The Student Room Group

People misusing the STEM term is really annoying me.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
The ignorance is blinding me!

My eyes!

An example.

If no had come up with mathematical technique of calculus then so much of our understanding of physics would be unobtainable.

Too bad Newton invented calculus..
Original post by shahbaz

Leibniz 4 lyf :colone:

We still use the Leibniz notation for calculus as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abdul-Karim

Margaret Thatcher > STEM

Margaret Thatcher? Leave this Earth! :mad:
Reply 43
If you did science you'd understand how the world works
Some prefer to live and breathe in a mathematical world. Which is reasonable, as it is perfect in many respects.
Original post by majmuh24
Scientists still don't understand how the world works properly yet...

Posted from TSR Mobile

dude science is just a simplistic maths model that sort of fits reality.
no one will 'understand' it all
think about your reality, why are you made of atoms same as a piece of dead wood, yet you have thoughts and a consciousness.
what do you experience after you die ? is life just a illusion, you will never know
Original post by shahbaz

To bad he came up with the new mathematical technique. Mathematicians are often physicists as well. There is a whole area termed Mathematical physics. The problem is people split up subjects rigidly into different areas because that is how they are taught in school when in reality maths and physics are very much merged together.

Anyway it is debatable whether Newton really did come up with calculus.
Original post by vengeance111
dude science is just a simplistic maths model that sort of fits reality.no one will 'understand' it all think about your reality, why are you made of atoms same as a piece of dead wood, yet you have thoughts and a consciousness. what do you experience after you die ? is life just a illusion, you will never know
This is what I was getting at...
Anyways guys..

Economics > STEM
Econometrics > STEM
Investment Banking (Trading) > STEM
Quantitative Finance > STEM
Derivative Markets > STEM
Margaret Thatcher > STEM

u wot m8?

Economics relies heavily on Maths

Maths>Economics

Maths is part of STEM

\therefore STEM>Economics and all that other jargon you've listed
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
To bad he came up with the new mathematical technique. Mathematicians are often physicists as well. There is a whole area termed Mathematical physics. The problem is people split up subjects rigidly into different areas because that is how they are taught in school when in reality maths and physics are very much merged together.

Anyway it is debatable whether Newton really did come up with calculus.

Yeah I agree that that they are both related even more so in areas such as string theory. ect. Both subjects compliment each other.
Leibniz 4 lyf :colone:

We still use the Leibniz notation for calculus as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

We also use newton's notation in mechanics. :wink:
Original post by shahbaz
We also use newton's notation in mechanics. :wink:

Meh, I would say the dot notation gets very messy with higher order derivatives :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Meh, I would say the dot notation gets very messy with higher order derivatives :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont know, I kinda like. Saves me writing loads and time.
This is what I was getting at...

yeah still science is a useful tool to solve issues in peoples lives though, like the production of methamphetamine thank god for science !
The STEM snobbery on TSR is a ridiculous.

If you look down on non-STEM subjects, you probably aren't very intelligent in the first place. For example, in Cambridge, I never hear people look down on non-STEM subjects. Probably because the students there are mature and intelligent enough to realise that the study of all academic disciplines is important.

Whereas on TSR, you get loads of average students studying Physics/Chemistry at a good, but not great university, insulting those they feel are doing "lesser" degrees to try to make themselves feel more intelligent.

So yeah, if you look down on non-STEM subjects, I think you're probably not very intelligent.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Chief Wiggum
The STEM snobbery on TSR is a ridiculous.

If you look down on non-STEM subjects, you probably aren't very intelligent in the first place. For example, in Cambridge, I never hear people look down on non-STEM subjects. Probably because the students there are mature and intelligent enough to realise that the study of all academic disciplines is important.

Whereas on TSR, you get loads of average students studying Physics/Chemistry at a good, but not great university, insulting those they feel are doing "lesser" degrees to try to make themselves feel more intelligent.

So yeah, if you look down on non-STEM subjects, I think you're probably not very intelligent.

Ironically you've used university snobbery to try and dispel STEM snobbery
Original post by Boltons Bastard
Are you saying that Accounts is somewhat like a Mini and Economics is more like the Rolls Royce?

In fairness, the Mini is a famously reliable design classic with a practical everyday usefulness, while the Rolls-Royce is an impractical and cumbersome indulgence for ********s.
Original post by bertstare
Ironically you've used university snobbery to try and dispel STEM snobbery

It's what I've observed on TSR.

Reading back over my post, I guess it might give the impression that I think people studying Phyiscs/Chemistry at "good but not great universities" aren't very intelligent, but that definitely isn't what I meant.

Quick Reply

Latest