The Student Room Group

People misusing the STEM term is really annoying me.

Scroll to see replies

i dont understand how you guys can bash humanities/arts subjects when your sitting here TALKING in ENGLISH.
Original post by Boltons Bastard
maths tho bro

How much 'proper' maths actually pops up in Accounts? ( basic adding up does not count :colonhash:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abdul-Karim
If you did science you'd understand how the world works

Described in the language of maths ¬¬
Original post by majmuh24
How much 'proper' maths actually pops up in Accounts? ( basic adding up does not count :colonhash:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you saying that Accounts is somewhat like a Mini and Economics is more like the Rolls Royce?
Original post by Boltons Bastard
Are you saying that Accounts is somewhat like a Mini and Economics is more like the Rolls Royce?

I wouldn't go that far, but essentially yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Described in the language of maths ¬¬

No, english. Pls read OCR chemistry revision book for clarification.
I don't know anyone who would recommend D&T over English literature, at A level

Original post by dire wolf
i dont understand how you guys can bash humanities/arts subjects when your sitting here TALKING in ENGLISH.

Agreed and in my experience, the best STEM students were always humble and respectful, as opposed to giving the bratty, "enjoy your job in Starbucks" speech.
(edited 9 years ago)

So you think no maths is needed in chemistry?

Chemistry is just applied Physics which in turn is a way to describe our universe using maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry is just applied Physics which in turn is a way to describe our universe using maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You guys

he's winding you up, don't fall for it
I wouldn't go that far, but essentially yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I think you're mistaken pal.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
So you think no maths is needed in chemistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

pls Maths is pretty useless if it's not applied to something. No doubt Maths is essential.. but maths in itself is pointless.
pls Maths is pretty useless if it's not applied to something. No doubt Maths is essential.. but maths in itself is pointless.

The ignorance is blinding me!

My eyes!

An example.

If no had come up with mathematical technique of calculus then so much of our understanding of physics would be unobtainable.
(edited 9 years ago)

Are you naturally this stupid or do you have to try?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyways guys..

Economics > STEM
Econometrics > STEM
Investment Banking (Trading) > STEM
Quantitative Finance > STEM
Derivative Markets > STEM
Margaret Thatcher > STEM
I can sense the bitterness.
Threads like this make me miss Robbie
I'm not sure how literally the individual letters of the acronym are meant to be taken
Original post by yo radical one
I don't know anyone who would recommend D&T over English literature, at A level

Agreed and in my experience, the best STEM students were always humble and respectful, as opposed to giving the bratty, "enjoy your job in Starbucks" speech.

that's because they're genuinely intelligent, open-minded people that can appreciate all branches of academia.

lol @ insecure STEM students that can't write for ****.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lasershark
People who say stuff like 'Any A-level that's not STEM isn't worth doing', do you even know what the term means? The T and E are for Technology and Engineering; Technology A-levels are not very respected when applying for science university courses, I've seen they're just add-ons to the more 'academic' subjects. The Engineering A-level is an applied course only offered by Edexcel, which again is not respected. You cannot apply STEM to A-level discussions; it's just bounded about by people who are trying to look in the know.

What exactly is a technology degree? I can only imagine Design & Technology degrees, which are not 'up there' with science degrees. Engineering is a great degree, but not great as an A-level subject. Should one take A-Level Resistant Materials Technology and Applied Engineering A-levels instead of English Literature and Geography? Omg choose the STEM option instead of the respected humanities subjects, because STEM.

At least understand the terms you're using before slating other people's humanities subjects. I study Maths at uni before I'm accused of not being smart enough to study science.

Find something else to be pissed off at. if this is the height of your problems, I envy you greatly...

Quick Reply

Latest