The Student Room Group

AQA ELLA 1 & 2 revision!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by praiseob
I'm not really sure about how I would go about that either...I've being trying to brainstorm a few ways..I don't know if Blanche should be sober or not, if she would say it in the same manner she told Mitch about her husband or how she told Stella about belle reeve? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think she would probably be drunk, to escape the reality of what has just happened to her. I would use lots of nervous hesitancy and exclamatory sentences, so sort of a combination of how she told Mitch and Stella. Probably use a euphemism for what happened as Blanche would try to avoid reliving the trauma
Reply 21
Original post by apatel31
I think she would probably be drunk, to escape the reality of what has just happened to her. I would use lots of nervous hesitancy and exclamatory sentences, so sort of a combination of how she told Mitch and Stella. Probably use a euphemism for what happened as Blanche would try to avoid reliving the trauma

That sounds really good! I just hope the one we do get isn't too difficult. I'm really hoping to get at least 30/45, I've also thought about them asking to write a diary entry from Blanche after key scenes like 1 or 9 etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
That sounds really good! I just hope the one we do get isn't too difficult. I'm really hoping to get at least 30/45, I've also thought about them asking to write a diary entry from Blanche after key scenes like 1 or 9 etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know what the grade boundaries are, like how many marks out of 45 are needed for an A, B, C etc? My teacher never gives a mark, only a grade.
Reply 23
Do you know what the grade boundaries are, like how many marks out of 45 are needed for an A, B, C etc? My teacher never gives a mark, only a grade.

I don't know individual grade boundaries for each section, and the grade boundaries do fluctuate each year dependent on how everyone does but last year with both section A and B you needed 50/75 for an A in Ella 1 and 47/75 for an A in Ella 2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
I don't know individual grade boundaries for each section, and the grade boundaries do fluctuate each year dependent on how everyone does but last year with both section A and B you needed 50/75 for an A in Ella 1 and 47/75 for an A in Ella 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh right, I thought you might because you said you were aiming for 30/45. What grade are you aiming for overall?
Reply 25
Ohh right, I thought you might because you said you were aiming for 30/45. What grade are you aiming for overall?

Overall I'm aiming for an A as I'm retaking as I got a C last year? Yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
I'm really hoping for an A/B. Sitting the exam for the first time so I'm panicking! Did you get any feedback on what let you down last year?
Reply 27
I'm really hoping for an A/B. Sitting the exam for the first time so I'm panicking! Did you get any feedback on what let you down last year?

I got the breakdown of the scores for Ella 1, an I got 16/30 in section A and 26/45 in B. I knew what let me down, I didn't work as hard as I should have, reading the novel for section A, a week before the exam and not knowing much key terms, I had no framework as well and was lucky to get those scores I thought but I'm changed, and I've been working as hard as I could so hopefully things are better. Don't panic, as long as you know what to do to get the marks you'll be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
I got the breakdown of the scores for Ella 1, an I got 16/30 in section A and 26/45 in B. I knew what let me down, I didn't work as hard as I should have, reading the novel for section A, a week before the exam and not knowing much key terms, I had no framework as well and was lucky to get those scores I thought but I'm changed, and I've been working as hard as I could so hopefully things are better. Don't panic, as long as you know what to do to get the marks you'll be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What sort of framework do you use for section A? My teacher hasn't given us one apart from to aim for 3/4 paragraphs :s

I'm sure you'll ace it this year! Sounds like you've put in a lot of hard work
Reply 29
What sort of framework do you use for section A? My teacher hasn't given us one apart from to aim for 3/4 paragraphs :s

I'm sure you'll ace it this year! Sounds like you've put in a lot of hard work

I've so far planned every question I think will come up for my section, so I know what quotes to use and where to get them lol..my framework is

Introduction: the themes of the novel, how the author highlights these themes in relation to the question, what extracts I will be using to illustrate the question and chapters they are in. (I choose 4 about 4 quotes in total)

Paragraph 1: the author does 'something' to show the question. Inserts quotes. Picks out firstly how narrative viewpoint affects what is said.Then I carried on by stating what type of sentence it is (declarative/imperative/interrogative) and how is affects what is being said, what type of tone is suggested from this.Then I pick out individual words (what types of words they are and what they show). How they affect what's being said and the question. Then I pick out any punctuation, that's in that quote and how is extends what's being said etc. And finish the paragraph with how the author has shown the question through that quote.

Then it repeat for the rest.

I also try and weave in a theme mentioned in the introduction in one of the paragraphs, but doing Jane Eyre makes that easy to do as you can talk about oppression or something in almost everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
I've so far planned every question I think will come up for my section, so I know what quotes to use and where to get them lol..my framework is

Introduction: the themes of the novel, how the author highlights these themes in relation to the question, what extracts I will be using to illustrate the question and chapters they are in. (I choose 4 about 4 quotes in total)

Paragraph 1: the author does 'something' to show the question. Inserts quotes. Picks out firstly how narrative viewpoint affects what is said.Then I carried on by stating what type of sentence it is (declarative/imperative/interrogative) and how is affects what is being said, what type of tone is suggested from this.Then I pick out individual words (what types of words they are and what they show). How they affect what's being said and the question. Then I pick out any punctuation, that's in that quote and how is extends what's being said etc. And finish the paragraph with how the author has shown the question through that quote.

Then it repeat for the rest.

I also try and weave in a theme mentioned in the introduction in one of the paragraphs, but doing Jane Eyre makes that easy to do as you can talk about oppression or something in almost everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh ok, that seems useful, thanks! I've done a few plans, but not really essay question specific as my teacher hasn't really question spotted so I'm just guessing.

Really hoping for a nice production question! A letter from Blanche would be quite nice I think
Reply 31
Ahh ok, that seems useful, thanks! I've done a few plans, but not really essay question specific as my teacher hasn't really question spotted so I'm just guessing.

Really hoping for a nice production question! A letter from Blanche would be quite nice I think

No problem :smile: I really hope so as well, I don't know if that would come up, as a letter from Blanche to Shep Huntleigh has come up in the past but you never know. It would be a nice if it was a letter though definitely but I think I'm more confident with play script form

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
No problem :smile: I really hope so as well, I don't know if that would come up, as a letter from Blanche to Shep Huntleigh has come up in the past but you never know. It would be a nice if it was a letter though definitely but I think I'm more confident with play script form

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know if the scene where Stanley tells Mitch about Blanche's past has come up?
Reply 33
Do you know if the scene where Stanley tells Mitch about Blanche's past has come up?

That hasn't come up but a scene where Stanley talks to Steve sometime between the events in scene 6 and 7 has come up in June 2011. In this conversation Stanley expresses his opinions about Blanche. In the examiners report for that it stated that Stanley would divulge information about blanches past to Steve..so that's pretty similar. But it could still come up. Obviously Mitch's reactions would be different to Steve as he did want to marry Blanche. I've haven't given any thought to that yet thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing measure for measure for Ella 2. I think it will go okay, if Isabella comes up, or the Duke, but dreading Angelo or pretty much anyone else
Reply 35
Original post by nerdynatalie
I'm doing measure for measure for Ella 2. I think it will go okay, if Isabella comes up, or the Duke, but dreading Angelo or pretty much anyone else

Have you remembered certain extracts? If the Duke, Angelo or Isabella came up, which extracts would you use to compare?
Reply 36
My teacher thinks a diary of Blanche is due as it hasn't been for a while, if not a diary she is pretty sure Blanche will come up. But at what point in the play who knows! Hope aqa just don't **** us over really and pull out a horrible question
Reply 37
Original post by OllieeW
My teacher thinks a diary of Blanche is due as it hasn't been for a while, if not a diary she is pretty sure Blanche will come up. But at what point in the play who knows! Hope aqa just don't **** us over really and pull out a horrible question

How would you create a sense of Blanche's voice in a diary?
Reply 38
How would you create a sense of Blanche's voice in a diary?

I suppose it would vary from what point of the play it is at. It could be after she is taken away at the end, or could be her views on New Orleans near when she arrives. But she is a very fragile woman so her views will be hesitant, also she is from a higher class than alot of the people in new orleans so her language wouldnt be colloquial and as she was a former english teacher she would have fairly low frequency lexis patterns. I suck at the production task and that is where i usually drop my marks so i really am hoping for a good question
Reply 39
Original post by OllieeW
I suppose it would vary from what point of the play it is at. It could be after she is taken away at the end, or could be her views on New Orleans near when she arrives. But she is a very fragile woman so her views will be hesitant, also she is from a higher class than alot of the people in new orleans so her language wouldnt be colloquial and as she was a former english teacher she would have fairly low frequency lexis patterns. I suck at the production task and that is where i usually drop my marks so i really am hoping for a good question

In June 2010, the production question was to write Blanche's diary after events in scene One, that would have been a really nice question. Has you teacher hinted at any thing else?

Which other text are you studying for ELLA1?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending