The Student Room Group

AS Economics AQA unit -1 (2014 May)

Scroll to see replies

What did everyone put on the last multi choice?! Was it elastic suppy?
Reply 41
I used ongoing ankylosis and overall evaluation but I'm worried that because I talked about buffer stocks to have a stable price for the farmers that I won't get marks and the essay flopped... I did talk about market forces and how they wouldn't allocate resources. Am I doomed???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Thevasil
I used ongoing ankylosis and overall evaluation but I'm worried that because I talked about buffer stocks to have a stable price for the farmers that I won't get marks and the essay flopped... I did talk about market forces and how they wouldn't allocate resources. Am I doomed???

Posted from TSR Mobile

i don't think you needed to talk about buffer stocks, because it wouldn't have had much relevance- the text didn't say that prices were rising too high, it only said that supply was being used for biofuels
Original post by Mike34
Hey

does anyone know when the paper will be out ?

Lol quite a while as ppl around the world.may have not done the.exam yet but you can,probably find it illegally after about a day,or so
Original post by Economicsgirl08

I put inelastic supply.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 45
So what do you think I could hope for out of 25?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arsenalfc97
i mean for 12 marker

oh yeah, yes correct

All that analysis with a diagram and definition should be 12 marks easy
Original post by yuvalpesh123
oh yeah, yes correct

All that analysis with a diagram and definition should be 12 marks easy

fot context 1, if your argument was mainly that they should intervene,- i wrote 3 pages on why they should intervene, and 1 on why they shouldn't because i thought that they should defo intervene, would you lose marks? i also evaluated fully all my points
Reply 48
I did context 1 5 mark did it with ease, 8 mark was quite straight forward, 12 mark i drew supply and demand with demand going outwards and defined demand and supply, 3 points of comparison just all about the 25 marker! i wrote definition government intervention, market failure, i wrote about unequal distribution of wealth opportunity cost on the poorer people i stated that biofuels generate negative externalities, also drew a subsidy diagram as it stated in extract C that the government have provided subsidies, used 4-5 other prompts and drew buffer stocks, talked about government failure information failure unintended consequences, market mechanism and used a few other points from the extracts.... how many marks you think i will get?
Reply 49
Original post by mo76
I did context 1 5 mark did it with ease, 8 mark was quite straight forward, 12 mark i drew supply and demand with demand going outwards and defined demand and supply, 3 points of comparison just all about the 25 marker! i wrote definition government intervention, market failure, i wrote about unequal distribution of wealth opportunity cost on the poorer people i stated that biofuels generate negative externalities, also drew a subsidy diagram as it stated in extract C that the government have provided subsidies, used 4-5 other prompts and drew buffer stocks, talked about government failure information failure unintended consequences, market mechanism and used a few other points from the extracts.... how many marks you think i will get?

Yeah I talked about buffer stock stabilising prices which increases farmers future income and optimism. Then about the costs of storage and information failures. But I don't know if it was relevant. Will I get marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by H0PEL3SS
I put inelastic supply.

The question had nothing to do with supply. It talked about incidence of tax being passed on, so I put unitary elasticity of demand.
Original post by Economicsgirl08

I heard it was elastic supply :smile:
Reply 52
Yeah I talked about buffer stock stabilising prices which increases farmers future income and optimism. Then about the costs of storage and information failures. But I don't know if it was relevant. Will I get marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats what i want to know!
Reply 53
I didn't talk about any possible government intervention I just wrote about why they should and shouldn't intervene, will I still get marks for it? I'm so worried
Is it just me or did those multiple choice questions seem a bit tougher than the ones in previous years? I usually breeze past them during mock runs but quite a few tripped me up, I think I lost more marks than I should've. I opted for the newspaper questions, had no problem at all with the first three but I didn't give myself enough time for the last question, I didn't evaluate as much as I could have or make enough arguments for government intervention so that's gonna cost me.

Gonna predict a B which is shame really because I was banking on getting straight A's at AS in order to give myself more leeway at A2, just gonna have to manage my time better for the next exam.
Original post by Einstein16
The question had nothing to do with supply. It talked about incidence of tax being passed on, so I put unitary elasticity of demand.

Can't be unitary, otherwise the incidence of tax is 50%, when it asked for 100% IOT
Reply 56
So what do you think I could hope for out of 25?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I reckon i got around 21.

I got 12 the first time i sat it and i got a D overall so big improvement expected:biggrin:
Reply 57
did we have to mention different government intervention for the 25 marker? :/ bcos I just wrote how they should and shouldn't intervene :frown: :frown:
Original post by FlowC
did we have to mention different government intervention for the 25 marker? :/ bcos I just wrote how they should and shouldn't intervene :frown: :frown:

I only wrote about that too so don't worry! The question specifically asked something along the lines of 'Evaluate the view that the government SHOULD or SHOULDN'T intervene...' it didn't state anything like evaluate the best way of intervention or policies that the government should use etc. so we should be fine :smile:

Imagine a question asking 'Evaluate the view that humans need food and drink in order to survive', you would talk about the pro's and cons of them, but you wouldn't necessarily need to say what types of food and drink they need because the question doesn't ask that :cool:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 59
I've been panicking all day, I feel quite relieved knowing there's someone on same boat as me..!!! thank u for replying :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest