The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by little_tom
He's not over-rated by us. He's a good left back and fits into our system well. You can easily tell the difference when Monreal plays and when Gibbs play. No one claims that he's a world beater like how Liverpool fans rate Sterling, Flanagen, and err... Gerrard (past it)

I cba finding quotes. You definitely said Wenger was a failure and Rodgers is a better manager because "he's going to win the league in his second season" and has had less time to develop his squad.

don't backtrack

So basically you're saying Gibbs >> Monreal. No ****ing ****. Everyone knows that. Says nothing about Gibbs' quality or lack of it.

No-one has ever said that Flanagan is a world beater. Sterling has been a world beater for the last 6 months. If you can't see that, you're blind. Likewise Gerrard (poor last three games though).

Wenger has failed this season, and I'm dubious of his supposed achievements in keeping you guys afloat for the past decade. I've asked repeatedly for better explanation and all you've done is given me a graph. When I ask more questions you can't answer them, no-one can. Rodgers has by far done a better job this year.

Never back tracking mate. Telling the truth on your thread. You'll all come round soon enough.
Original post by White Dress

Wenger has failed this season, and I'm dubious of his supposed achievements in keeping you guys afloat for the past decade. I've asked repeatedly for better explanation and all you've done is given me a graph. When I ask more questions you can't answer them, no-one can. Rodgers has by far done a better job this year.

Never back tracking mate. Telling the truth on your thread. You'll all come round soon enough.

The subtlety in threading water, whilst having essentially zero to spend in the transfer market, other than what he could raise through profits from selling players, is no doubt lost on you.

So this is how it works:

-Wenger maintains CL football for 9 years:''yeah but where's the trophy? he's failed''
-Rodgers qualifies once whilst Wenger wins* the FA Cup in addition: ''Clearly Wenger has failed and Rodgers has succeeded''

Is this an intelligent conclusion?
(edited 9 years ago)
So basically you're saying Gibbs >> Monreal. No ****ing ****. Everyone knows that. Says nothing about Gibbs' quality or lack of it.

No-one has ever said that Flanagan is a world beater. Sterling has been a world beater for the last 6 months. If you can't see that, you're blind. Likewise Gerrard (poor last three games though).

I did elaborate on the graph but you didn't reply. Go back and find the post if you're so interested.

Honestly, you are trying to make an argument over nothing. If you can cherry pick where Gibbs, Koscielny and Mertesacker have been poor we can cherry pick where Gerrad, Sterling and Flanagen have been poor. It works both ways, and the way you analyse a player is over a season, not based on a performance, like you have done (after the Liverpool game for example)

You make it out as if we are unable to criticize our players which is utter nonsense. Every player in our starting line up has, at one point, been criticized. Last season? Ramsey, Walcott, Gervinho, Vermaelen, Kocsielny, Mert, Giroud, Arteta, Szcz. This season? Wilshere, Arteta, Podolski, Giroud, Cazorla, Monreal, etc.

what's your point
Original post by Zürich
The subtlety of threading water, whilst having essentially zero to spend in the transfer market, other than what he could raise through profits from selling players, is no doubt lost on you.

So this is how it works:

-Wenger maintains CL football for 9 years:''yeah but where's the trophy? he's failed''
-Rodgers qualifies once whilst Wenger wins* the FA Cup in addition: ''Clearly Wenger has failed and Rodgers has succeeded''

Is this an intelligent conclusion?

I am a bit knackered tomorrow. Today I'll revisit this discussion and quiz you at length. I'm a football follower not a finance connoisseur like you so please excuse my ignorance for now.
Original post by little_tom
I did elaborate on the graph but you didn't reply. Go back and find the post if you're so interested.

Honestly, you are trying to make an argument over nothing. If you can cherry pick where Gibbs, Koscielny and Mertesacker have been poor we can cherry pick where Gerrad, Sterling and Flanagen have been poor. It works both ways, and the way you analyse a player is over a season, not based on a performance, like you have done (after the Liverpool game for example)

You make it out as if we are unable to criticize our players which is utter nonsense. Every player in our starting line up has, at one point, been criticized. Last season? Ramsey, Walcott, Gervinho, Vermaelen, Kocsielny, Mert, Giroud, Arteta, Szcz. This season? Wilshere, Arteta, Podolski, Giroud, Cazorla, Monreal, etc.

what's your point

I asked further questions and they were never answered.

I'm honestly not trying to pick an argument. You guys are very defensive/gassed over your players.
Original post by SHOO
I think his form here will be quite different to his form in Spain.

It obviously may well improve but I can see him struggling to settle in for the first season or so

Doubt it. We just need a physical presence in the box who's on form but can also lay it off to the midfielders.
Original post by jam278
Doubt it. We just need a physical presence in the box who's on form but can also lay it off to the midfielders.

yeah lol I highly doubt it as well.

Been repping that guy for ages. Watch as he rips up this league. 20 league goals I reckon.
yeah lol I highly doubt it as well.

Been repping that guy for ages. Watch as he rips up this league. 20 league goals I reckon.

Same here. 20 league goal guy. Although knowing our tactics I see it being around 15 goals but with him ripping up defences. Think Sturridge/Aguero will get top goalscorer next season if they're fit tho.

Atlético are probably more physical than majority of premier league teams so I don't think Costa will have any adapting problems to the league which is known for it's tenacity. Atlético play at a high tempo as well with a lot of work rate.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3068
Did he just say none has ever said Flanagan was a world beater?

Guess he's oblivious to the Cafu anointment. I mean, it's only gone viral but selective amnesia and all that.
Original post by 419
Did he just say none has ever said Flanagan was a world beater?

Guess he's oblivious to the Cafu anointment. I mean, it's only gone viral but selective amnesia and all that.

Liverpool fans know Flanagan is not a world beater, Johnson is a better fullback than him. Don't try the twist the Cafu anointment just to make it seem that Liverpool fans think Flanagan is a world beater, you probably are the only one who took that anointment too literally lol.
(edited 9 years ago)
lol red cafu is as much in irony as it is in praise of Flanno. 419 is just one of these posters that's generally knowledgable but completely blinkered when it comes to his own club.

x
Original post by jam278
Same here. 20 league goal guy. Although knowing our tactics I see it being around 15 goals but with him ripping up defences. Think Sturridge/Aguero will get top goalscorer next season if they're fit tho.

Atlético are probably more physical than majority of premier league teams so I don't think Costa will have any adapting problems to the league which is known for it's tenacity. Atlético play at a high tempo as well with a lot of work rate.

There is of course the fact that he fits into Atletico's game, but it's also a case of those being his natural attributes. He's a very hard worker, very physical, very aggressive. Perfect fit for this league. The complete opposite of Soldado. No issues at all with him. Chelsea look very daunting with him. Not too sure about any intricate play with the AMs though.
Hey the FA cup screening tickets are on general sale! Who's going?
Original post by QUANTAM
Hey the FA cup screening tickets are on general sale! Who's going?

Better atmosphere down the pub tbh
Original post by Pete_91
I thought everyone had him on ignore tbh.

aw pete thought you took me off mate x

can't hack the truth eh
Reply 3075
Original post by Zürich
Better atmosphere down the pub tbh

Sadly, it's true.

The die hards that sing their hearts out are at the pub nowadays & not in the stands :frown:
aw pete thought you took me off mate x

can't hack the truth eh

White Dress, you sound familiar.
Original post by jam278
White Dress, you sound familiar.

It's straight up G, matchday G, I'm a G, abcdefG.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Peggles_*
It's straight up G, matchday G, I'm a G, abcdefG.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, had no idea. Thought it was Deshi. :ashamed:
Guys who did you vote for as Arsenal's Player of the Season? I opted for BFG, a clear choice for me.

Latest