The Student Room Group

Nat 5 French Exam

National 5 French exam is on Wednesday...Just did chemistry today leaving me just over 24 hrs to learn the writing :s-smilie: Any tips for learning it? and advice/predictions for the listening and reading element?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by musicalflute
National 5 French exam is on Wednesday...Just did chemistry today leaving me just over 24 hrs to learn the writing :s-smilie: Any tips for learning it? and advice/predictions for the listening and reading element?

I had Chemistry today too. I totally failed it :frown:

For the writing, I learned it in an hour for my prelim and got full marks on it. Basically, divide it into paragraphs and divide the paragraphs again into manageable chunks. Read over each section (separately) and then try to write it out bit by bit. Just keep repeating it. When you are secure in one paragraph, move on. When you've done a few, try to write the whole thing out.

You could maybe record it and play it while you sleep. That doesn't really work for me personally but it might for you.

As for the reading and listening, the listening especially, just use as much common sense as possible and guess if you have no idea. I did and didn't do too badly even though I'm really bad at listening.

Are you feeling confident for French? It's probably one of my more confident exams. The speaking mark also helps that a bit whereas with Chemistry I feel like I done awfully in the assignment too so I'm pretty screwed :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by chippedcups
I had Chemistry today too. I totally failed it :frown:

For the writing, I learned it in an hour for my prelim and got full marks on it. Basically, divide it into paragraphs and divide the paragraphs again into manageable chunks. Read over each section (separately) and then try to write it out bit by bit. Just keep repeating it. When you are secure in one paragraph, move on. When you've done a few, try to write the whole thing out.

You could maybe record it and play it while you sleep. That doesn't really work for me personally but it might for you.

As for the reading and listening, the listening especially, just use as much common sense as possible and guess if you have no idea. I did and didn't do too badly even though I'm really bad at listening.

Are you feeling confident for French? It's probably one of my more confident exams. The speaking mark also helps that a bit whereas with Chemistry I feel like I done awfully in the assignment too so I'm pretty screwed :frown:

Yeah, I don't feel like chemistry was that great either, but probably enough to get a B or a low A. French is one of my good subjects (luckily!) but we didn't do writing in the prelim so this is me learning it for the first time..oops. Thanks for the tips, I'll do that :smile:

I did very well in my speaking, (predicted full marks :colondollar:) so I'm glad I have that to back me up. I feel though like I've done no revision for the listening'reading parts. Do you know of any good websites for revising vocab and stuff? I've only been doing French for two years, so I really need to brush up haha
The site Memrise is really helpful for learning vocab. You just type in vocab and you have different ways to help you remember it and it repeats it until you have memorised it. For reading I have just been doing a few past papers from int 2 but having a dictionary really helps a lot.
For writing I just keep repeating small sentences to myself and then I write it out a lot but some of mine are a bit similar so it's quite difficult to not mix them up
Reply 4
I was under the impression that French was on friday so I left this to the last minute. I too, sat chemistry this morning and now I'm learning my French writing.

My advice is - since like myself, French is one of your strongest subjects study the writing only.

I got 30/30 for the speaking part of the exam, 20/20 for the writing in the prelim, 27/30 for the reading (oops) and 17/20 for the listening (not my strongest point).

Anyway- In the reading exam you have a dictionary so you can look up any unfamiliar words. Listening is hard, and only effective way to study listening is immersing yourself in a French speaking country. You can get 20/20 if you learn your writing accurately.

So my advice for the exam is:
Memorise your writing
Forget about listening
Use your dictionary to define any unfamilar words for reading
Relax!

Good luck!

I agree with the previous respondent - split your writing up into paragraphs (I have eight), say them and write them down first with looking and then without looking. If you're stuck, have a peek but have a punishment (ie one pushup).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Broongirl
I was under the impression that French was on friday so I left this to the last minute. I too, sat chemistry this morning and now I'm learning my French writing.

My advice is - since like myself, French is one of your strongest subjects study the writing only.

I got 30/30 for the speaking part of the exam, 20/20 for the writing in the prelim, 27/30 for the reading (oops) and 17/20 for the listening (not my strongest point).

Anyway- In the reading exam you have a dictionary so you can look up any unfamiliar words. Listening is hard, and only effective way to study listening is immersing yourself in a French speaking country. You can get 20/20 if you learn your writing accurately.

So my advice for the exam is:
Memorise your writing
Forget about listening
Use your dictionary to define any unfamilar words for reading
Relax!

Good luck!

I agree with the previous respondent - split your writing up into paragraphs (I have eight), say them and write them down first with looking and then without looking. If you're stuck, have a peak but have a punishment (ie one pushup).

