The Student Room Group

Edexcel French GCSE Listening and Reading 2014

Opinions on the exam?

Personally I found the reading paper really easy but the listening was a different story! It was nightmare and far harder than any of the others on the Edexcel website (I've done them all).

What did you think? May the grade boundaries be forever in our favour!

Scroll to see replies

I feel like I'm the opposite :/ I found the listening quite easy but the reading.. fml. Did you do higher or foundation?
Reply 2
I found the listening really hard. The reading wasn't as bad but still challenging. I did Higher. Did anyone take down what answers they got or have an unofficial markscheme yet?
Reply 3
Original post by Nothematic
I feel like I'm the opposite :/ I found the listening quite easy but the reading.. fml. Did you do higher or foundation?

Higher :smile: That holidays question on the listening was complete guesswork on my part...
Original post by Bambi30
I found the listening really hard. The reading wasn't as bad but still challenging. I did Higher. Did anyone take down what answers they got or have an unofficial markscheme yet?

I can remember some of the questions but I don't think we're allowed to go into specifics until midnight.
I found them both quite hard (higher). The listening more so than the reading though! :s-smilie:

I also can't remember if I wrote down my candidate number :ashamed:
Reply 6
Original post by Nothematic
I can remember some of the questions but I don't think we're allowed to go into specifics until midnight.
ah alright. I'll check back again tomorrow then.
Reply 7
I thought they both went okay. A couple of phrases in the reading I didn't know though;

'Il me lançait du coup au pied sous le table' or something similar? I forget the exact phrasing but I put he kicked him under the table as a guess.

This one I really can't remember..à la fas or something similar in the final question when referring to what the guy wanted to do in the future? Saying how his friend wanted to go abroad/move to another region whereas 'j'ai bien décidé' and then that phrase. Any ideas?

That listening 8 marker early on was so irritating too..no time to write your answers haha.
Reading= F*ck
Listening= double f*ck
Reply 9
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/announcement.php?f=85&a=629
According to this we can go into specifics at 4:30.... so around about now!
Original post by iz24
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/announcement.php?f=85&a=629
According to this we can go into specifics at 4:30.... so around about now!

For afternoon exams, please wait until 4:30 am (UK time).

Hmm.. might need to get an admin to clarify.
Reply 11
Original post by Fudge2
I thought they both went okay. A couple of phrases in the reading I didn't know though;

'Il me lançait du coup au pied sous le table' or something similar? I forget the exact phrasing but I put he kicked him under the table as a guess.

This one I really can't remember..à la fas or something similar in the final question when referring to what the guy wanted to do in the future? Saying how his friend wanted to go abroad/move to another region whereas 'j'ai bien décidé' and then that phrase. Any ideas?

That listening 8 marker early on was so irritating too..no time to write your answers haha.

Even I thought he kicked the guy under the table, what did you write for what was important for him that the tutor did?
There was something like 'je me sens beaucoup a l'aise mon college,' I didn't get that bit.
And in the bit about the girl going to germany, did she say at first when she got to Germany she was insecure?
Reply 12
Original post by Fudge2

Yeah, I put coup au pied as that as well - I'd seen that phrase before (luckily)

I put continue to study because I knew it wasn't the others

J'ai bien décidé means along the lines of 'I have already decided'... he was saying he wanted to stay in the village and help others through charity work

With the 8 marker... same. Absolutely no clue with the last two especially. She found it difficult to talk to the teacher? That's what I put... probably wrong
Reply 13
@hafsa998 I went with the tutor made him better at french and I think that means 'i feel more at ease at school'? That's what I went with.

@danieljames975 Well that's good haha. Absolute guess.

@iz24 Yeah I did go with continue to study but I was just intrigued as to what the phrase actually meant. With the listening yeah I went with something along those lines but not really confident. Was surprisingly pleased with the last question in the listening though. They're normally pretty horrible.
Reply 14
Original post by iz24
Opinions on the exam?

Personally I found the reading paper really easy but the listening was a different story! It was nightmare and far harder than any of the others on the Edexcel website (I've done them all).

What did you think? May the grade boundaries be forever in our favour!

Opposite for me. Question about class representative on listening was hard tho
Reply 15
Original post by Fudge2
@hafsa998 I went with the tutor made him better at french and I think that means 'i feel more at ease at school'? That's what I went with.

@danieljames975 Well that's good haha. Absolute guess.

@iz24 Yeah I did go with continue to study but I was just intrigued as to what the phrase actually meant. With the listening yeah I went with something along those lines but not really confident. Was surprisingly pleased with the last question in the listening though. They're normally pretty horrible.

The last questions are usually the 'answers in English' ones - and the answer in English one are usually in two parts! Completely threw me when I realised I had to listen out for the entire thing..
Reply 16
Original post by JAIYEKO
Opposite for me. Question about class representative on listening was hard tho

What did you get for the holidays one:
- what does he do usually?
- where did he go last year?
- what does he prefer to do?

Got to the end of the first listening and realised I hadn't written anything down... guessed most of it :s-smilie:
Reply 17
Original post by iz24
The last questions are usually the 'answers in English' ones - and the answer in English one are usually in two parts! Completely threw me when I realised I had to listen out for the entire thing..

Ah yeah that's probably why..I think the class representative one must have been like the normal question at the end.
Reply 18
Grade boundaries will be nothing less than 32+/40 for an a* on both papers
omg I'm zoo happy so many feel the same as mer
the listening was soooo difficult!!!!
i think the reading was really good actually
the one where it said a la fac means university.. i was going to put another place in france but then i thought the place would need a capital letter so i guessed fac !
do any of you guys remember for the last listening if you wrote that he was influenced by his friends or he does not smoke

Quick Reply

Latest