The Student Room Group

Wednesday 14th May exam: English Language AQA A level

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Baf1
Does anyone have a example of a grade B language and gender essay? I want to look at some good examples of essays please thank you.

i have an example, i got my essay back this morning off my teacher and i got a B Grade yay
Reply 81
Yeh I'm aiming for an a or b ,Thanks
What would you include in mode / representation :smile:
Reply 82
Original post by Watfordjunction
I have been told to do one group from GAP, one on mode/representation and then one on lexis/syntax/grammar etc :smile:)

i'm aiming for b/a :smile:

[INDENT]Yeh I'm aiming for an a or b ,Thanks
What would you include in mode / representation

Reply 83
Original post by Watfordjunction
I have been told to do one group from GAP, one on mode/representation and then one on lexis/syntax/grammar etc :smile:)

i'm aiming for b/a :smile:

I'd advise you not to go into the exam with the idea of grouping texts a certain way; you'll end up trying to force the texts to fit your ideas and your analysis won't be as detailed. I'd recommend that you have these frameworks in mind, but don't necessarily force yourself to stick to these groupings.

Original post by Baf1
Is it a good idea to group by audience purpose and mode? Also can you sub group within the group like for audience you could talk about how semantics like figurative language is directed at the audience or how grammar like clauses and phrases help achieves the texts purpose?

Personally, I've never grouped by GAP because I feel that the group gets too broad that way. I usually group by a section of a framework (eg. lexis - specific terminology) and then relate GAP to linguistic feature mentioned; how does the specific terminology relate to purpose? How does jargon relate to audience?
Reply 84
Could I see it if you don't mind?
Reply 85
Original post by lalalife
i have an example, i got my essay back this morning off my teacher and i got a B Grade yay

Could I please see it? If that is ok with you.
Reply 86
I've got my English tomorrow too! I'm okay on it, but section B, i've chosen to focus on Language and Power, but I'm not sure if there is anything specific I need to learn! And how I can say technology has effected the language....
Reply 87
Original post by Baf1
Could I please see it? If that is ok with you.

It's really confusing sorry ImageUploadedByStudent Room1400001605.317985.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1400001624.766648.jpg I hope this is ok to under stand if not I will quickly type it up for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hate this
Reply 89
Original post by Rarar
I'd advise you not to go into the exam with the idea of grouping texts a certain way; you'll end up trying to force the texts to fit your ideas and your analysis won't be as detailed. I'd recommend that you have these frameworks in mind, but don't necessarily force yourself to stick to these groupings.

Personally, I've never grouped by GAP because I feel that the group gets too broad that way. I usually group by a section of a framework (eg. lexis - specific terminology) and then relate GAP to linguistic feature mentioned; how does the specific terminology relate to purpose? How does jargon relate to audience?

So I should group with lets say semantics then subgroup with field specific lexis or figurative language and say how it relates to the purpose okay I get it thanks :smile:
Original post by Latoya

Yeh I'm aiming for an a or b ,Thanks
What would you include in mode / representation

I usually stick to mode, so written/spoken, represntations or spontaneous speech :smile:
Reply 91
It's really confusing sorry ImageUploadedByStudent Room1400001605.317985.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1400001624.766648.jpg I hope this is ok to under stand if not I will quickly type it up for you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for showing me your essay it's REALLY generous of you and your essay was very good. I guess I just need to be clear when writing down my ideas and I'm just going to stick to point [linguistic feature] evidence
and explanation while suggesting theories then link it back to the answer :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 92
This was the extract!! ImageUploadedByStudent Room1400001802.067070.jpgAnd sorry my writing is awful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rswk
How do I include sub groups within the paragraphs?

I would say something like... "Text A, B and C all use imperatives in their language choices. Text A uses the imperative "chop" in "chop the carrots" to help to aid the reader in their instructions whilst reading the recipe" etc. etc. And then you could say "Differently, Text B uses the imperative "help" in "help the children" to persuade the audience in donating to the charity" etc. etc.

So you can reference the similarities and differences between the purpose, audience and/or genre during the paragraph. If you incorporate it in naturally to the paragraph, this will get you more for being systematic :smile:

(p.s sorry for my awful examples of the texts, just made them up on the spot :lol: )
Original post by Rarar

Personally, I've never grouped by GAP because I feel that the group gets too broad that way.

Yeah, don't group with GAP. Mention it in relation to your groups though :yep:
Original post by Salts
I've got my English tomorrow too! I'm okay on it, but section B, i've chosen to focus on Language and Power, but I'm not sure if there is anything specific I need to learn! And how I can say technology has effected the language....

For power, always try and put in modality. Epistemic modality/modal verbs being "will" and "must". Deontic modality/modal verbs being "could", "should", "can" etc. :smile: Epistemic modality is stronger and more powerful as it leaves the audience with little possibility.

They'll get you some good marks for grammar :smile:
This was the extract!! ImageUploadedByStudent Room1400001802.067070.jpgAnd sorry my writing is awful

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!!!:smile: your writing is soo nice. Mine is soo huge lol & well done for the B. Have you got an essay you've written for Power?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
Original post by Baf1
So I should group with lets say semantics then subgroup with field specific lexis or figurative language and say how it relates to the purpose okay I get it thanks :smile:

Yep, that sounds fine by me! :biggrin:
Reply 98
Original post by saraw26
Hey - I'm in A2 and took this exam last year and got an A. If you want any help, I'll be happy to help :h:

I answered the Power question last year. My groups were pronouns, imperatives and 2 others which I can't remember :tongue:

I would really love some help, I am focusing on the power question and I was wondering what is important to mention and how do I structure it. Also is there any specific linguistic features that I should mention as well?
Original post by Salts
I would really love some help, I am focusing on the power question and I was wondering what is important to mention and how do I structure it. Also is there any specific linguistic features that I should mention as well?

Just replied to your post actually :lol: This is what I put for you...

Original post by saraw26
For power, always try and put in modality. Epistemic modality/modal verbs being "will" and "must". Deontic modality/modal verbs being "could", "should", "can" etc. :smile: Epistemic modality is stronger and more powerful as it leaves the audience with little possibility.

They'll get you some good marks for grammar :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest