The Student Room Group

Psychology AS unit 1 (Edexcel)

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had a good/clear evaluation for Levels or Processing and Reconstructive memory?
Reply 1
I didn't do reconstructive memory but I did do LOP!

Strengths of LOP include that it is supported by studies (e.g. Hyde & Jenkins who found that adding meaning to info when processing gives better memory, Craik & Tulving who found that deeper processing leads to better recall), research into memory processing links in with research with perception and selective attention so LOP is a stronger explanation than the multi store model and LOP explains the difference in the long term and short term store with depths of processing.

Weaknesses of LOP are that "deep" is not well defined by Craik & Lockhart as it could mean time spent processing, effort used to process or association with past experiences. LOP is also criticised for being descriptive as it does not explain how memory works. It is also conflicted by Morris et al. who found that the nature of the task determines the depth of processing. The time spent processing could be the reason for better memory of information rather than the level of processing. Lastly LOP only explains conscious recall and not automatic recall (explicit/implicit memory).

Good luck!! :smile:
Reply 2
hi guys- for 2 marks how would i write the aim for craik and tulving?

would this get two marks: "to investigate how deep, shallow and intermediate processing affects memory call to test the levels of processing"
Reply 3
Original post by andy96
hi guys- for 2 marks how would i write the aim for craik and tulving?

would this get two marks: "to investigate how deep, shallow and intermediate processing affects memory call to test the levels of processing"

Im not really sure but the way I've always written is "to investigate whether deeper processed information is recalled better and to see if deeper processing meant processing for a longer time."
Reply 4
Original post by Lilyghz
Im not really sure but the way I've always written is "to investigate whether deeper processed information is recalled better and to see if deeper processing meant processing for a longer time."

thank you! they're similar i suppose haha! x
Reply 5
Original post by andy96
thank you! they're similar i suppose haha! x

No worries! Exam is tomorrow!! How you feeling about it? I'm hoping the 12 marker isn't a describe and evaluate a study question Xx
Reply 6
Original post by Lilyghz
No worries! Exam is tomorrow!! How you feeling about it? I'm hoping the 12 marker isn't a describe and evaluate a study question Xx

I seriously hope not either! I'm more scared for unit 2 to be honest :/ wbu? x
Reply 7
Original post by andy96
I seriously hope not either! I'm more scared for unit 2 to be honest :/ wbu? x

I am as well.. Particularly about the biological approach.

Psychodynamic approach? Nailed it. Learning approach? Smashed it. Biological approach? :confused::confused::confused: do you by any chance have notes on the biological approach? Xx
Reply 8
Original post by Lilyghz
I am as well.. Particularly about the biological approach.

Psychodynamic approach? Nailed it. Learning approach? Smashed it. Biological approach? :confused::confused::confused: do you by any chance have notes on the biological approach? Xx

yepp i do! what do you find hard i could help you? x
Reply 9
Original post by andy96
yepp i do! what do you find hard i could help you? x

I have a hard time remembering how PET and MRI scans work though I'm alright with evaluating them.. And also the functioning of neurotransmitters? I can never get it.. :frown: X
Reply 10
okay so: neurotransmitters are chemical messengers which go through neurons and their synapses (the gap between neurons). Hormones on the other hand are also chemical messengers but they go through blood instead that's the only difference.

PET scans and MRI scans are both non-invasive (require no surgery)

PET scans have an injected radioactive tracer where glucose produces positrons (don't have to know what they are) and then they travel to the most active parts of the brain and on the screen you will see that the redder the parts of the brain are, the more activity there is in that area so scientists can see which behaviours are initiated by which part of the brain.

Then MRI scans are similar but unlike PET scans they show the structure of the brain (in 3D also) and a dye is injected into the patient so that the whole brain structure can be visible on the screen.

You can see tumours with both MRI and PET scans but MRI scans have disadvantages purely because you get put in that long tube and it lasts a long time producing a really loud noise which sucks. So people can feel claustrophobic! x
Reply 11
Original post by Lilyghz
I have a hard time remembering how PET and MRI scans work though I'm alright with evaluating them.. And also the functioning of neurotransmitters? I can never get it.. :frown: X

okay so: neurotransmitters are chemical messengers which go through neurons and their synapses (the gap between neurons). Hormones on the other hand are also chemical messengers but they go through blood instead that's the only difference.

PET scans have an injected radioactive tracer where glucose produces positrons (don't have to know what they are) and then they travel to the most active parts of the brain and on the screen you will see that the redder the parts of the brain are, the more activity there is in that area so scientists can see which behaviours are initiated by which part of the brain.

Then MRI scans are similar but unlike PET scans they show the structure of the brain (in 3D also) and a dye is injected into the patient so that the whole brain structure can be visible on the screen.

You can see tumours with both MRI and PET scans but MRI scans have disadvantages purely because you get put in that long tube and it lasts a long time producing a really loud noise which sucks. So people can feel claustrophobic! x
Original post by andy96

Thanks for keeping your answers short and simple they really helped! Is there anything I can help with? :smile:

Ps I read something funny so I thought I'd share with this forum because of how appropriate it is

AM I READY FOR MY PSYCHOLOGY EXAM?
I'm a-freud not.
Reply 13
Original post by Lilyghz
Thanks for keeping your answers short and simple they really helped! Is there anything I can help with? :smile:

Ps I read something funny so I thought I'd share with this forum because of how appropriate it is

AM I READY FOR MY PSYCHOLOGY EXAM?
I'm a-freud not.

hahaahaa oh god. lowered my stress levels a bit :biggrin:
do you know studd about bandura ross and ross? x
Reply 14
Original post by andy96
hahaahaa oh god. lowered my stress levels a bit :biggrin:
do you know studd about bandura ross and ross? x

the study*
Original post by andy96
the study*

Yes but is it alright if I pm you about it after the paper tomorrow? I'm going crazy about tomorrow :s x
Reply 16
Original post by Lilyghz
Yes but is it alright if I pm you about it after the paper tomorrow? I'm going crazy about tomorrow :s x

yeah sure :smile: and same my belly is doing backflips. :/

Quick Reply

Latest