You punish yourself when studying?
****. Still not done any revision for this exam :redface: Guess I'll just need to do loads tomorrow.
Reply 7
Original post by Ecasx

Hahahahaha actually I don't. I thought about it as I was typing it and thought that it might motivate somebody.
Listening was dreadful. :frown: Reading and writing were okay.
I guessed most of the answers for the listening oops :frown: I found the reading and writing okay though but i'm so bad at French
Original post by Broongirl
Hahahahaha actually I don't. I thought about it as I was typing it and thought that it might motivate somebody.

Original post by Ecasx

:lol: This is absolutely hilarious

I give myself targets. So, I say to myself from this time to this time, I'll have learned these paragraphs and then I will take a break or continue. I keep doing that. Setting yourself targets are really handy.
Original post by chopinfan
Listening was dreadful. :frown: Reading and writing were okay.

I know! I hardly knew any of the answers and ended up guessing the majority of the paper. I think I got about eight which is quite depressing as I got twenty in the prelim. 😔 But oh well, I feel really good about the reading and writing and got thirty in the speaking so I should still get an A 😊
Original post by Rachael Lamb
I know! I hardly knew any of the answers and ended up guessing the majority of the paper. I think I got about eight which is quite depressing as I got twenty in the prelim. 😔 But oh well, I feel really good about the reading and writing and got thirty in the speaking so I should still get an A 😊

:frown: :frown: I got 99% in the prelim, lost a mark in the reading. Think I honestly got about 6/20 in that listening but yeah, should hopefully still get an A cause of 30 marks in the speaking and an okay reading/writing paper :/ I just couldn't tune in to what 'Sylvie' was saying, sounded so mumbled and unclear. There goes the chance of getting an award for French...
(edited 9 years ago)
:frown: :frown: I got 99% in the prelim, lost a mark in the reading. Think I honestly got about 6/20 in that listening but yeah, should hopefully still get an A cause of 30 marks in the speaking and an okay reading/writing paper :/ I just couldn't tune in to what 'Sylvie' was saying, sounded so mumbled and unclear. There goes the chance of getting an award for French...

I know. I was hoping for an award at the start of the year but then a girl from Canada who speaks fluent French moved into my class so my hopes were dashed 😔 but never mind. I felt the same. I couldn't make out anything Sylvie was on about except when she worked and her future plans 😔
Reply 14
Does anybody have any of the papers?
Original post by Rachael Lamb
I know. I was hoping for an award at the start of the year but then a girl from Canada who speaks fluent French moved into my class so my hopes were dashed 😔 but never mind. I felt the same. I couldn't make out anything Sylvie was on about except when she worked and her future plans 😔

Aw that's not fair haha :frown: I only got when she worked and I heard something about travelling around Europe. What did you put for her future plans? :smile: Also said that she ''wasn't sure'' but I just made that up lol
Plus, in the first listening, I didn't say that she served drinks, I just said that she served the customers. :// Didn't get the advantages of her job question either.
Aw that's not fair haha :frown: I only got when she worked and I heard something about travelling around Europe. What did you put for her future plans? :smile: Also said that she ''wasn't sure'' but I just made that up lol
Plus, in the first listening, I didn't say that she served drinks, I just said that she served the customers. :// Didn't get the advantages of her job question either.

I didn't get the advantages either 😔 I think I heard something about them getting food but wasn't sure so wrote something random about nice customers and good pay even though I didn't hear it. 😕 For the main job I said she served drinks and for the next part I said she cleared the tables. I think I got those ones right but that's about it really 😔
Yep! That listening was so difficult, especially the dialogue. The reading and writing were pretty straightforward though. On the dialogue I only managed to answer the one about how often she worked, what she liked about her job and part her future plans. The rest of the dialogue I just tried making educated guesses. Was it just me or did Syilvie sound muffled/unclear in parts of the audio?
That listening was so bad :frown: But the writing was good and the reading, although a little harder than usual imo, went pretty well too. With predicted full marks in my speaking, I'm really hoping for an A.

I think the audio was pretty bad. She sounded drunk :tongue: My French teacher was in the exam hall while the recording was playing and afterwards she agreed that it was quite hard. I didn't talk to a single person who understood it much.

For what she does in her job, for the first part I put that she served drinks but for the second part I said that she helped out in the kitchen. Does anyone know if that sounds correct? I guessed most of it tbh.
Original post by chippedcups
That listening was so bad :frown: But the writing was good and the reading, although a little harder than usual imo, went pretty well too. With predicted full marks in my speaking, I'm really hoping for an A.

I think the audio was pretty bad. She sounded drunk :tongue: My French teacher was in the exam hall while the recording was playing and afterwards she agreed that it was quite hard. I didn't talk to a single person who understood it much.

For what she does in her job, for the first part I put that she served drinks but for the second part I said that she helped out in the kitchen. Does anyone know if that sounds correct? I guessed most of it tbh.

I put the same for that question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending