The Student Room Group

Does anyone have a GCSE ICT written exam 14th May 2014? What topics to revise?

In my school ICT is cumpolsory this year not only is it just coursework but its a written exam too! I dont really care about this gcse i dont see the point in it but in the end its still a gcse so i really need to pass. What topics will come up??:frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are you on OCR? I'm dreading tomorrows exam, I know nothing because I've been revising using an old spec revision guide, and I cbf to do work tonight, there's just too much to do, 112 pages of A4. Anybody got any tips that I could use to help prepare? I could probably fit inn 2 and a half hours of work tonight
There is so much to revise
Reply 4
Original post by irMike
Are you on OCR? I'm dreading tomorrows exam, I know nothing because I've been revising using an old spec revision guide, and I cbf to do work tonight, there's just too much to do, 112 pages of A4. Anybody got any tips that I could use to help prepare? I could probably fit inn 2 and a half hours of work tonight

Yes ours is OCR too! I seriously have no clue what to revise, ive searched online for past papers and stuff but cant find anything, i have the revision guide but thats about it, all i can say is skim through everything and make flashcards to use on the day. Other than that good luck!
If you are on Edexcel, do not worry. I've never ever revised for the exam and I got 62/80 and 75/80.

Be simple, if you think the answer in your head sounds stupid or is too obvious, it most probably the answer.

The grade boundaries are very low, what did you get in the controlled assessment?
Presuming you are on Edexcel

C=41
B=45
A=49
A*=53
Max UMS:57

THESE ARE FIXED, THEY WILL NOT CHANGE THIS YEAR (because they changed last year, they change every two years).

They'll ask a lot of online safely and stuff. They'll be two six markers, most likely to "discuss" something. They really, is not much to ICT, it is a lot of common sense, I don't know what you are aiming for, but it doesn't take much to get a C.
Reply 6
Original post by Allessandra
Yes ours is OCR too! I seriously have no clue what to revise, ive searched online for past papers and stuff but cant find anything, i have the revision guide but thats about it, all i can say is skim through everything and make flashcards to use on the day. Other than that good luck!
I want to consider the different 8 markers there could be, because they are the killers 100%, but I haven't got a clue where to start. There are past papers here. http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/gcse-ict-j461-j061-from-2012/ But they're all very easy, seems like all the simple topics have been used up and we should expect the difficult ones to come up now
Reply 7
Original post by irMike
I want to consider the different 8 markers there could be, because they are the killers 100%, but I haven't got a clue where to start. There are past papers here. http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/gcse-ict-j461-j061-from-2012/ But they're all very easy, seems like all the simple topics have been used up and we should expect the difficult ones to come up now

Thanks for the paper and Yeah i guess :O i was on bitesize and the amount of revision there is for IT is just....wow its impossible for one to complete that much work in just one night. IT teachers here have been busy with coursework that we have had not ONE revision session for the actual exam. This is all about self study and for me self fail. Its too late for me i tried thats all i can say :frown:
Reply 8
Mine is tomorrow as well
Reply 9
Did you have the pre-release case study? It had all the topics to revise on that.
Reply 10
Original post by jabire3
If you are on Edexcel, do not worry. I've never ever revised for the exam and I got 62/80 and 75/80.

Be simple, if you think the answer in your head sounds stupid or is too obvious, it most probably the answer.

The grade boundaries are very low, what did you get in the controlled assessment?
Presuming you are on Edexcel

C=41
B=45
A=49
A*=53
Max UMS:57

THESE ARE FIXED, THEY WILL NOT CHANGE THIS YEAR (because they changed last year, they change every two years).

They'll ask a lot of online safely and stuff. They'll be two six markers, most likely to "discuss" something. They really, is not much to ICT, it is a lot of common sense, I don't know what you are aiming for, but it doesn't take much to get a C.

Well my controlled assesment was 60marks which is round about A grade. But my exam is my weak spot, unlike some people ICT and me dont go well. Mock exam i only just got into a C by a mark i think. But this tome im going to aim for at least a B cuz if i get a C that will definitely bring my grade down.
Reply 11
Original post by gortz1o1
Did you have the pre-release case study? It had all the topics to revise on that.

Nope, we didnt recieve any case studies :s-smilie:
Nope, we didnt recieve any case studies :s-smilie:

WHATTTTT???? Jeez, http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/165512-unit-r001-pre-release-case-study-june-2014.pdf: That's the link to the one we were given
Well my controlled assesment was 60marks which is round about A grade. But my exam is my weak spot, unlike some people ICT and me dont go well. Mock exam i only just got into a C by a mark i think. But this tome im going to aim for at least a B cuz if i get a C that will definitely bring my grade down.

Controlled Assessment: 60 RAW = 97 UMS

To get a:

A (overall) - 49/80 in the exam (grade A)
B (overall) - 37/80 in the exam (grade D)
C (overall) - 24/80 in the exam (grade F)

Not kidding, that is GCSE ICT for you - all that is according to Edexcel's UMS converter.
Reply 14
Woah the grade boundaries are really low! Are u sure thats definitely the grade boundaries for this year? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Woah the grade boundaries are really low! Are u sure thats definitely the grade boundaries for this year? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very sure, anyways, exam was real easy.. The gender one was a little strange, you had to be sexist to answer it lol
Reply 16
Original post by jabire3
Very sure, anyways, exam was real easy.. The gender one was a little strange, you had to be sexist to answer it lol

Gender? Are you on OCR? I don't remember a Gender question
I found that exam as easy as breathing
Harry your balls out
Original post by irMike
Gender? Are you on OCR? I don't remember a Gender question

Edexcel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending