The Student Room Group

How did everyone find the PSYA1 Psychology AQA Unit 1 Paper 2014?

Hey all, feel free to discuss how you did in the exam ><
also, any prediction for unit 2 next week? Im so scared for it!
I found the way the questions are set out are not as similar to past papers :O
The wording of their questions has changed slightly xD
I hope I didnt do too bad....... I spent so much time revising it :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thought it was easy compared to the previous past papers! Hopefully I did okay. Although I only wrote a page for the essay
Reply 2
I thought it was easy compared to the previous past papers! Hopefully i did okay, although I only wrote a page for the essay
Reply 3
I thought it was quite an average paper. I did loads of past papers leading up to it so found it okay. The only annoying thing was the 12 marker. One of the only things I didn't want to come up was eyewitness testimony and they decide to put a 12 mark question on it (typical!).

Not sure what will come up for unit 2. My advice would be just do loads of past paper to ensure you can tackle any question that comes up.
wow everyone found it pretty easy, damnnnn ><
I liked the 12 marker cuz I wanted EWT to come up! plus i wanted ageEWT to come up so badly, but somehow I ended up using anxiety and misleading info instead for my answer xD
I defo didnt know what to answer for mean and SD ugh i felt so stupid that i got stuck on that question!
anyway, I hope everyone will still do well for unit 2 ^^
i thought it was alright! Although i was a bit stupid and didn't read the bar chart question properly. I am definitely going to find some better revision techniques as my mind went blank a few times :'( Guess i'm gonna be resitting it next year!
Memory (2 MARKS MISSING, though not sure about the exact questions): /36
1a) what is meant by the capacity of memory (1 mark)
1b) what is meant by the duration of memory (1 mark)
2a i) what does the mean suggest about the encoding of information in memory? (2 marks)
2a ii) what does the standard deviation suggest about the results? (2 marks)
2b) write a non-directional hypothesis for this experiment (2 marks)
2c) what experimental design was used in this experiment? evaluate this (1 mark+3 marks)
2d) why might a random sampling technique be better than opportunity sampling? (2 marks)
3) describe the phonological loop and the visio-spatial sketchpad (4 marks)
4) how would you use memory improvement techniques to remember Bowlby's theory? (4 marks)
5) Outline and evaluate research into the accuracy of eye witness testimony (12 marks)

Attachment (all questions & marks complete): /36
6a) tick the appropriate box (1 mark)
6b) name a limitation of a correlation study (2 marks)
6bi) ethical issue with using an observation (2 marks)
6bii) methodological issue with using an observation (2 marks)
7a) what does the table show about the culture variations in attachment? (2 marks) (except for all countries having secure attachment as the most common type)
7b) draw a bar chart to show the insecure attachment types (3 marks)
7c) how is the behaviour of infants with insecure resistant attachment type different from a securely attached infant? (2 marks+2 marks)
8a) outline the learning theory of attachment (4 marks)
8b) outline one or more study which has criticised the learning theory of attachment (4 marks)
9) What are the effects of institutionalisation? (other than aggression) (4 marks)
10) what has research into daycare shown about the child's social relations (4 marks)
11) outline how research into attachment has influenced child-care practices. (4 marks)
/72

any updates on this?
(edited 9 years ago)
It was OK. Mixed answers for the bar chart! It asked for it on insecure attachments. I added insecure resistant and avoided and plotted 3 bars. Other people I know plotted two for each country ABC what about everyone else?!
omg you genius for remembering all :colondollar:
my mind went blank for SD and Mean question! also, i dont think Ive answered the critism for LT very well because I stated harlow monkey's study but I didnt answer it very well to get full marks for that question :/
what did people put for SD and Mean question?! I was so confused....
Also :angry:
What did people put for ethical problem for observation? I felt stupid cuz i put informed consent :l
Original post by FreshGarbage
It was OK. Mixed answers for the bar chart! It asked for it on insecure attachments. I added insecure resistant and avoided and plotted 3 bars. Other people I know plotted two for each country ABC what about everyone else?!

Not sure if I did it right! I was confused too xD aha
I did 2 bars, one for insecure resistant and one for avoidant! I hope its right :frown: cuz I just took a guess! hoping its right.......
Reply 10
Easy! I recon I got 66 as I had time at the end for marking. I really wanted EWT to come up too I spouted out 10 different studies out of 12 I had. I just hope that Jacobs did do research into daycare.
Reply 11
Original post by officialcatface
my mind went blank for SD and Mean question! also, i dont think Ive answered the critism for LT very well because I stated harlow monkey's study but I didnt answer it very well to get full marks for that question :/
What did people put for ethical problem for observation? I felt stupid cuz i put informed consent :l

Informed consent is the best ethical issue you could have put :smile:
In relation to the bar chart question, I just plotted all three types of attachment for all : countries, labelled the axis and gave the chart a title so hopefully that'll count for something

For the 12 marker I could only think of 2 studies - loftus&palmer & Poole, but I have 3/4 s&w each so that should hopefully carry me through :smile:

For the question about disproving SLT I used harlows monkeys and brazelton (I think that was their name atleast!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

The mean question was pretty straightforward - information is encoded acoustically in short term memory (just how Baddeley found).
The standard deviation question was one that put me off. It's an unsual question. I do maths a level and in maths standard deviation measures how dispersed the data is. So that's what I wrote. I just wrote that one group's (acoustically similar one) data was more dispersed. But I don't know if that's what they were after because I just wrote what the standard deviations literally show about the data. I'm assuming they were after something about the standard deviation in context with the stem? anyway, it was a weird question
wow everyone found it pretty easy, damnnnn ><
I liked the 12 marker cuz I wanted EWT to come up! plus i wanted ageEWT to come up so badly, but somehow I ended up using anxiety and misleading info instead for my answer xD
I defo didnt know what to answer for mean and SD ugh i felt so stupid that i got stuck on that question!
anyway, I hope everyone will still do well for unit 2 ^^

For mean you could have said that we encode information better semantically than acoustically in STM. That's why the words that sounded the same had less mean.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the 12 marker I was so happy. I started off with Parker and Caranza (Age) and outlined it. I then evaluated it by saying it was a lab study so had low ecological validity. I then went on to Yarmey and outlined his study and evaluated it with anastasi and Rhodes own age bias. Then I went on to anxiety and wrote about valentines study and evaluated it with deffenbachers inverted u theory. Then I did Johnson and Scott's weapon focus effect and evaluated it with loftus' experiment on how eye witnesses' eye movements were more towards the weapon rather than the perpetrators face.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tabmax22
The mean question was pretty straightforward - information is encoded acoustically in short term memory (just how Baddeley found).
The standard deviation question was one that put me off. It's an unsual question. I do maths a level and in maths standard deviation measures how dispersed the data is. So that's what I wrote. I just wrote that one group's (acoustically similar one) data was more dispersed. But I don't know if that's what they were after because I just wrote what the standard deviations literally show about the data. I'm assuming they were after something about the standard deviation in context with the stem? anyway, it was a weird question

yes it was an unusual question :/ ugh, that was the only question that really stopped me and think 'omg im stuck!' xD
ugh if thats what you put for the mean question, then i must've been wrong! :frown: oh well, its because they usually ask you what the table shows.... but today it was different :/

I just wrote something along the 'range' and linked it back to stem.... but i think youre properly right, and hopefully ill atleast get 1 mark for what I put :frown:
thanks for sharing your answer!
Reply 17
I plotted secure and insecure for the bar chart - i feel so stupid!!! do you think they'll give me 0 marks or just make me lose a mark?
Reply 18
Original post by tabmax22
Memory (2 MARKS MISSING, though not sure about the exact questions): /36
1a) what is meant by the capacity of memory (1 mark)
1b) what is meant by the duration of memory (1 mark)
2a i) what does the mean suggest about the encoding of information in memory? (2 marks)
2a ii) what does the standard deviation suggest about the results? (2 marks)
2b) write a non-directional hypothesis for this experiment (2 marks)
2c) what experimental design was used in this experiment? evaluate this (1 mark+3 marks)
2d) why might a random sampling technique be better than opportunity sampling? (2 marks)
3) describe the phonological loop and the visio-spatial sketchpad (4 marks)
4) how would you use memory improvement techniques to remember Bowlby's theory? (4 marks)
5) Outline and evaluate research into the accuracy of eye witness testimony (12 marks)

Attachment (all questions & marks complete): /36
6a) tick the appropriate box (1 mark)
6b) name a limitation of a correlation study (2 marks)
6bi) ethical issue with using an observation (2 marks)
6bii) methodological issue with using an observation (2 marks)
7a) what does the table show about the culture variations in attachment? (2 marks) (except for all countries having secure attachment as the most common type)
7b) draw a bar chart to show the insecure attachment types (3 marks)
7c) how is the behaviour of infants with insecure resistant attachment type different from a securely attached infant? (2 marks+2 marks)
8a) outline the learning theory of attachment (4 marks)
8b) outline one or more study which has criticised the learning theory of attachment (4 marks)
9) What are the effects of institutionalisation? (other than aggression) (4 marks)
10) what has research into daycare shown about the child's social relations (4 marks)
11) outline how research into attachment has influenced child-care practices. (4 marks)
/72

any updates on this?

10 doesn't sound quite right. I swear 7a was a 4 marker? Well done for remembering it all! :smile:
Original post by Xzina
10 doesn't sound quite right. I swear 7a was a 4 marker? Well done for remembering it all! :smile:

7a was definitely a 2 marker. Because they all add up to 36 marks for section B. As for the penultimate question, I believe it phrased 'outline one study on the effects of day care on children's social development.' And then I think it told you to talk about how the study was done including the procedures etc.

Quick Reply

Latest