The Student Room Group

CCEA English Literature A-Level

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by CeeJay96

I haven't done a whole lot for Catcher/Outsider, but I'm pretty much just summarising old essays I've done into short(ish) essay plans, and then adding to them.

I try to make other some points on literary and socio-historical context and connect them to method/comparison points that I've made in some of the essay plans too.

I would really recommend doing some essay practice then, because it takes a little while getting your head around the comparative aspects of both these books. As long as you constantly use outsider synonyms/words in every point you make eg. individual, estranged, ostracised, non-conformist etc. and stick to the KTs of the question you should get a decent mark.

I just feel totally hopeless and helpless haha! it's a pity that english isn't even creative in the fact that you can't write an essay totally by what comes to mind, you have to stick to mark schemes and AO's... :bricks::cry2:
Good luck guys! I'm currently trying to learn essay plans and then do some timed essays maybe.

What also sucks about English is that one question can change everything.
I know it's highly unlikely that what I've exactly learnt will come up, but I'll be happy with something similar that I could bring my arguments into. Bricking it - English something I actually enjoy and want to do well in which is even more annoying!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 182
Original post by mariacass96
Hi everyone! Does anybody have any predictions for King Lear/ Burial at Thebes or Jane Eyre/ Wide Sargasso Sea? Seriously stressing here! :frown:

My teacher seems to think that a question on Antigone/Cordelia and tragic heroine is likely to come up. Thankfully thats the same contextual information as tragic hero, so you can revise for it at the same time as Lear/Creon. I did a practise essay for tragic heroine yesterday, and came to the conclusion that Cordelia is more of a tragic heroine than Antigone

Noble & Admirable Qualities: Both have this criteria

Flaw/Hubris/Hamartia:
Cordelia is unable to display affection, and is stubborn in that she wont just appease her father. She also leaves her father with sisters she know have lied about their affections. Antigone is stubborn in refusing to see any other viewpoints & she is seems to have ego "I am like Niobe", seeing herself as of a divine level. These lead to their downfalls. So they are still on equal footing on how much of a tragic heroine they are at this point.

Peripeteia:
Cordelia is disowned and loses her dowry. Antigone is sentenced to death. still equal.

Anagnorisis:
Cordelia learns how to show emotion and affection, and seeks to help her father after his treatment by her sisters. Antigone does not seem to have any form of insight or epiphany, so here is where Cordelia is shown to be more of a tragic heroine than Antigone.

Catharsis:
Cordelia dies despite having been a character of good, this insights pity in the audience due to simply the death, and fear in how she dies despite being a good character, getting the same fate as the evil characters Edmund, Goneril, and Regan, and arguably Lear. This suggests that the universe does not have a divine order and design and insights fear in the audience. It is harder to say that there is catharsis in reaction to Antigones fate, as she set out to do her task with full knowledge of what will happen as a result of it. She also shows pride and no fear in the idea of going down to the underworld "with head held high". Though it can be argued that it was not really her choice, but her fate due to the family curse being the child of Oedipus; "I retrace that fatal line and the ghastly love I sprang from." and the comments of the Chorus "Fate finds strange ways to fulfil its ends." But, despite this, I concluded that Cordelia is still more deserving of being called a tragic heroine than Antigone.

The paper this question is from is Jan 2011 btw.

I think my essay may have been a bit too narrative for its own health though, so i need to pay attention to avoiding that in the exam. Also need to ensure i keep bringing it back to the key terms of the question, but i think i was ok on that front.

I think the main areas you need to have knowledge about are (for any possible question)

Divine order and design (Gods etc)

Tragic hero/heroine

Tragic ending/suffering (Peripeteia/Anagnorisis/Catharsis)

Modern audiences

Greek/Shakespearean tragedy

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lkln
My teacher seems to think that a question on Antigone/Cordelia and tragic heroine is likely to come up. Thankfully thats the same contextual information as tragic hero, so you can revise for it at the same time as Lear/Creon. I did a practise essay for tragic heroine yesterday, and came to the conclusion that Cordelia is more of a tragic heroine than Antigone

Noble & Admirable Qualities: Both have this criteria

Flaw/Hubris/Hamartia:
Cordelia is unable to display affection, and is stubborn in that she wont just appease her father. She also leaves her father with sisters she know have lied about their affections. Antigone is stubborn in refusing to see any other viewpoints & she is seems to have ego "I am like Niobe", seeing herself as of a divine level. These lead to their downfalls. So they are still on equal footing on how much of a tragic heroine they are at this point.

Peripeteia:
Cordelia is disowned and loses her dowry. Antigone is sentenced to death. still equal.

Anagnorisis:
Cordelia learns how to show emotion and affection, and seeks to help her father after his treatment by her sisters. Antigone does not seem to have any form of insight or epiphany, so here is where Cordelia is shown to be more of a tragic heroine than Antigone.

Catharsis:
Cordelia dies despite having been a character of good, this insights pity in the audience due to simply the death, and fear in how she dies despite being a good character, getting the same fate as the evil characters Edmund, Goneril, and Regan, and arguably Lear. This suggests that the universe does not have a divine order and design and insights fear in the audience. It is harder to say that there is catharsis in reaction to Antigones fate, as she set out to do her task with full knowledge of what will happen as a result of it. She also shows pride and no fear in the idea of going down to the underworld "with head held high". Though it can be argued that it was not really her choice, but her fate due to the family curse being the child of Oedipus; "I retrace that fatal line and the ghastly love I sprang from." and the comments of the Chorus "Fate finds strange ways to fulfil its ends." But, despite this, I concluded that Cordelia is still more deserving of being called a tragic heroine than Antigone.

The paper this question is from is Jan 2011 btw.

I think my essay may have been a bit too narrative for its own health though, so i need to pay attention to avoiding that in the exam. Also need to ensure i keep bringing it back to the key terms of the question, but i think i was ok on that front.

I think the main areas you need to have knowledge about are (for any possible question)

Divine order and design (Gods etc)

Tragic hero/heroine

Tragic ending/suffering (Peripeteia/Anagnorisis/Catharsis)

Modern audiences

Greek/Shakespearean tragedy

Thanks so much! That was really helpful! For some reason I feel like we're going to get a horrible question on gender issues or something :redface: how are you getting on with your revision? :smile:
Reply 184
Thanks so much! That was really helpful! For some reason I feel like we're going to get a horrible question on gender issues or something :redface: how are you getting on with your revision? :smile:

I think mine is going okay, just finishing a few essay plans then gonna do at least one more essay on Lear/Thebes, and then one on Pardoner just for practise drawing from an extract. If i have time might do a third, but that's pretty much up to what procrastination feels like allowing.

Will probably end the day just trying to learn off quotes I think are applicable more generally to any type of question, so I'll always have them as a back up if something more focused fails to come to mind during the exam.

The hardest part will probably be coming home from the exam and forcing myself to continue revision on A2 2, instead of getting lazy :P .
Original post by lkln
I think mine is going okay, just finishing a few essay plans then gonna do at least one more essay on Lear/Thebes, and then one on Pardoner just for practise drawing from an extract. If i have time might do a third, but that's pretty much up to what procrastination feels like allowing.

Will probably end the day just trying to learn off quotes I think are applicable more generally to any type of question, so I'll always have them as a back up if something more focused fails to come to mind during the exam.

The hardest part will probably be coming home from the exam and forcing myself to continue revision on A2 2, instead of getting lazy :P .

Oh gosh, you seem so motivated! :redface: we do rape of the lock but I feel quite confident for it! Do you do Jane eyre and wide sargasso sea? My problem is that I have two exams on Thursday so it's gonna be difficult trying to fit in time to do everything :frown:
Reply 186
Oh gosh, you seem so motivated! :redface: we do rape of the lock but I feel quite confident for it! Do you do Jane eyre and wide sargasso sea? My problem is that I have two exams on Thursday so it's gonna be difficult trying to fit in time to do everything :frown:

I do Catcher and Outsider, but feel pretty confident on them as I've read them both a few times over just to know the material well. Thing is, I repeated my AS Level year so I guess that's pretty good motivation for wanted to get this year done well. Having needed to redo the AS exam a few times to get up to an A, I realised that i probably need a fair amount of work to get an A first time round here.

Luckily I just have English exams this week, and after that at least 5 days between each exam, so I guess I got lucky this year.
I'm doing OCR not CCEA but the exams still on Jane Eyre
How are you guys revising? I've left it too late (procrastination and distractions):frown:
Any tips?
I havent really done anything on Jane eyre yet tbh but Im just learning quotes. Thankfully my English teacher also teaches history and she's done a lot of work with us on historical and literary context.
Original post by 1D - Belieber
I'm doing OCR not CCEA but the exams still on Jane Eyre
How are you guys revising? I've left it too late (procrastination and distractions):frown:
Any tips?

What does your exam consist of?
What does your exam consist of?

We have two sections; poetry and prose each worth 30 marks
for poetry I'm doing Edward Thomas and Jane Eyre for prose
Original post by 1D - Belieber
We have two sections; poetry and prose each worth 30 marks
for poetry I'm doing Edward Thomas and Jane Eyre for prose

I just think that Jane Eyre is ridiculously long, and we have to compare it to Wide Sargasso Sea.
How do you guys remember everything? I feel like my minds going to go blank tomorrow, having the memory of a goldfish does not help either!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just think that Jane Eyre is ridiculously long, and we have to compare it to Wide Sargasso Sea.

with ocr there is no comparison its two different sections
Is the pardoner's tale written in iambic pentameter?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone got Chaucer predictions?
Original post by Zadeth
Anyone got Chaucer predictions?

Hoping something about the corruption of pardoners or something about sinning/death??? How can we be sure of anything though :frown:
What're you hoping will come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Procrastinator123
Hoping something about the corruption of pardoners or something about sinning/death??? How can we be sure of anything though :frown:
What're you hoping will come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm thinking corruption of Pardoners as it was last up in Jan 2013. Sin and Medieval Pardoners were up in Jan and Death + Preaching were up last year. I'm revising Corruption and the sins of drunkenness and gluttony.
Good luck tomorrow everyone! I hope it's what you've revised! :smile:
Reply 199
any predictions for chaucer tomorrow??? i'm thinking morality tale (which i have not learnt) and then either the corruption of church/pardoner or maybe preaching

for satire im thinking the nature and purpose of satire because modern readers come up 3 times in the last 2 years

also does anyone do childhood for A22 and have any predictions whatsoever - thinking it might be a literary themed question

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending