The Student Room Group

What is the route into teaching?

First of all, I am currently in y13 doing my A Levels going to uni next year. I have 9 GCSE's at a good level including two english GCSE and maths. I am expecting to receive 3a's at a level but maybe I will achieve an a*. I am going to university to do a business and human resources degree but this can be changed after the first year to another business related course.

I am unsure about my future but since I was little I have wanted to be a teacher and during my two a level years I have wanted to teach business at a secondary school, but this has been one of my options. I am very patient, sensitive, organised, dedicated and I give my maximum effort into everything. I have been told by my teachers that I would be a good teacher and a lot of them ask me if I am going to become one.

Can anyone give me the route to teaching? I know there's google for this but I would prefer to have it correctly explained. What do I need to do to become a teacher? Thank you in advance!!
Original post by digbee
First of all, I am currently in y13 doing my A Levels going to uni next year. I have 9 GCSE's at a good level including two english GCSE and maths. I am expecting to receive 3a's at a level but maybe I will achieve an a*. I am going to university to do a business and human resources degree but this can be changed after the first year to another business related course.

I am unsure about my future but since I was little I have wanted to be a teacher and during my two a level years I have wanted to teach business at a secondary school, but this has been one of my options. I am very patient, sensitive, organised, dedicated and I give my maximum effort into everything. I have been told by my teachers that I would be a good teacher and a lot of them ask me if I am going to become one.

Can anyone give me the route to teaching? I know there's google for this but I would prefer to have it correctly explained. What do I need to do to become a teacher? Thank you in advance!!

I am assuming you want to be a secondary teacher so this advice is tailored to that. You do a year long course after your have finished your degree. You have several routes to choose from, although wanting to teach business might limit this. The routes are:
SCITT (school centred initial teacher training)
Schools Direct (you're based in one school and they train you)
Both of the above routes have a second placement in another school for about 6 weeks.
PGCE (university based course, with two placements in schools)
And there is also Teach First, which is very different to the other routes. You get 6 weeks training and then are sent to a underachieving school to teach for two years.

Business is not in high demand as a GCSE subject however, and you may find it difficult to get a place on pgce because they have little places for your subject. When job hunting, you will need to be prepared to move to get a job, as there aren't many business teachers jobs around these days. Each schools needs one, or two maximum and that's if they even offer business as an option.
Not saying don't do it, just giving you it straight :smile: Any more questions, feel free to ask.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by digbee

There are several routes. The most common would be to take a degree then take a one year Post Graduate Certificate in Education - this involves some university work and placements in school. You then need to find a job and complete a one year induction programme as a Newly Qualified Teacher. A word of warning - Business Studies teaching jobs may be difficult to attain in the future as the Government does not value this subject and barely recognises it in the new Performance Tables for schools.
Reply 3
Okay guys thanks very much for your honest advice. Its not my definite decision just one of my thoughts, I think I will wait till the end of my degree to work out whether or not it is a good idea. Thanks for your very thorough information!!
Reply 4
If you manage to get onto PGCE be prepared to sell your soul and have a bucket for your tears due to the workload

Also you're from Donny, poor you :console:

:colone:
Reply 5
Original post by Oats
If you manage to get onto PGCE be prepared to sell your soul and have a bucket for your tears due to the workload

Also you're from Donny, poor you :console:

:colone:

Hahahaha thanks for the warning. Unfortunately I am but I would hope that I would not be a teacher around this area!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending