The Student Room Group

Question for anyone who did/ is doing a level 3 BTEC course

So I have a question. I'm going into college in september and I'm going to be doing BTEC Business Level 3. I really want to go to university but I'm confused on how this is course is assessed. My college website said the depending on how many credits I achieve in the course I will recieve one of the following

90 Credits: BTEC Level 3 - 90 Credit Diploma (equivalent to one and a half A Levels)

120 Credits: BTEC Level 3 Diploma (equivalent to two A Levels)

180 Credits: BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (equivalent to three A Levels

I'm okay with that, I looked on a ucas point generator for BTEC and the highest is D*D*D* which is equal to 420 or so UCAS points. But how do I get a D*D*D* and avoid getting a D*DD or a MMM or a MM?

What I'm trying to say is how do I know which one of the credit boundaries posted above will get me a D*D*D*?

Thanks in advance
(First time on this website)

Scroll to see replies

You will need the 180 credits to be able to go to university.

Your assignments will be given a grade; pass, merit, distinction, referral. To get the D*D*D* you will pretty much need distinctions in every assignment. To avoid getting an MMM (which isn't a bad grade) you will need to get good grades.
Reply 2
Original post by NEWTON1080p
So I have a question. I'm going into college in september and I'm going to be doing BTEC Business Level 3. I really want to go to university but I'm confused on how this is course is assessed. My college website said the depending on how many credits I achieve in the course I will recieve one of the following

90 Credits: BTEC Level 3 - 90 Credit Diploma (equivalent to one and a half A Levels)

120 Credits: BTEC Level 3 Diploma (equivalent to two A Levels)

180 Credits: BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (equivalent to three A Levels

I'm okay with that, I looked on a ucas point generator for BTEC and the highest is D*D*D* which is equal to 420 or so UCAS points. But how do I get a D*D*D* and avoid getting a D*DD or a MMM or a MM?

What I'm trying to say is how do I know which one of the credit boundaries posted above will get me a D*D*D*?

Thanks in advance
(First time on this website)

the 180 credit on is the extended diploma
the 90 credit is just the first year of the extended diploma
the 120 credit is the diploma (double award) worth 2 a levels
the 60 credit is the subsidiary diploma (1 a level)

if you are taking the extended diploma you will need 150 credits (15 units) at Distinction and 30 credits (3 units) at Merit, 170 at Distinction and 10 at pass or 160 at Distinction, 10 at Merit and 10 at pass.

to put it in a simpler way of understanding it, each unit is worth 10 credits and that is multiplied by the amount of credits for each grade i.e. 9 for a Dist, 8 for Merit and 7 for pass, so...

Dist = 90
Merit = 80
pass = 70

you then add up the 18 scores and you will get one of the following grades:

1250- = FAIL
1260=PPP
1300= MPP
1340= MMP
1380= MMM
1420= DMM
1460= DDM
1500= DDD
1540= D*DD
1560= D*D*D
1590 to 1620 = D*D*D*

(the maximum score that you can achieve is 1620)

for the subsidiary diploma grade boundaries just divide each score shown above by 3.

for the 90 credit you will do 9 units (which is not normally taken as a stand alone qualification it is usually awarded on completion of the first year of the Extended diploma) you will recieve 2 grades for this e.g. DM the first grade counts as a full A level and the other an AS.

the diploma (120 credit) will also give you 2 grades but they will both be full A levels, e.g. D*D would be A*A and give you 260 UCAS points.

on completion of the extended diploma you will get 3 grades all corresponding to full A level's so like you said if you get D*D*D* that will be the equivalent of A*A*A* and give you 420 UCAS points.

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
I have a question. I am doing 30 credit BTEC IT (UK), would i be able to go to university and study programming/software engineering.
Original post by syed47
I have a question. I am doing 30 credit BTEC IT (UK), would i be able to go to university and study programming/software engineering.

30 Credit? So you're doing a certificate?

I would say no, if that's all you're doing because it wouldn't even come close the amount of UCAS points you need for most unis. However, I'm going to assume that you're doing that certificate alongside something else, because doing a certificate on its own sounds like a waste of time. So it'll depend on what else you're doing, and what 3(I assume it's 3 at 10 credits each) units you're doing.
Reply 5
Original post by Jazzyboy
30 Credit? So you're doing a certificate?

