The Student Room Group

Why do you [not] buy Apple?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by miser
I'm not a fan of Apple and I never liked Steve Jobs very much, but I do like iPhone and iPod. I bought an iPhone 1 when I needed a phone for uni and I needed a new iPod as well, and it just looked neat. Then, last year it broke so I bought an iPhone 5. I really enjoy using it and it seems like the nicest phone around. The downside is the price, but I'd been using an iPhone 1 for the past 4 years so I decided I would go for it.

I don't like Macs very much - nothing about Macs appeal to me except their outward design. I don't like iTunes and use it begrudgingly.

there was no iPhone 1, it started on the iPhone 2g I believe

Is there any chance you still have it and would consider selling it?
Reply 61
Original post by itsn0b0dy
there was no iPhone 1, it started on the iPhone 2g I believe

Is there any chance you still have it and would consider selling it?

1st generation iPhone.

I do still have it but it's got 4 and a half years' worth of use. It broke when it fell into a glass of whisky, but started working again after I'd bought my new phone. :rolleyes:
Original post by itsn0b0dy
exactly, but for real consumers that don't want raw power at the lowest cost (and have other things they want from a computer, e.g. aesthetics) Apple is good way to go.

Yes, but here are mainly students, some of whom may one day require CPU-demanding softwares, e.g. PS, CAD
Is that only my PC or does the title actually change to something about webcam?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The nameless one

Changed back again
Firstly I woud not buy an Apple PC as Windows is better for gaming. I also like to be able to tinker around with my pc. For everyting else like phone etc Apple products are to expensive.
Grossly overpriced, overly simple interface that assume everyone who uses it is an idiot with no inclination to change anything themselves (eg, can't take the back off an iPhone, can't drag and drop music onto an ipod). Also apple products are only compatible with other apple products. There would be no point in me buying an iPhone or an ipod.
Reply 67
I don't consider myself an Apple fanboy or anything but I do get a bit annoyed at people who constantly bash Apple about everything. I also help that Microsoft as a company are terrible and have yet to bring out anything good or innovative since XP. Apple haven't done much in recent years but I like them better as a company.

I have a 13" MacBook Pro as I felt it was better than any other laptop that I'd need for uni. Windows 8 is terrible and I love that on Macs, everything just works. People say that this is only for people who are technophobes or whatever but its really nice that its simple and works. Whether its reasonably priced is debateable but I also wonder why no other laptop I've seen has a trackpad anywhere as good as the on on Apple laptops. The main downside though is gaming but my parents have got a desktop running Windows 7 at home which I can use for PC gaming though I'm primarily a console gamer. Also having a gaming PC at uni would be rather dangerous.

iPhones are not such a great thing though. I don't need my phone to do much more than call, text, use maps and occasionally access the internet plus having a GBA emulator is a nice touch :tongue: I get all of this and more for cheaper out of my HTC One Mini. I also hate this trend of phones getting bigger to the point where they are basically small tablets. I got the Mini because the normal One was too big for me. Android is also as easy to use as iOS.

My 4th gen iPod touch is not so great though. The battery is crap now. When I got it, the battery would last about 2 weeks if I only used it for music but now I'm lucky if I get 2 days out of it. Theres also lots of apps that it struggles to run since I find that developers tend to give preference for updates to iOS if its cross-platform and my phone runs this stuff so much better. When it dies, I feel I will get some kind of simpler iPod that is has a good battery.

I don't really care about anything else but my dad has an iPad 2 which he loves because he is useless with technology like my mum who just bought a new Kindle Fire and the general consensus is that iPads are considerably better despite the massive price gap.
I have an ipod because other mp3 players don't work too well. Would never get a mac though. They're quite nice but overpriced and kinda boring.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Grossly overpriced, overly simple interface that assume everyone who uses it is an idiot with no inclination to change anything themselves (eg, can't take the back off an iPhone, can't drag and drop music onto an ipod). Also apple products are only compatible with other apple products. There would be no point in me buying an iPhone or an ipod.

"Grossly overpriced" Wrong. Overpriced? I think you mean that you cannot afford it, there is a difference.

"can't take the back off an iPhone, can't drag and drop music onto an ipod" Wrong. I could take the back off my iPhone right now, and anyway, why would anyone need to take the back off?

"Also apple products are only compatible with other apple products." Wrong, I used to have a windows laptop which was compatible with all my apple devices.
very expensive and dont want to be seen as one of those people who just buys apple products
I like variety. Most of my American friends have iPhones and immediately get the new version as soon as it comes out. Isn't it awkward, having the same phone as 90% of your friends? Don't you ever want to be a bit original? I have a Nexus 4, cost me $300, and it is amazing - can't imagine an iPhone would ever be so cheap.
Also, Apple products seem to be .. Too user-friendly. I like to dig around and adjust stuff, which I never managed to do on an iPad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i have an iphone 4S but i wouldn't if my brother hadn't sold it to me for like £200? 90% sure he stole it but nvm

i would never buy a mac because my boyfriend has one and i just don't like them - i like to be rough with my stuff , and i'm pretty clumsy , so that fragile little book width laptop isn't going to cut it. also , £900?! how about no , it'll only last three years before i'll need another/smash it

we have apple TV and i like that for netflix , otherwise idk what people use it for hahaha

idk , i like apple but if i had to buy it i wouldn't - i'd go for another phone/laptop/anything , i just think they think they're better than they are
I've got a Macbook Pro that will be 5 years old in October and the only thing wrong with it is that the battery doesn't last as long as it once did (easy enough to fix yourself if I had money to buy a new battery). When I see my friends that have laptops younger or the same age as mine, they're falling apart and crashing all the time. Simply for that reason I think the price is justified, they're bloody sturdy things. I've dropped mine and it's been bashed against things more than a few times but as I said, everything's fine except the battery. Hopefully this one will last another few years and when it does eventually give up I'll probably buy another Pro, wouldn't trust myself with an Air.

I've had an iPhone for just over a year and I've never had a problem with it. Got it on contract and it's no more expensive than anything else I'd be interested in.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The nameless one

That's just a bug that's recently appeared
Reply 75
I have an iPhone bc it looks good and is smooth. I prefer my 5 over my moms S5 cos the screen is too big and on the 5 it is a reasonable size and you don't have to fiddle with your pocket to try and take it out.
I don't consider myself an Apple fanboy or anything but I do get a bit annoyed at people who constantly bash Apple about everything. I also help that Microsoft as a company are terrible and have yet to bring out anything good or innovative since XP. Apple haven't done much in recent years but I like them better as a company.
So windows 8, i.e., unifying the OSes and optimising for touch screen use isn't innovative

I have a 13" MacBook Pro as I felt it was better than any other laptop that I'd need for uni. Windows 8 is terrible and I love that on Macs, everything just works. People say that this is only for people who are technophobes or whatever but its really nice that its simple and works. Whether its reasonably priced is debateable but I also wonder why no other laptop I've seen has a trackpad anywhere as good as the on on Apple laptops. The main downside though is gaming but my parents have got a desktop running Windows 7 at home which I can use for PC gaming though I'm primarily a console gamer. Also having a gaming PC at uni would be rather dangerous.

Personally, I wouldn't say a bad trackpad is that much of an issue as long as it works reasonably well, most of the time most people I know either use a USB mouse or don't even need the trackpad.
Reply 77
Original post by Jammy Duel
So windows 8, i.e., unifying the OSes and optimising for touch screen use isn't innovative

Personally, I wouldn't say a bad trackpad is that much of an issue as long as it works reasonably well, most of the time most people I know either use a USB mouse or don't even need the trackpad.

Fair enough that nobody else has done it but there's probably a reason for that :tongue: Its the level of difference between trackpads that gets me. If I try and use one on a windows computer, I just get annoyed at it because its nowhere near as good as the one on my mac. USB mouses are fine and probably better for playing certain games but apart from that I've never had a need for one as the trackpad is great.
Original post by qno2
Fair enough that nobody else has done it but there's probably a reason for that :tongue: Its the level of difference between trackpads that gets me. If I try and use one on a windows computer, I just get annoyed at it because its nowhere near as good as the one on my mac. USB mouses are fine and probably better for playing certain games but apart from that I've never had a need for one as the trackpad is great.

I think the main reason nobody did it before is that there haven't been any other major OS updates since touch screen computers started to take off. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next few years macs get touch screen capabilities and a new OS optimised for it. Like the xbone it was a risk Microsoft was willing to take, imo the were both good. I can't say I liked Windows 8 much, but since using it it really isn't as bad as people make out, you don't even need to go anywhere near metro, which I don't think people actually realise. I actually think it is better than windows 7, it may have its quirks but the benefits outweigh them.
In terms of desktops/macbooks, you buy APPLE if you want something that WORKS without problems unlike most windows machines which give you trouble even after a few months.

If your work relies on windows you can always use VMware/install windows 8 on your mac.

However yes they are overpriced, that being said at least you'll be buying into something stylish, (RELIABLE!!) and which may hold its resale value much better than others.

That being said i'm still a windows king of guy, just bought the surface pro 2, kind of regretting not going for the quadcore macbook pro. Windows 8/8.1 just has too many bugs, heck the keyboard doesn't even work properly and drives me insane at times!

To this day I can't understand how Microsoft can justift that after 14 years of windows they are still faulty as ****! It's insane.

If you're a programmer or can afford it definitely go mac. With regards to iphone.......i hate them period.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending