The Student Room Group

Predictions for AS Edexcel Philosophy of Religions/Foundations Paper

We're doing the philosophy and ethics side and I was wondering if any one had any predictions for what Qs might come up?

Scroll to see replies

:bump:

I'm also doing that paper! Been revising all day- you feeling confident? I was looking through past papers and mark schemes, and found sometimes they want you to talk about scholars, and other times you have to consider ideas more thoroughly, such as Swinburne and probability- you have any points on that? :smile:
Reply 2
I have no clue haha I've only really included included the Principle of Ockham's Razor.
ive tried to revise so much but it really isn't working...
Reply 3
How are you revising?
Reply 4
I just went through all the past papers and tried to guess what it could be but there was no luck. As my school we do philosophy and Hinduism, so I've mainly just been reading my notes, the study booklets they gave me and planning answers to past questions, hopefully it will be ok! I got an A in my mock, so fingers crossed I get it in this too!
Reply 5
Arghhhh, I've taken the risky route of revising the design argument only!

Also, my teachers taught us the problem of evil topic only, instead of miracles as well.

Finally, we've learnt about utilitarianism and situation ethics but I'm struggling with them, and either could come up :frown:
Reply 6
I kind of got an E in the mock...>_> I didn't write quickly enough and only got two essays done.... Woops>_< I was thinking for the Cosmo it might be significant features, P.O.E, no clue._.
Reply 7
Original post by 0mgJohn
Arghhhh, I've taken the risky route of revising the design argument only!

Also, my teachers taught us the problem of evil topic only, instead of miracles as well.

Finally, we've learnt about utilitarianism and situation ethics but I'm struggling with them, and either could come up :frown:

Awww;/ dude we need helpppppp;(! Have you done your religious experience essay yet? Because doesn't that count for 50% of our marks? I guess a C is ok if I get like an A in that? How are you revising for tomorrow?
Reply 8
Original post by Kimmy2014
Awww;/ dude we need helpppppp;(! Have you done your religious experience essay yet? Because doesn't that count for 50% of our marks? I guess a C is ok if I get like an A in that? How are you revising for tomorrow?

Erm, I haven't done any religious experience essay? However, my other Philosophy & Ethics exam consists of answering a single question worth 50 marks. Ours concerns religious principles and certain ethics slowing medical progress (teachers decided to base this around euthanasia)?
Reply 9
Ohhhhh wait you must be doing a different paper for the 2nd exam. Sorry:P
Ugh I just hope I do awesome on that so I don't actually fail the course... I want to get into Yorkkkk
I'm in A2 but I'm retaking this exam tomorrow. Is anyone doing 2 ethics questions and 1 philosophy and is this even aloud? Last year I did 2 philosophy and 1 ethics and literally ew it went badly
Reply 11
Original post by arctichelen_
I'm in A2 but I'm retaking this exam tomorrow. Is anyone doing 2 ethics questions and 1 philosophy and is this even aloud? Last year I did 2 philosophy and 1 ethics and literally ew it went badly

Yes that's allowed you can do any combination :smile:
I'm hoping to do 2 philo and 1 ethic;P
Omg thank you!
Yeah I did 2 philosophy (cosmo/poe) and 1 ethics (util) but ran out of time and :frown:
This year I wanna do poe/ util and religon&morality
Literally did not revise any design/Cosmo this year which was ridiculously stupid of me and ew it's tomorrow morning ew ewww
Btw, A2 philosophy and ethics is so much better literally 10/10 for them
Reply 14
Omg thank you!
Yeah I did 2 philosophy (cosmo/poe) and 1 ethics (util) but ran out of time and :frown:
This year I wanna do poe/ util and religon&morality
Literally did not revise any design/Cosmo this year which was ridiculously stupid of me and ew it's tomorrow morning ew ewww

Awwwww :\ GL .. You could always redo it next year if all doesn't go to plan?

Btw, A2 philosophy and ethics is so much better literally 10/10 for them

Oh thank god for that... What do you do in the second year?
I'll be at uni next year so I can't!

Well basically, the boxes are kinda the same but in the first box:
Arguments for non-existence of God, Ontological argument (my fave) and argument from religious experience

Second box:
Religious language and life after death

Ethics first box:
Natural moral law, virtue ethics

Second:
Deontology

My A2 exam is Jun 11th and I'm doing 2 phil and 1 ethics (we have to because our unit 4 is entirely on ethics) but literally the arguments are a lot more philosophically sound, arguments are stronger and imo more easier to understand. Criticisms are good too so your A02 gets a lot stronger!
Reply 16
How did the exam go?
Hmm, for me okay. I did religion and morality question first, then problem of evil and then design argument which I didn't finish due to time :frown:
What about you?
Reply 18
I think I did ok.. Ermm I did the Cosmo Argument, POE and Util. I seriously thanked god that it was was Util instead of SE. I'd only revised those 3 and honestly I didn't finish either>_<
I'm sure you did fine! I know you don't wanna think about this now, but at least you can retake next year! It's not ideal as more pressure etc but it's another shot at it!
What other exams have you got?

Quick Reply

Latest