I would say no, if that's all you're doing because it wouldn't even come close the amount of UCAS points you need for most unis. However, I'm going to assume that you're doing that certificate alongside something else, because doing a certificate on its own sounds like a waste of time. So it'll depend on what else you're doing, and what 3(I assume it's 3 at 10 credits each) units you're doing.

the UCAS points system has changed
Original post by RedManc
the UCAS points system has changed

Umm, yes, I know. But the vast majority of qualifications still have the same end-value, so a 30-Credit Certificate still isn't going to give you enough UCAS Points to get into most unis. While it might seem like you now need less points on the new system, you'll also find that qualifications have been reduced in their point value accordingly, so the same qualification is still going to get you into the same unis, and a certificate is still worth the same to most unis as it was before.
Reply 7
I'm really confused!! I am hoping to achieve distinction, merit and pass in my three BTEC level 3 sub diplomas. What is that equivalent to in A level grades? i.e. Is the distinction equivalent to grade A in A level etc - thank you 😊
Original post by bboxy
i'm really confused!! I am hoping to achieve distinction, merit and pass in my three btec level 3 sub diplomas. What is that equivalent to in a level grades? I.e. Is the distinction equivalent to grade a in a level etc - thank you 😊

d* = a*
d = a
m = c
p = e
Reply 9
Original post by syed47

Not with just a 30 credit BTEC unless you have other qualifications or lots of industry experience
Reply 10
I'm planning on doing 90 credit Level 3 for business and 90 credit Level 3 for ICT and I'm planning to get Destinctions for the both of them, will I be able to go to Uni with that ??
Reply 11
Guys you should really check university requirements. That's what I did personally and if it isn't clear on the website. Just email them.:h:
Reply 12
Original post by OGGUS
Guys you should really check university requirements. That's what I did personally and if it isn't clear on the website. Just email them.:h:

I have seen some of the requirments, but I don't really understand them at times plus I'm just starting my btec so I'm not too sure, just wanted some advice
Reply 13
Original post by Zoheb22
I have seen some of the requirments, but I don't really understand them at times plus I'm just starting my btec so I'm not too sure, just wanted some advice

It should say something like DDD which is like saying AAA...
This would mean getting mainly distinction in both years.
For example I'm probably going to get 7 Distiniction 1 merit and 1 pass. This will get me D*D which is a 90 credit diploma half an extended.
If you get 14 distinctions 2 merits and 2 pass you'll get something like D*DD/D*D*D
Original post by NEWTON1080p
x

You will be doing a 90 credit diploma in the first year. This will consist of 9 units and half of the extended diploma.

90 credit diploma = 1st year only, 9 units
Extended diploma = 2 years to complete, 18 units in total and 90 credit diploma units factor into this

Whatever you get in these 9 units of the first year will dictate what your grade for the 90 credit diploma will be and it will also constitute as half of the extended diploma, which is 18 units.

The second year will be aimed towards completing the extended diploma. In the second year you will be doing another 9 units, just like the first year. At the end of of the year you will be given an extended diploma.

To calculate the overall grade of the extended diploma, they grade it judging from the performance of the first year and the second year- which is 18 units in total.

I suggest you look at this site to see how many distinctions/merits/passes you will require in total to achieve a D*D*D*.

I got a D*D*D* in IT recently, with minimal effort however I got distinction in every unit.
Reply 15
Original post by Spratty
You will be doing a 90 credit diploma in the first year. This will consist of 9 units and half of the extended diploma.

90 credit diploma = 1st year only, 9 units
Extended diploma = 2 years to complete, 18 units in total and 90 credit diploma units factor into this

Whatever you get in these 9 units of the first year will dictate what your grade for the 90 credit diploma will be and it will also constitute as half of the extended diploma, which is 18 units.

The second year will be aimed towards completing the extended diploma. In the second year you will be doing another 9 units, just like the first year. At the end of of the year you will be given an extended diploma.

To calculate the overall grade of the extended diploma, they grade it judging from the performance of the first year and the second year- which is 18 units in total.

I suggest you look at this site to see how many distinctions/merits/passes you will require in total to achieve a D*D*D*.

I got a D*D*D* in IT recently, with minimal effort however I got distinction in every unit.

Is it possible for me to do a 90 credit diploma for business and 90 credit diploma for ict and that's its and not doing extended ??
Reply 16
Original post by Zoheb22
Is it possible for me to do a 90 credit diploma for business and 90 credit diploma for ict and that's its and not doing extended ??

It's equivalent to a extended as it adds up.
might need to check uni requirements in case some of the good ones want A-level maths
Original post by Zoheb22

Dont think thats possible.
Reply 18
Original post by OGGUS
It's equivalent to a extended as it adds up.
might need to check uni requirements in case some of the good ones want A-level maths

So you can't get a qualification once you've finished the 90 credit diploma for example because it's equivilant to 1 and half a Levels ??
Reply 19
Original post by Zoheb22
So you can't get a qualification once you've finished the 90 credit diploma for example because it's equivilant to 1 and half a Levels ??

No you do get one, it's made up of 9 units:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending