The Student Room Group

Wednesday 14th May exam: English Language AQA A level

Scroll to see replies

Thanks!! You're great and prepared for this exam:smile:

How would you do the 'planning' section?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
For planning, I usually just write down the GAP of each text and any notable features eg. specific lexical fields, first person pronouns. Once I've done the first two or three texts, I then try to identify similar features in the next texts. So if there was a semantic field in Text A, I'd try looking for a semantic field in Text D and so on. I spend about a minute annotating a text, then move on. Once I've annotated them, I flick through and try to see any interesting groupings that I've come up with and I write them down, along with which texts belong to that group - so I might write down 'Synthetic Personalisation; A C E'. It's probably best to write down your plan near one of the texts. I'd avoid writing on the front cover or by the question itself because I'm not too sure if you're allowed to write there; it's best not to risk it. I'd quickly jot down a plan by Text A.

All you need to do is keep practising! The grouping texts question is rather peculiar, so you just have to keep practising it until you become familiar.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Rarar
For planning, I usually just write down the GAP of each text and any notable features eg. specific lexical fields, first person pronouns. Once I've done the first two or three texts, I then try to identify similar features in the next texts. So if there was a semantic field in Text A, I'd try looking for a semantic field in Text D and so on. I spend about a minute annotating a text, then move on. Once I've annotated them, I flick through and try to see any interesting groupings that I've come up with and I write them down, along with which texts belong to that group - so I might write down 'Synthetic Personalisation; A C E'. It's probably best to write down your plan near one of the texts. I'd avoid writing on the front cover or by the question itself because I'm not too sure if you're allowed to write there; it's best not to risk it. I'd quickly jot down a plan by Text A.

All you need to do is keep practising! The grouping texts question is rather peculiar, so you just have to keep practising it until you become familiar.

I need to practice groupings. Do you think its too late for me as the exam is tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm an A2 and got a high B in the exam 1 mark from an A, but seeing as I got a coursework grade C although I was told it would have been a B i overall came out with a English Language AS Level B bang on the 140 mark. So resitting this exam is the only way, as my lovely english teachers refused to put me in for a resit for the coursework "as its more coursework to mark" ... how supportive. Any one doing technology? It's by far my favourite! And keep calm guys, this exam was on my birthday last year (I know sucker) but I actually enjoyed it :smile:
I'm resitting this, and I don't really know what people mean when they say they use a subgroup. Like you have your overall group, do you then do another little group with the same texts or some of the same texts and another one that isn't in the main grouping?
Original post by dippers
I'm resitting this, and I don't really know what people mean when they say they use a subgroup. Like you have your overall group, do you then do another little group with the same texts or some of the same texts and another one that isn't in the main grouping?

You group some texts together say for the use of spoken discourse. But then you subgroup where some have spontaneous speech features e.g. fillers and the other pre planned :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by dippers

Subgroups are groups inside a group that you can use to show differences/similarities between texts. So you might have a group of texts with formal register, then a subgroup of texts that use latinate lexis to achieve this formality, and another subgroup of texts that use extended syntax, for example. You don't have to include subgroups, but it's good I'd you do because it shows you are aware that the texts can be different from one another.

Also, I forgot to mention earlier; try to group every text at least once. You can group each text more than once, but try to get each text into at least one groupings to show that you have understood the task.

Original post by Dazzling_Belinda
I need to practice groupings. Do you think its too late for me as the exam is tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I don't think it's too late! Just time yourself and familiarise yourself with a variety of texts types so you'll be able to recognise specific types of texts for tomorrow.
Original post by corrgeorgia
You group some texts together say for the use of spoken discourse. But then you subgroup where some have spontaneous speech features e.g. fillers and the other pre planned :smile:

So when you subgroup, you only talk about those in the main group where a few of them may have similar features?
Reply 48
Original post by dippers
So when you subgroup, you only talk about those in the main group where a few of them may have similar features?

Yes, only the texts within the main group go into a subgroup. Hope this helped! :smile:
I've always felt confident up and till now, you've all made me feel nervous :frown:

Got A's in practice papers though.
Original post by Rarar
Yes, only the texts within the main group go into a subgroup. Hope this helped! :smile:

Yes thank you!
Oh and like I've heard it's best to do 3 grouping with different texts, would you use the same text twice in another grouping?
Reply 52
Forget to say; if, like me, you're debating whtehr to do Gender or another question, I'd recommend probably only doing Gender if the text is really stereotypical/discriminatory towards women. Last year's text was an advert aimed at men, so it was pretty hard to get theory in. I'd only do Gender if it was something along the lines of the Mills and Boon book from a few years back. I'd revise Power/Technology and have Gender as my backup in case the other texts were awful.

Original post by angelfox
I've always felt confident up and till now, you've all made me feel nervous :frown:

Got A's in practice papers though.

You can still get that A! Just answer the question in the way that works for you and hits those top bands. Keep calm and stay confident. There's no right or wrong way to approach this paper; you just have to interpret the texts in your own way.

Original post by dippers
Oh and like I've heard it's best to do 3 grouping with different texts, would you use the same text twice in another grouping?

Yeah, you can use the same text twice or more, but try to make sure that you use all the texts at least once. Don't keep relying on the same text(s) for each grouping because it will seen like you're being lazy.
(edited 9 years ago)
Couldn't have said it better!!
Reply 54
If anyone needs any help with explanation of grammar, Power, Gender etc for the exam, PM me - I'd be happy to help! Only thing I can't hep you with is Technology, because I haven't studied that! :biggrin:
From looking at past paper questions what does everyone predict that might come up on the Power question? Last year was it a speech from a headteacher?

I predict it might be a transcript. What does anyone else think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
Original post by Dazzling_Belinda
From looking at past paper questions what does everyone predict that might come up on the Power question? Last year was it a speech from a headteacher?

I predict it might be a transcript. What does anyone else think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I *hope* that it's a transcript, but I don't think it will be because I don't think that they tend to do two transcripts in a row...but hey, I might be wrong!
Can someone give me just a brief overview of the power theories please? :smile:
Original post by Rarar
I *hope* that it's a transcript, but I don't think it will be because I don't think that they tend to do two transcripts in a row...but hey, I might be wrong!

Ohh but that was like a speech
Not two people talking

What is it called when one person is just speaking? Something like transctional.
Idk

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone learnt about political language and rhetorical strategies for power?
Eg like anaphora and antistrophe

What are the effects of using these for power?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest