing website but I couldn't remember what it said so thanks. :smile:
Original post by Melon girl
Yes they would be lenient, it's Exeter, trust me. If you got A*A*B they would take you instead of AAA BUT getting two A*s is not easy.. At all.

Oh gosh yes I know it's extremely difficult, I don't know if I have it in me. All I know is that I'm doing well in English and Classical Civilisation at the moment, I got full marks in my A2 lit coursework and did a past paper the other day and got 36/40 (but I know exactly where I went wrong and how to improve). I think if I can stay consistent I have a fair chance of getting an A* in English. But I'll have to wait and see! :confused:
Give admissions a ring and ask how lenient they would be, especially since your depression would've been a contributing factor to your slip in performance.
Original post by flyyoufools
If you have anxiety and depression then you should be able to get a doctors note which might be accepted as an 'excuse' for you slipping one grade in Art.

I may have to look into that, thanks for the suggestion.
Original post by Frank the Tankk
Give admissions a ring and ask how lenient they would be, especially since your depression would've been a contributing factor to your slip in performance.

On results day you mean?
I may have to look into that, thanks for the suggestion.

Such a request for consideration would have to be processed via your exams officer. Be prepared for it to count for very little, though.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Such a request for consideration would have to be processed via your exams officer. Be prepared for it to count for very little, though.

Yes I don't expect it will amount to much, I'll try anything though.
On results day you mean?

Im not sure, maybe now? Just say you're worried you might not get an A because of the coursework you did last year whilst you were having trouble and you'd like some advice
Original post by Frank the Tankk
Im not sure, maybe now? Just say you're worried you might not get an A because of the coursework you did last year whilst you were having trouble and you'd like some advice

Yes, I'll talk to my art teacher tomorrow and see if she thinks it's worth contacting my exams officer or Exeter Admissions office.
Yes, I'll talk to my art teacher tomorrow and see if she thinks it's worth contacting my exams officer or Exeter Admissions office.

Any request must come from your school not you. I am sure you can imagine how much credence they will give to someone calling about themselves and giving reasons for their poor performance.

Just on another topic, how long did you revise for Classical Civilisation since it is mostly fact based at AS? I find it incredibly easy to remember the subject knowledge and I think I should be able to revise all of it in a week and a half for Cicero. Do you think I can get an A? And no, I haven't left all my subjects till last minute, I've been revising my other three, much harder subjects for 9 weeks now, it's just that I think this subject is not that hard and so I planned to leave it till now. Thanks :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jjmichaeljadson
Just on another topic, how long did you revise for Classical Civilisation since it is mostly fact based at AS? I find it incredibly easy to remember the subject knowledge and I think I should be able to revise all of it in a week and a half for Cicero. Do you think I can get an A? And no, I haven't left all my subjects till last minute, I've been revising my other three, much harder subjects for 9 weeks now, it's just that I think this subject is not that hard and so I planned to leave it till now. Thanks :smile:

I did the Cicero exam too, last year :smile:
I got an A in it, and I revised from the middle of December to January. But that's just how I revise, it might be different for you. I wouldn't worry, if you don't struggle with the subject and feel like you know your stuff, then you should be fine to just cram in the week leading up. But make sure you do leave yourself a week. I don't know if this will apply to your Cicero exam, because I don't know what kind of question you're doing, but I read 'Imperium' by Robert Harris as a way to engage more with Cicero as a character. The book was recommended by my teacher and it just made Cicero's life seem more real and interesting to me and it gave me more enthusiasm when revising, because I actually felt interested. It covers his important Verres case in detail which helped me to write about it in the exam, so it's really worth a read if it's relevant to your exam. It's just a nice alternative to dull black and white textbooks and powerpoints. Obviously don't treat it as fact though.
So yes, I do think you can get an A, as long as you have a wide breadth of knowledge, can write a decent essay and know what the examiner is looking for in the exam.
Good luck with it :biggrin:
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Any request must come from your school not you. I am sure you can imagine how much credence they will give to someone calling about themselves and giving reasons for their poor performance.

Yes absolutely
I did the Cicero exam too, last year :smile:
I got an A in it, and I revised from the middle of December to January. But that's just how I revise, it might be different for you. I wouldn't worry, if you don't struggle with the subject and feel like you know your stuff, then you should be fine to just cram in the week leading up. But make sure you do leave yourself a week. I don't know if this will apply to your Cicero exam, because I don't know what kind of question you're doing, but I read 'Imperium' by Robert Harris as a way to engage more with Cicero as a character. The book was recommended by my teacher and it just made Cicero's life seem more real and interesting to me and it gave me more enthusiasm when revising, because I actually felt interested. It covers his important Verres case in detail which helped me to write about it in the exam, so it's really worth a read if it's relevant to your exam. It's just a nice alternative to dull black and white textbooks and powerpoints. Obviously don't treat it as fact though.
So yes, I do think you can get an A, as long as you have a wide breadth of knowledge, can write a decent essay and know what the examiner is looking for in the exam.
Good luck with it :biggrin:

Thanks alot! Is 'Imperium' a short book or how long is it? Because if it can be read in about 4/5 days then I'll definitely give it a read so that I can write with confidence, my essay writing is already pretty good. After my Cicero I'll only have my Roman Architecture exam left, giving me 2 weeks at home to revise that fully and hopefully get an A. Do you have any tips for that exam? Also, my teacher still hasn't gone through how exactly to do the 10 and 20 mark essay, do you mind helping me please? :smile:
Original post by jjmichaeljadson
Thanks alot! Is 'Imperium' a short book or how long is it? Because if it can be read in about 4/5 days then I'll definitely give it a read so that I can write with confidence, my essay writing is already pretty good. After my Cicero I'll only have my Roman Architecture exam left, giving me 2 weeks at home to revise that fully and hopefully get an A. Do you have any tips for that exam? Also, my teacher still hasn't gone through how exactly to do the 10 and 20 mark essay, do you mind helping me please? :smile:

So sorry for the late reply, I had my first exam this week so tried to stay off the internet.
I don't know if you've already had your Cicero exam yet...
'Imperium' isn't short, but if the Verres case is likely to come up in your exam then that's a good chapter to read. Of course it might not be worth buying it just to read that section, but you might have it in your colleges/sixth form library. Don't panic if you don't manage to get hold of it though, it helped me, but it's not like you won't get an A without it, and it sounds like you have a good knowledge of Cicero already.
As for the Roman Architecture exam, does that concern Augustus' building plan, or is it a different exam? Because I can only help you with the former, but I'd be happy to. :smile:
So sorry for the late reply, I had my first exam this week so tried to stay off the internet.
I don't know if you've already had your Cicero exam yet...
'Imperium' isn't short, but if the Verres case is likely to come up in your exam then that's a good chapter to read. Of course it might not be worth buying it just to read that section, but you might have it in your colleges/sixth form library. Don't panic if you don't manage to get hold of it though, it helped me, but it's not like you won't get an A without it, and it sounds like you have a good knowledge of Cicero already.
As for the Roman Architecture exam, does that concern Augustus' building plan, or is it a different exam? Because I can only help you with the former, but I'd be happy to. :smile:

Oh okay, my exam is on wednesday so I'll try finishing the course asap. I'm dreading it because I still have a lot of things to cover, and very little time (I still have 60-40bc left to cover! :s). Tbh I'm just going to try get a very high B, or a low A, so that I can fully revise the second unit (we're doing Roman architecture in general, like Pompeii, Rome and Ostia) and get a high A. I asked another question on your other forum, can you reply to that please? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest