The Student Room Group

Fooball player gay kiss shocker

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jam278
:rofl:

Ah man that's stress.

The comments are stress too! Youtube is bad but those comments are different level!
Like one of the youtube comments...

"The "outrage" over the gay kiss totally proves racism is finally over. Not one person has said anything negative on them being a interracial couple. Good job internet anons, you're actually making progress with your hate!"
Reply 22
Someone quoted Leviticus in the youtube comments. Wow.
Original post by scrotgrot

It's crazy how quickly gay rights have moved in the 1990s and 2000s. It was only 10 years ago I remember there being a big to-do about a gay kiss in Corrie - no outright hate but much comment and anticipation - and it was only in 1989 that a gay kiss (no tongues) was shown on TV at all.

Definitely. And I think it's really been in the last 5 years that we've seen a gay rights explosion, it's like it reached a critical mass or a tipping point, and something shifted in the culture from the old conception (both of the self-conception gay community and the conception of the general population) of gay people being "queer" and different, probably into drag and maybe HIV positive, to a view of gay guys being just like other guys but with a same-sex attraction.

I think the way gay guys view themselves has changed to, they don't feel like outsiders looking in. Some gay guys have lamented this, they believe that homosexuality must be transgressive and they abhor gay marriage because they see it as "selling out" to the "heteronormative patriarchy". But when it comes down to it, the majority of gay guys want to have a normal, respectable life; to go to university, to get a good job, meet a nice chap, maybe get marred, maybe have some kids or maybe not. Homosexuality was something dire 30 years ago, many men stayed in the closet and even married rather than deal with the awful abuse and social exclusion that followed coming out of the closet. Any hope at a respectable, professional career was unrealistic. That has changed, and I'm so thrilled that it happened at the time I was entering adulthood. My generation of gay guys will be the first in history to have real choices, real freedom. That's a great accomplishment for this society
(edited 9 years ago)
So despite the fact that he said two days ago he was going to 'focus on football' and 'get out of the spotlight', he has now signed up for an Oprah Winfrey documentary that will film during camp. Way to win over your critics dude.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278
Someone quoted Leviticus in the youtube comments. Wow.

Lol, that's you tube for you. I think despite the backlash in criticism and negative comments, the fact that this guy was promoted shows progress.
Reply 26
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
So despite the fact that he said two days ago he was going to 'focus on football' and 'get out of the spotlight', he has now signed up for an Oprah Winfrey documentary that will film during camp. Way to win over your critics dude.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lul.

The guy is a bit of a hypocrite but since he was picked late in the draft then he's not going to play as you say. He's probably better off getting in the spotlight and promoting gay people to play sports than just sitting on a bench or never getting picked.
Original post by MostUncivilised
Michael Sam, the openly gay American football player, was picked in the NFL Draft (the means by which players get a place on the professional teams). The camera's captured the joyous moment, and he kissed his boyfriend. Cue Conservative outrage, that this disgusting homosexual fornication was broadcast on television.

[video="youtube;nW-_fFdkegs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW-_fFdkegs[/video]

What is your view? Should Michael Sam be prevented from playing in the NFL, lest he infect it with homosexuality? Should this outrageous expression of same-gender kissing have been censored to protect the children?

which positon is he playing, I don't know the names, but is it the one that bends in front of the quarterback? - to be frank why is there such fuss- if you were a gay man surely sport like American football and Rugby would be your ideal sport, lots of contact, naked men in the shower etc. ? Im als surprised why no one asked why the black gay man is dating a white, and ignoring his black counterparts, same way black straight men in America ignore black women.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278
lul.

The guy is a bit of a hypocrite but since he was picked late in the draft then he's not going to play as you say. He's probably better off getting in the spotlight and promoting gay people to play sports than just sitting on a bench or never getting picked.

If I was him I'd be doing exactly the same

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LightBlueSoldier

His "critics"? The only people who were criticising him were homophobic douchebags, and he's never going to win them over anyway.

This guy probably isn't the sharpest tool in the shed (i.e. he's not going to law school any time soon, or becoming an engineer), and his football career may well be short; it is smart to make as much money as possible in the shortest period possible and set yourself up for life. In that vein, the guy's very smart to take up any opportunity to raise his profile and rake in the dosh.

The way he's responding to the spotlight is the same as any other player would if they had that opportunity, these guys tend to be a bit self-centred. He also took a big risk by coming out as the first gay player. There is a commensurate reward with the risk that entailed. In short, give him a break!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MostUncivilised
His "critics"? The only people who were criticising him were homophobic douchebags, and he's never going to win them over anyway.

This guy probably isn't the sharpest tool in the shed (i.e. he's not going to law school any time soon, or becoming an engineer), and his football career may well be short; it is smart to make as much money as possible in the shortest period possible and set yourself up for life. In that vein, the guy's very smart to take up any opportunity to raise his profile and rake in the dosh.

The way he's responding to the spotlight is the same as any other player would if they had that opportunity, these guys tend to be a bit self-centred. He also took a big risk by coming out as the first gay player. There is a commensurate reward with the risk that entailed. In short, give him a break!

There are a lot of people who are cynical about his motivations to come out (and that has turned into virtually everyone with the way he's been acting since getting drafted). There is a distinct possibility that he will be cut without even getting a camp opportunity at the rate he's going. It has been increasingly clear that he came out primarily to make money rather than promote gay rights (nothing wrong with that motivation but it certainly isn't what he's been claiming).

He really didn't take a big risk by coming out. If anything he left teams no option but to draft him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending