The Student Room Group

AQA AS EnglishLanguageB- Categorising texts

My exam is on wednesday and our teachers have been useless in teaching us how to group, what the best group 'titles' are and a structure on how to write. If somebody who knows or got a good grade on this exam before could help me I'd really appreciate it! My target is an A and it's not going to happen right now!
Reply 1
Have you been taught to TRAMP the texts? Topic, Register, Audience, Mode, Purpose?
I've been taught GRASP: genre, register, audience. subject and purpose.

Also you can group based on Linguistic methods: Graphology or Lexis. :] or even pronouns.

Good luck.

Also what do you find easier? Language and gender or Power??
Reply 3
Oh okay, no I haven't been taught any of them -
I think i find language and power easier1
Original post by imalouski
Oh okay, no I haven't been taught any of them -
I think i find language and power easier1

Ah and really? I find that hard:frown: can you tell me some key points on Power?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a second year resitting tomrrow, can someone please reimind me of the timings for planning, categorisings texts and social contexts please? (Good luck to everyone sitting the exam!)
Original post by tildadoody
I'm a second year resitting tomrrow, can someone please reimind me of the timings for planning, categorisings texts and social contexts please? (Good luck to everyone sitting the exam!)

Its 1 hour altogether for Categorising Texts and 15 mins planning

I think its the same for Social contexts too

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's FAP (format, audience, purpose) which I always remember because... Well fap :tongue:

You can link on the simplest things, for example graphology, use of pronouns or font. It's the detail you go into, make sure you state how they are similar or how they are different. My teacher has said it'll impress examiners and go some way towards showing that you're a candidate who deserves top marks if you go into how the texts in your groups are different too. It'll also of course work in your favour if you're quite insightful with how you group them - perhaps by pragmatics?

I think I'm ok for tomorrow, my target is a B and I'm confident I may be able to reach that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I'm resitting this tomorrow as well; hopefully the data is nice!
Reply 9
Would anyone mind sharing their language theorists?

Here are my best known ones:

General: Grice, Brown/Levinson, Goffman

Power: Drew/Heritage, Crystal, Fairclough

Tech: Absolutely no idea :dontknow:
Original post by MattH2580

Who is Drew & Crystal?

Posted from TSR Mobile
We do GRAMPS - Genre (is it a book, letter, poster, leaflet?), Register (formal, informal, neutral, mixed), Audience (children, customers) Mode (is the text spontaneous speech, planned speech or written text?) Purpose (to inform, persuade, advise, instruct) and Subject Matter (what the text is discussing).
I find this makes it easy to create different groups. Myteacher says always make a group based on something from GRAMPS (E.g. texts A,C and F are all texts to persuade), within this group you should write the similaritiesand differences of your texts. Never make a group based on a language feature;you’re really limiting yourself as to what you can write.

Original post by MattH2580

For gender I have:
Tannen (difference theory)
Jones (women and house talk/bitching)
Jespersen (women's talk is more emotional that grammatical)
Coates (dominance theory)
Howe (men have strategies to gain power, they make it harder for the listener to participate compared to women, who are more active listeners)
Pilkington (men frequently disagree/challenge, they engage in verbal sparring such as banter)

As for power I'm a bit stuffed, I can remember Grice's maxims which fits both obviously and then Fairclough's there stage model but if it's not an advert then that'll be hard to apply. So I'm gonna revise tonight but I have to so gender really, unless it's a total pig of a question.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dazzling_Belinda
Who is Drew & Crystal?

Drew & Heritage (1992) spoke about "Institutional talk" - Field specific lexis and jargon surrounding a certain profession.

David Crystal commented that "Influential power uses minor sentences".
Original post by liamlovesolly
So I'm gonna revise tonight but I have to so gender really, unless it's a total pig of a question.

Agreed; Gender is by far my best topic. I could probably wing a power question, because A2 language change links in with power quite a bit, but technology is a complete no-no for me.

Categorizing texts is what I'm having trouble with; Read 7 texts, analyse them and group them within 10 minutes? I can't do that :frown:
Reply 15
For technology you can get AO2 marks for simply saying something like "in my class we found that younger people actually type in a grammatically correct manner when texting..." and then obviously link to context/AO3 and how it supports what you're talking about. You can literally make it up and its still a theory to relate too. Obviously you can't do that for radio or commentaries I don't think
Reply 16
We do GAP- Genre, Audience, Purpose
Original post by liamlovesolly
For gender I have:
Tannen (difference theory)
Jones (women and house talk/bitching)
Jespersen (women's talk is more emotional that grammatical)
Coates (dominance theory)
Howe (men have strategies to gain power, they make it harder for the listener to participate compared to women, who are more active listeners)
Pilkington (men frequently disagree/challenge, they engage in verbal sparring such as banter)

As for power I'm a bit stuffed, I can remember Grice's maxims which fits both obviously and then Fairclough's there stage model but if it's not an advert then that'll be hard to apply. So I'm gonna revise tonight but I have to so gender really, unless it's a total pig of a question.

Can you explin grices maxims for meeee?? :frown: completely forgot how to use them!!
Original post by loopylara
Can you explin grices maxims for meeee?? :frown: completely forgot how to use them!!

Paul Grice (1975) outlined 4 maxims which must be adhered to for clear communication and co-operation.

Maxims:

Quantity - Don't say too much or too little; say the right amount.

Quality - Make sure what you're saying is true and not a lie.

Relation - Stay on topic; be relevant. Don't suddenly change the topic for no reason.

Manner - Don't be ambiguous; make sure what you're saying is crystal clear and that there isn't any hidden meaning. Be perspicuous.

Quick Reply

Latest