The Student Room Group

Twin Block Brace

So today, at age 15, I got a twin block brace and Im required to wear it for 20 hours. I am one of the leading actors in my school and I love it alot. However, this new brace means that I can barely speak and saliva builds up quickly. I am severly self conscious about it and though i am usually an extroverted person I am worried that I will be less talkative and bubbly. I must wear it for 6 months. It's getting me really down. Any advice/experiences?:smile:
I had a quad-helix, which is basically a trapezium shaped metal thing in the roof of my mouth, as well as braces. Trust me, you learn to cope after a while. You'll be fine. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I just got my twin block braces yesterday and they are horrible but it will be alright I wanted to throw them away this morning but my friends were really nice about it, so it's fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I used to have a twin block brace...absolutely loathed it. I was meant to have it for a year, actually ended up only needing it for a few months. So it might be all over and done with a lot sooner that you think!
Reply 4
Does it hurt any less after a day or two, it is painful when u wake up on a morning with it. All my friends hav told me that they hav never seen me so quiet with it in, I don't talk at all in lessons anymore either

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
So today, at age 15, I got a twin block brace and Im required to wear it for 20 hours. I am one of the leading actors in my school and I love it alot. However, this new brace means that I can barely speak and saliva builds up quickly. I am severly self conscious about it and though i am usually an extroverted person I am worried that I will be less talkative and bubbly. I must wear it for 6 months. It's getting me really down. Any advice/experiences?:smile:

I have a twin block brace and I've had it for about 4 months. I admit they are annoying but you do learn to speak again and it does get better! I know you posted this a while ago but I'm relived that someone has these braces and they are not 10 or 11! I'm 14 and I got mine just before I became 14 and I have a few months left with them till I get a fixed appliance.

Quick Reply