The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I know but I can't just give up on the question. I have to have a little bash at it :smile:
Original post by fliss1992
Here I have a question..

______ = 1

x^2 - 9 (...)

I will explain you the steps to help you to solve this task. Pay attention!

72x29=1\displaystyle \dfrac{72}{x^2 - 9} = 1

- 9 is the denominator of the term on the left side. That's why you have to multiply the equation by the denominator, so the denominator 'disappears' on the left side. You get:

72=x29\displaystyle 72 = x^2 - 9 .

-9 is is the subtrahend on the right side of the equation. You have to add the equation by 9, if -9 should dissapear on the right side. You get:

81=x2\displaystyle 81 = x^2 .

And now you take the root to get your result. It is x = 9.

Put x = 9 in your equation to check your result:

72929=72819=7272=1\displaystyle \dfrac{72}{9^2 - 9} = \dfrac{72}{81 - 9} = \dfrac{72}{72} = 1

As you can see, the result is right. Any questions?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 62
I know but I can't just give up on the question. I have to have a little bash at it :smile:

I think MrM is suggesting that you need to get the basics in place before you tackle more advanced questions that depend on basic skills.

But just for information, when you have a problem like this where several operations take place, you have to reverse them in the correct order.

Your original problem is basically 72/something = 1. So what would you do to find "something"?
Reply 63
Original post by davros
I think MrM is suggesting that you need to get the basics in place before you tackle more advanced questions that depend on basic skills.

But just for information, when you have a problem like this where several operations take place, you have to reverse them in the correct order.

Your original problem is basically 72/something = 1. So what would you do to find "something"?

1 multiplied by 72?
Reply 64
1 multiplied by 72?

Not quite (although you do get the correct answer because 1 is a special number!)

You need to multiply both sides by "something" to get 72 = "something" x 1

And what is any number multiplied by 1?
(edited 9 years ago)
72 multiplied by 9? 648

Or am I looking at the wrong calculation?

Out of curiosity, if someone said "6 divided by something is 2, what is the something?", would you be able to work it out?
Reply 66
the 'something' would be 3
Original post by Mr M
Thanks for the explanation. I feel much better informed now.

And thanks for the sarcastic remark- a lot easier than making meaningful conversation, i'd imagine.
Reply 68
Original post by Toastyy
I live very close to langley grammar school , slough grammar school (my school) , and other grammer schools , sorry o.e

hey i was wondering which school u went to. i got an offer from langley grammar for sixth form and wanted to know about it
(edited 1 year ago)
Thanks for explaining it. Some of us adults never got taught this stuff, nor have needed it. The daft folks decided to make algebra 30% of the pass mark.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Kallisto
I will explain you the steps to help you to solve this task. Pay attention!

72x29=1\displaystyle \dfrac{72}{x^2 - 9} = 1

- 9 is the denominator of the term on the left side. That's why you have to multiply the equation by the denominator, so the denominator 'disappears' on the left side. You get:

72=x29\displaystyle 72 = x^2 - 9 .

-9 is is the subtrahend on the right side of the equation. You have to add the equation by 9, if -9 should dissapear on the right side. You get:

81=x2\displaystyle 81 = x^2 .

And now you take the root to get your result. It is x = 9.

Put x = 9 in your equation to check your result:

72929=72819=7272=1\displaystyle \dfrac{72}{9^2 - 9} = \dfrac{72}{81 - 9} = \dfrac{72}{72} = 1

As you can see, the result is right. Any questions?

Thanks. The X^2 -9 denominator would have put me into a panic attack. It’s easy when one knows how. 😃
(edited 1 year ago)

Latest