The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Review 3 over and assignment handed in. My tutor says I should come out as an outstanding trainee! I'm not fussed if I'm good or outstanding to be honest but it's nice to know.

Once the tutor observes me on Tuesday I'll just be counting the days down then. 22 teaching days left!
Teaching over! I got graded 'Good' which I'm so happy about considering I was on Cause for Concern for some time - had a crap tutor but amazing mentor. Got to go school in a week for two weeks tondo some other things but not teach. So for me it's more or less over. Now for finding that job!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by qwerty_mad
Teaching over! I got graded 'Good' which I'm so happy about considering I was on Cause for Concern for some time - had a crap tutor but amazing mentor. Got to go school in a week for two weeks tondo some other things but not teach. So for me it's more or less over. Now for finding that job!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats!!
Two weeks to go, I am overwhelmed with my work load at this point. Just don't know where to start.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Six weeks to go. I have both my SLT and ULT doing two seperate observations on Monday. It's taking me so long to plan and resource those I've not even started on the rest of the week yet! I've decided I'm not going to do my NQT year in September but even the thought of another six weeks of this makes me feel sick.
I've been told that I should 'take some risks' now by my tutor as she said I've already got a job, should come out outstanding and that it's time to experiment but I don't really know what this means.

For my lesson on Tuesday she is coming to see I have just planned it - I think all my tasks link to the objective, are clear and pitched right for the class but I don't think it's particularly risky or exciting. We are constantly told all that matters is to show progress and how you get there is up to you yet we're then told we need to take risks, create a buzz about the lesson and make everything engaging. Which is more important?
Original post by Sarang_assa
Six weeks to go. I have both my SLT and ULT doing two seperate observations on Monday. It's taking me so long to plan and resource those I've not even started on the rest of the week yet! I've decided I'm not going to do my NQT year in September but even the thought of another six weeks of this makes me feel sick.

Why is SLT observing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Steveluis10
I've been told that I should 'take some risks' now by my tutor as she said I've already got a job, should come out outstanding and that it's time to experiment but I don't really know what this means.

For my lesson on Tuesday she is coming to see I have just planned it - I think all my tasks link to the objective, are clear and pitched right for the class but I don't think it's particularly risky or exciting. We are constantly told all that matters is to show progress and how you get there is up to you yet we're then told we need to take risks, create a buzz about the lesson and make everything engaging. Which is more important?

Both, you need to engage AND show progress. Which is why it's so hard.
Original post by Sarang_assa

Join the club, I think we are going through a phase, I'm dreading the last few weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Steveluis10

By take risks she doesn't necessarily mean name the lesson crazy/exciting in itself. She just means try different things and that might include a more exciting lesson.

Yes you want to show progress but that can be delivered in a variety of ways depending on the thing you're teaching. For example, I did a pretend Friday night dinner for judaism in KS1. It didn't follow the normal "lesson format" but hopefully would be something the children would remember and which would draw their interest. Plus it's fun... Remember they are children and they deserve to enjoy their childhood and learn through that. In terms of your assessment though you're right, progress is key and, for example, the big O can't judge you in teaching methods in themselves.

But risks might be something different. Like re-jigging how you use your time in a lesson, getting the pupils to work together in different ways, working on a longer project across lessons, trying out a new assessment method... Anything that you've heard about in training and gone "Wow, that sounds great!" but not had a chance to try out.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
By take risks she doesn't necessarily mean name the lesson crazy/exciting in itself. She just means try different things and that might include a more exciting lesson.

Yes you want to show progress but that can be delivered in a variety of ways depending on the thing you're teaching. For example, I did a pretend Friday night dinner for judaism in KS1. It didn't follow the normal "lesson format" but hopefully would be something the children would remember and which would draw their interest. Plus it's fun... Remember they are children and they deserve to enjoy their childhood and learn through that. In terms of your assessment though you're right, progress is key and, for example, the big O can't judge you in teaching methods in themselves.

But risks might be something different. Like re-jigging how you use your time in a lesson, getting the pupils to work together in different ways, working on a longer project across lessons, trying out a new assessment method... Anything that you've heard about in training and gone "Wow, that sounds great!" but not had a chance to try out.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

That Judaism lesson sounds amazing btw! Stealing that idea when I next have to teach RE :biggrin: (I don't really enjoy teaching RE so atm I teach both classes in my year group English and the other teacher does the RE in both classes).

I agree, it's definitely worth breaking away from traditional lesson formats sometimes. I have done French/Spanish cafes where I've bought in food, the kids sit in groups and have to order food from the menus. I should do this in English one time.

Another big hit is "treasure hunts" outside. Make and laminate questions about the topic you're currently learning, or as a revision for a longer period, that you hang up outside. They work in groups to find the questions and answer them (I make answer sheets with the correct number of questions so they know how many they have to find). This can work with all ages, and you can make it a map-reading exercise as well.

Walking dictation is another cool activity. I hang words or texts outside the classroom and they have to walk out, "collect" the word and come back and write it down. Helps to have an assistant outside the room if you're worried about behaviour.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Piggsil
That Judaism lesson sounds amazing btw! Stealing that idea when I next have to teach RE :biggrin: (I don't really enjoy teaching RE so atm I teach both classes in my year group English and the other teacher does the RE in both classes).

I got it from a lady who came in to our PGCE. She leads them herself in the Norfolk area for money and she did it lots better than me lol! But it was a fun activity, we talked about the prayers used, lit a candle, tasted 'wine' (grape juice) and shared bread and did a dance at the end.

xxx
Soooo..... after 33 application forms and 6 interviews I finally got my job. Very-very pleased.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lantan
Soooo..... after 33 application forms and 6 interviews I finally got my job. Very-very pleased.

Congratulations! :biggrin:
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Congratulations! :biggrin:

Thanks!!:colondollar:
Original post by lantan

Well done :smile: that's a lot of applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pgce2013

Well done to you too! It's the season for job interviews.
Yay well done guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pgce2013
Well done :smile: that's a lot of applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is! This weekend I completed 8 and thought of shooting myself as it was so tedious. In a sense I much prefer the actual interviews as they are exciting - and get progressively easier as you go along. In my today's interview I wasn't the least bit nervous - I just couldn't care after doing so many of them... Did you feel anything similar? How many interviews/applications have you done? Just curious! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending