The Student Room Group

Why is Britain richer than other countries?

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

PC people will say colonialism, but then this is no different to most of Europe.

I'd say it's because we were the first to industralise originally, but today it's because we have a high living standard, are well educated, and have high productivity and wages.
Colonialism.
Very intelligent people, since the island is quite known for its inventions such as the steam engine etc.
Original post by carlisomes
PC people will say colonialism, but then this is no different to most of Europe.

I'd say it's because we were the first to industralise originally, but today it's because we have a high living standard, are well educated, and have high productivity and wages.

Original post by harry_007
Colonialism.

In part, it is colonialism, yes, but another, is because we had the industrial revolution, giving us a hue boost when other empires started to decline, and falter

The financial sector has always been pretty strong here (Which is where most of our money comes from), and we're pretty good at opening trade overseas

We've also been to war for things like tea, which I find really funny. of course, it's not funny that people have died for tea, but going to war for tea tickles me a little
Reply 5
Cause they jumped over to other countries and nicked all their stuff.
Western European and in particular the Anglophone culture.
Original post by de_monies
In part, it is colonialism, yes, but another, is because we had the industrial revolution, giving us a hue boost when other empires started to decline, and falter

The financial sector has always been pretty strong here (Which is where most of our money comes from), and we're pretty good at opening trade overseas

We've also been to war for things like tea, which I find really funny. of course, it's not funny that people have died for tea, but going to war for tea tickles me a little

Slavery helped the revolution. UK has no oil like Qatar.
Slavery helped the revolution. UK has no oil like Qatar.

This is true, but there's that little thing we had, called the empire as well

Well, we technically do I guess. The UAE also has barely any oil. Oil in itself doesn't make a country rich
Reply 9
Because of business innovation and industry, but also because of the robust financial sector over the past couple of decades. The economy moved from industry to service to ensure the best for the economy. Unfortunately, social problems came with this.
Reply 10
In the words of Frankie Boyle,

"Gun beat spear".
This is true, but there's that little thing we had, called the empire as well

Well, we technically do I guess. The UAE also has barely any oil. Oil in itself doesn't make a country rich

What do up mean barely any oil and of course it does if coupled with a government that cares for its country.
What do up mean barely any oil and of course it does if coupled with a government that cares for its country.

By that I mean, we probably have more oil than the UAE does

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/8382275.stm

Im saying that you don't need oil to be rich. The UAE is a good example of that - albeit, the living conditions aren't great for x percentage of people...
By that I mean, we probably have more oil than the UAE does

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/8382275.stm

Im saying that you don't need oil to be rich. The UAE is a good example of that - albeit, the living conditions aren't great for x percentage of people...

indeed, look at Venezuela...

To OP - Define rich for me, what kind of rich? middle class, gdp, stock or currency wise?
(edited 9 years ago)
Colonialism.

I guess. But the UK in the 18th and 19th centuries was more stable than Europe (bar Bonny Prince Charlie before anybody says anything...)
Reply 15
TAX
Reply 16
Original post by Pindar
Thoughts?

In what aspect is Britain richer than other countries?
Original post by Pindar
Thoughts?

From 1700-1900 it was simply down to colonialism (gunboat diplomacy) and the industrial revolution.

Since WW2 the reasons for our success are largely the reasons for everybody else's success. We avoided falling to the command control economies that ruined rich countries like Cuba, we've opposed historical corruption and upheld the rule of law ensuring we're relatively well managed and attractive to business and we've also maintained a financial niche. Indeed we are now pushing forward in areas including engineering and IT.
Original post by 1001Shab
In what aspect is Britain richer than other countries?

Per capita. Nominal GDP. Average wages.

You can't honestly think we're poor.
Reply 19
Original post by Rakas21
Per capita. Nominal GDP. Average wages.

You can't honestly think we're poor.

Britain is not poor, but there are countries in East that are much richer than Britain on its own.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending